Mangling wood in central PA! - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 9 Old 05-02-2010, 07:11 PM Thread Starter

View beelzerob's Photo Album My Photos
Mangling wood in central PA!

I'm new to just about all aspects of this, and I can't say why woodworking really appeals...but heck, Ive started other hobbies with less reason than this, so onward!

I live in the very center of PA, between State College and Altoona, and I wish desperately there was a woodworking club around here. I fear otherwise I will simply be the product of every youtube video and DIY how-to the internet can offer...and I know that is nothing compared to about a half hour with an experienced woodworker. *sigh* Oh well.

I've got a benchtop table saw, a contractors mitre saw, a basic drill press and a Grizzly bandsaw (the only piece I can really take pride in). And assorted (power) hand tools, mostly Porter Cable.

Im just starting, so please forgive some of my dumber questions. Rest assured I've already scoured the internet for the answer before I ask it here!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 05-02-2010, 07:33 PM
Forgotten but not gone

View TexasTimbers's Photo Album My Photos
You can meet other woodworkers by using forums like this. But I figure you haver a woodworking club somewhere in your area, you just have to find it. What's the largest town near you? Check with the COC, universities and community colleges almost all offer woodworking courses, or used to. I know most of the high schools have quit teaching shop class.
post #3 of 9 Old 05-02-2010, 07:43 PM Thread Starter

Naw, there can't be a woodworkers club around here, google said there wasn't!

I figured this was as good a place as any to try and find some. My nearest "big" town (only in comparison) is Altoona. State College is pretty large too, and certainly more popular.

I've considered classes (not that I'm aware of any), but I'd rather have a bunch of old-timers show how it's done that I can just absorb info from. Still...a class is probably a good way to network woodwork.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 05-02-2010, 07:54 PM

View Itchy Brother's Photo Album My Photos
I dont know if you know the do's and dont's safety wise.The first project I made was a crosscut sled for the table saw.There are many versions online.Good luck and watch the fingers.Itchy
post #5 of 9 Old 05-02-2010, 08:07 PM Thread Starter

Ya, I've spent quite a bit of time watching tutorial videos on youtube and researching plans for that stuff. Basically, I want to make picture frames, which means making a table saw sled. I'm basing my work off of the "super sled" on youtube, and Im at the point where he drills holes with the drill press...but my current drill press table is woefully inadequate, so *now* I'm working on a drill press table....

At this point I'm basically absorbed with making the TOOLS that will help me actually make stuff. But in the process, it's a good primer for using the tools and getting comfortable with the basics.

The table saw scares me the most, and I've got a very healthy respect for it. At some point I'm probably going to post asking for how to put in a riving knife, and a zero clearance insert, because it needs both.
post #6 of 9 Old 05-02-2010, 08:16 PM
Forgotten but not gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by beelzerob View Post
. . . I'd rather have a bunch of old-timers show how it's done that I can just absorb info from. . .

Speak and it shall be done. You don't need a bunch of old timers, one will do. You ought to subscribe to his Mastering Woodworking series. You can watch the videos at your leisure - start from video 1 and work through at your own pace. The best bang for the buck in woodworking IMHO.

If you subscribe send him an email and tell him some crazy Texas guy sent you.
The Following User Says Thank You to TexasTimbers For This Useful Post:
beelzerob (05-02-2010)
post #7 of 9 Old 05-02-2010, 08:26 PM Thread Starter

Awesome, I can't get enough of resources like this. Makes for good mealtime entertainment! Thanks! I'm already 1/4 the way into the table saw safety video.
post #8 of 9 Old 05-17-2010, 12:01 PM

View reelmccoy's Photo Album My Photos
I also am a newbee here but have been working with the woods for for about 60 years now from the model car to buildings.safty first measure twice and cut on.
post #9 of 9 Old 05-17-2010, 12:27 PM
Forgotten but not gone

Welcome aboard real McCoy. Glad you found us.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode