Mike from Austin Tx. - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 11 Old 04-19-2009, 07:21 AM Thread Starter

View mike888's Photo Album My Photos
Lightbulb That crow is tasty

New to the forum and online community. Found it yesterday and was delighted with the amount of information contained within. As well as the helpfulness and amiable attitude shared by all.
So about myself, been making sawdust in Tx. full time for a decade now, of course been building since I can remember. As I'm sure most of the guys here can relate to it doesn't seem like a hobby or profession. It's what I do. Almost compulsory.
I was that kid who never left the shop in high school, skipping classes to finish projects and framing houses with the teacher on the weekends. Spent a couple years in the electrical field mainly because it seemed interesting at first (that wore off quick) managed to obtain an Associates in Elec. Eng. before I realized that standing back and admiring a well wired breaker box paled in comparison to tuning my solid cedar strat or pulling a bent lam chair leg out of the form.
I'll work with just about anything, instruments, custom entry doors, framing, milling, trim, roofing, custom cabinets, arbors, flooring, furniture and turnings. Certifiable tool junkie to boot. Can't finish worth a damn however. I mean it is shameful how fast I can muck that up.
Been working on getting my own business up and running here lately which is how I eventually stumbled across this forum. I have a library of reference books for most disciplines in construction and enjoy any opportunity to further my knowledge and sharpen my skills. But no library on earth can compare to the voice of experience.
I know enough to know I don't know jack and that is why I'm here. To learn and hopefully share some of what I've picked up.

New to the site and the whole forum thing. So, of course, right out the gate I misinterpret the first response and end up looking like an ass. Well, sorry to anyone who witnessed that display of idiotic rejoinder. I did come here looking for some insight and looks like I found some, just not where I expected. In short, lesson learned.

Last edited by TexasTimbers; 04-19-2009 at 02:11 PM. Reason: Merged Threads
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 04-19-2009, 08:21 AM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
????????????????????

G
post #3 of 11 Old 04-19-2009, 08:52 AM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike888 View Post
Well. I feel like an ass. Apologies all around, especially to Timber King. Completely misconstrued your intent. New to the forum thing, seemed like a shot. No excuse really... I'll tuck my tail and turn. Really embarrassed about the whole thing, completely inappropriate of me. What a way to start it out... Once again, sincere apologies.http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/image.../surrender.gif

Consider yourself initiated. And, Timber King...AKA Texas Timbers is really a fun guy...really.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 04-19-2009, 09:00 AM

View phinds's Photo Album My Photos
[quote=mike888;77300]New to the site and the whole forum thing. So, of course, right out the gate I misinterpret ... quote]

Mike, it's a lot like email ... you have to err on the side of starting out with the assumption that the other guy is actually being friendly regardless of how it sounds on first reading. On those rare occasions when that assumption is wrong, the other guy's a jerk and you don't need to sweat it, but by starting w/ that assumption you avoid unnecessary wars. I started a few email wars myself before figuring that out.

Cheers ...

You can never have too much pepperoni on your pizza or own too many clamps.
www.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/
post #5 of 11 Old 04-19-2009, 09:53 AM

View Rick C.'s Photo Album My Photos
I like crow!!!Rick
post #6 of 11 Old 04-19-2009, 10:22 AM
SS user

View Gene Howe's Photo Album My Photos
Mike,
Your "Tasty Crow" post was/is classy.
post #7 of 11 Old 04-19-2009, 11:51 AM
Senior Sawdust Producer

View Leo G's Photo Album My Photos
He Mike, welcome to the club over here. I saw your thread but already posted an answer on a different forum. You'll find a little more freedom over here as opposed to WW. Watch for the smilies, emoticons. They will give you a hint on if the poster is being a bit sarcastic or not. Just have a good time, learn something and try to impart as much knowledge as you can.

Measure Twice Cut Once -- It's a lot easier to cut more off then it is to cut MORON.
Finishing is 3 parts chemistry and 1 part VooDoo http://lrgwood.com
post #8 of 11 Old 04-19-2009, 12:41 PM Thread Starter

View mike888's Photo Album My Photos
After talking with my wife about this she informed me that there is no derisive laughter smiley and it was indeed a jovial emoticon. How mindless can I get. Just needed to come back to earth I guess. Anyway, thanks guys.
post #9 of 11 Old 04-19-2009, 05:59 PM

View Conner's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome. We lived down in the Austin area for three years from 03-06 before moving back up here and we really loved it.
post #10 of 11 Old 04-19-2009, 06:24 PM

View firehawkmph's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome to the forum Mike,
Anybody named Mike can't be all that bad.
Just a test, you passed.
Mike Hawkins
post #11 of 11 Old 04-19-2009, 08:45 PM

View Tony B's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome Mike

Hope we can learn something from you also.
I visit Austin from time to time. Nice town.

Tony B Retired woodworker, among other things.

"Strive for excellence and settle for completion" Tony B

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode