Making sawdust . . . - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 18 Old 03-18-2011, 12:00 PM Thread Starter

View sailingjlw66's Photo Album My Photos
Question Making sawdust . . .

Just recieved a Delta 46-700 from a friend and have a few basic questions. I ran a metal lathe years ago in the Coast Guard but I have never used a wood lathe. It did not come with tools so I would like to purchase a 8-piece set of "better than beginners" turning tools; what should I expect to pay? The RPM range is from 500 to 2000; what is the "rule of thumb" for turning speeds? Hardwood high RPM?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 03-26-2011, 12:02 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingjlw66 View Post
Just recieved a Delta 46-700 from a friend and have a few basic questions. I ran a metal lathe years ago in the Coast Guard but I have never used a wood lathe. It did not come with tools so I would like to purchase a 8-piece set of "better than beginners" turning tools; what should I expect to pay? The RPM range is from 500 to 2000; what is the "rule of thumb" for turning speeds? Hardwood high RPM?

Please take my name off of this site . . .
post #3 of 18 Old 03-26-2011, 02:25 AM
No Longer Here

View rrbrown's Photo Album My Photos
How did no one respond to this guy. We usually greet everyone but I really don't remember seeing this post before now.

If your still out there, Welcome. My set was $100 but I would say up to $200 depending on where and what brand. They have charts for the speeds and such if your still there maybe someone will post.

This post also is more of a question that should have been in the turning category. Your intro should say a little about yourself, your experience level and interest. However I still dont know how I or everyone else missed this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 03-28-2011, 02:37 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Richard. OK My name is Joe Wilson, I'm 65, and I live in Charleston, SC. My dad was a woodworker/boat builder as a hobby and I always had my own smaller projects in his shop. While working and living in Savannah GA in the 80’s, I gutted and renovated a house built in 1875. Walls were moved along with a staircase and the overall SqFt was increased by about 1/2. Since that time I retired (43 years) from the US Army Corps of Engineers. I have always enjoyed woodworking and being retired I'm always looking for new projects. My avatar is my latest project - a sign for my shop. And yes I would like to have that wood/RPM chat. Thanks again for the welcome . . .
Joe
post #5 of 18 Old 03-28-2011, 03:54 PM
No Longer Here

Ok Joe I have a chart for drill press not lathe. I may have been wrong since I thought the drill press chart I have was the one I was thinking of. I use a scraper to turn wood pens and my lathe is on high all through the process.

The general rule is larger chunk of wood slower speed. Maybe someone else can chime in with more info.
post #6 of 18 Old 03-28-2011, 04:14 PM
Scotty D

View mdntrdr's Photo Album My Photos

Scott
OH, wait a minute ............Yep!.............That's what he said!

"Like" us on facebook
www.ScottyDsWoodworks.com
Watch Our YouTube Video
post #7 of 18 Old 03-28-2011, 04:15 PM

View davesplane's Photo Album My Photos
hello joe
i have a 46-700 delta lathe too!
i dont use any speed refrence charts to determine what speed i need to use, just instinct.
are you looking to do spindle work, bowls or pens?
post #8 of 18 Old 03-28-2011, 05:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by davesplane View Post
hello joe
i have a 46-700 delta lathe too!
i dont use any speed refrence charts to determine what speed i need to use, just instinct.
are you looking to do spindle work, bowls or pens?
The lathe was given to me by a cabinetmaker friend who is closing shop. I brought it home, pulled the cover, dusted, oiled, tightened, checked, and figured out how the RPM changer works. The only thing not properly working was the RPM changer but a little WD40 and some "gear changing" while running solved that problem.

So, I'm not sure what I'll make; I have made tables in the past so I may start with a set of legs – not sure. Lightning killed a large red oak tree in my yard and I going to use some of the wood to make something. The guy that gave it to me requested a “fish bat”; so that will probably be my first project. My son has challenged me to make a chess set but that may be a little down the road. Too many pawns. . .

Joe
post #9 of 18 Old 03-28-2011, 08:02 PM

Smile

you could go to your local woodcraft store get some decent gouges, woodriver tools are decent tools without the robert sorby price tag or just hit the harbor freight.
I still have a set of the hf tools that I use but @ 35.00 it was cheap enough to beat up and learn to sharpen and how to use them.
If you are new to turning wood maybe you should take a class and get some ideas for what you would like to make.
post #10 of 18 Old 03-28-2011, 11:39 PM

View Itchy Brother's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome Joe,we really are a great bunch here and welcome all.I just missed you.

***For the record*** Ive made hundreds of guitar bodies,never put one together and cant play a note.
post #11 of 18 Old 03-29-2011, 05:47 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itchy Brother View Post
Thanks Itchy, It's good to know where the knowledge is located. Lots of good information; I'm glad that I found this site . . .

Joe

The creator always knows the errors.
post #12 of 18 Old 03-29-2011, 10:40 PM

So tell me joe what problems did you have with your rpm "gears"?
post #13 of 18 Old 03-30-2011, 12:57 AM

View sawdustfactory's Photo Album My Photos
Joe, don't buy a set of tools...too many that you probably won't use/like once you get some time at the lathe. Start with a 3/4" roughing gouge, a 3/8" spindle gouge, a parting tool and 1/2 inch bowl gouge. If you want to increase your frustration level, get a skew. As for lathe speeds, I use a simple formula: diameter of the work piece times rpms should fall between 6000 and 9000 (6" bowl at 1000-1500 rpms). Of course if your wood is out of round to start, you may want to adjust this down a bit. Good luck and have fun.

That bowl was perfect right up until that last cut...
post #14 of 18 Old 03-30-2011, 02:54 AM

View woodjoiner's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Hey, welcome to the forum
I'm not what you would call a woodturner, that is I don't have that much experience with woodturning but I thank you can find what your looking for at this site.
http://aroundthewoods.com/ They have alot of information on woodturning.

You will always learn by doing, so I've learned.
Only trying to help ~Leon~
bestwoodenthings.com
post #15 of 18 Old 03-30-2011, 01:03 PM Thread Starter

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by davesplane View Post
So tell me joe what problems did you have with your rpm "gears"?
The ratchet handle that adjusted the RPM is missing and the actual shaft and associated mechanism was frozen and needed a little WD40. Also the inside and outside speed pointers were not in -line with one another. So once the WD40 did its magic, I simply turned the lathe on and went from 500 to 2000 RPM repeatedly. The inside pointer seems to be the best indicator; therefore, I adjusted the outside pointer to match the inside pointer. . .

Joe

Last edited by sailingjlw66; 03-30-2011 at 01:11 PM. Reason: 500 to 2000
post #16 of 18 Old 03-30-2011, 01:09 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawdustfactory View Post
Joe, don't buy a set of tools...too many that you probably won't use/like once you get some time at the lathe. Start with a 3/4" roughing gouge, a 3/8" spindle gouge, a parting tool and 1/2 inch bowl gouge. If you want to increase your frustration level, get a skew. As for lathe speeds, I use a simple formula: diameter of the work piece times rpms should fall between 6000 and 9000 (6" bowl at 1000-1500 rpms). Of course if your wood is out of round to start, you may want to adjust this down a bit. Good luck and have fun.
Sawdust, Thanks for the advice! I might just go to Sears and buy the $100 set for beginners . . .

Joe

The creator always knows the mistakes.
post #17 of 18 Old 04-01-2011, 02:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itchy Brother View Post
Great Noobie projects in your photos!! What kind of glue do you use for lathe projects?

Joe

The creator always knows the mistakes . . .
post #18 of 18 Old 04-01-2011, 02:27 PM
No Longer Here

Quote:
Sawdust, Thanks for the advice! I might just go to Sears and buy the $100 set for beginners . . .

Joe

The creator always knows the mistakes.
Joe That's the set I have they are a lot nicer then the cheap HF set I use to have. HF does have a new set that is much better then the old set I had but not quite as nice as the sears set.

I told you we're usually good with advice and welcoming people to the forum. I don't know why everyone missed your first post but glad you hung in there.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode