M. Clay wants woodshop - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 12 Old 05-23-2010, 06:54 PM Thread Starter

View mclay's Photo Album My Photos
M. Clay wants woodshop

I am a teacher in New Orleans. My school is from 4th to 8th grade. The students are high risk and families are low income. I know what a woodshop did for my son in Washington State. Why aren't there woodshops in schools down South. Yet there are schools closing shops in other school around the country. Does anyone have any ideas on how I can get a wood shop started in my school? Or, does anyone know schools that are closing woodshops that? I would love to communicate with these administrators. Our students in New Orleans can be taught these skills to help enhance their lives and their community. We are still rebuilding. Having a woodshop can give them something to do, since we don't have a "boy/girl's club in a city whose crime rate is high (top three in country if not first). I simply want to start a line of communication with people who believe that having these types of activities bring so much to reality for students. Today they have no earthly idea how things are made, where things come from, and how they get there.
Thanks,
Weary teacher
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 05-23-2010, 07:39 PM
No Longer Here

View rrbrown's Photo Album My Photos
MClay I'm from St Bernard and only left after Katrina. From what I remember Orleans Parish schools were lucky to have money to keep the rain out much less any thing like a wood shop. I guess they got the schools fixed up after Katrina and if so your still fighting an uphill battle to get them to afford such a class but I think it is a good idea.

First I would say contact whoever has a say in the viability of a wood shop and offer to try and get donations and fundraisers to get the equipment and materials to get started and see if they will go for it.

Next I would contact SawStop for sure for a table saw. I know they will help if not donate one and it will help with any insurance insurance issues for the school. I would then try and contact other manufactures or machine supply companies for any assistance they could offer. You will then have a better idea how much support you have and still need. Now you can try and come up with fundraisers to get the rest. This would all hinge on you having the support of the parents and community to be successful.

Good luck and I hope this helps
post #3 of 12 Old 05-23-2010, 09:05 PM

View phinds's Photo Album My Photos
My understanding is that although tight funds are one reason for cutting out shop classes, in our litigeous society, liability is by far the main reason. Little Johnny acts like a moron and gets hurt entirely through his own stupidity/carelessness, and his father sues the school for having dangerous equipement around and waivers just don't cut it. It's just amazing what juries will award to people who too stupid to be allowed out in public.

Good luck with overcoming that.

Paul

You can never have too much pepperoni on your pizza or own too many clamps.
www.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 05-24-2010, 01:04 AM

View JohnK007's Photo Album My Photos
Somebody also said on a recent thread here lately that schools are evaluated and federal and state monies given out on how they score in certain core subjects, and since shop classes isn't one of the criteria, the schools don't want to invest in these classes. I haven't a clue if that's correct or not, but it sounded logical to me. Especially in these depressed economic times. I know here in northern Illinois they're laying off teachers and staff left and right. Money is probably tight in every school district so couple that with the potential for liability, and the fact that, at least around here, the "everyone has to go to college to be successful" mentality, and the stage is set to do away with shop or vocational training. It's really a shame. I wish you luck M. and hope you can convince your administrators to give it a go.
post #5 of 12 Old 05-24-2010, 01:46 AM

View phinds's Photo Album My Photos
I asked my wife about all this, since she is a middle-school teacher and has taught high school as well. Her take is that shop classes have gone the way of the dodo bird ... in the Ithaca, NY school system they have not gotten rid of "shop" at all but it is now a high tech item where kids study robotics and CAD and other things, with no woodworking involved.

I have no idea whether or not she's right on this one. She says budget and liability are just not the issue at all. Her belief is that if kids wanted wood-shop they'd get it but they are more interested in high-tech stuff.

You can never have too much pepperoni on your pizza or own too many clamps.
www.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/
post #6 of 12 Old 05-24-2010, 02:01 AM
No Longer Here

Well here the high school has wood and metal shops on campus along with classes in automotive and other tech classes that are available through a local college for 11th and 12th graders. I live kind of in the country but we are just 8 miles from Baton Rouge, La which isn't a big city itself.
post #7 of 12 Old 05-24-2010, 05:45 AM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Wht not combine the two

Quote:
Originally Posted by phinds View Post
My understanding is that although tight funds are one reason for cutting out shop classes, in our litigeous society, liability is by far the main reason. Little Johnny acts like a moron and gets hurt entirely through his own stupidity/carelessness, and his father sues the school for having dangerous equipement around and waivers just don't cut it. It's just amazing what juries will award to people who too stupid to be allowed out in public.
Good luck with overcoming that.

I asked my wife about all this, since she is a middle-school teacher and has taught high school as well. Her take is that shop classes have gone the way of the dodo bird ... in the Ithaca, NY school system they have not gotten rid of "shop" at all but it is now a high tech item where kids study robotics and CAD and other things, with no woodworking involved.
Paul
A CNC router which the kids could build and program that would make wooden projects, cabinet pieces and who knows what else, would be the best of both worlds. JMO bill

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #8 of 12 Old 05-24-2010, 10:52 AM

View JohnK007's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnthings View Post
A CNC router which the kids could build and program that would make wooden projects, cabinet pieces and who knows what else, would be the best of both worlds. JMO bill
THAT'S a good idea !
post #9 of 12 Old 05-24-2010, 11:13 AM
No Longer Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnK007 View Post
THAT'S a good idea !
I agree
post #10 of 12 Old 05-24-2010, 11:26 PM

View Itchy Brother's Photo Album My Photos
This hits a nerve with me.I think the people that can make the changes wont because they believe all people should go to college.Think about it.Politicians went there to get where they are.Professors and teachers went there.What blue collar skilled worker is in any position to make a difference.Our country,and I love my country,is a nation of mostly service workers.We are skilled workers bankrupt.This is no refection on you Mclay because you definately got your head straight,keep on tryin.Itchy

Last edited by Itchy Brother; 05-24-2010 at 11:28 PM.
post #11 of 12 Old 05-25-2010, 02:54 AM

View uirobot's Photo Album My Photos
I need a guide too

Size 42.3mm*42.3mm*13.5mm integrated stepper motor driver/controller
post #12 of 12 Old 05-25-2010, 05:44 PM
Thumb Nailer

View dbhost's Photo Album My Photos
FWIW, not exactly wood shop, but our local school districts here offer "Construction Technology" classes which teach kids pretty much all the ins and outs of building a building. Typically speaking they build things like small service buildings and sheds for the school district and city... I believe they have built sheds for lower income residents as well...

Interested in my woodworking, workshop and whatnot? See http://daves-workshop.blogspot.com, want to see my other interests such as hunting, fishing, off roading, and camping? See http://wildersport-outdoors.blogspot.com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode