Looking for someone to build me something - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 7 Old 01-17-2010, 08:18 PM Thread Starter

View natalie67's Photo Album My Photos
Looking for someone to build me something

Hello Handy people.
I hope you don't mind my coming on this site when I am not a 'handy' lady. I am a senior, and I have arthritis and carpal tunnel in my hands. I have been looking for FOUR hours on the net for a cat tree for my pets. Everything is either cheaply made of cardboard or pressboard, too narrow, or unsafe ; or it is ridiculously priced. My cats are active young male bruisers, one about 20lbs, and one is about 25lbs. They are just big guys, not fat. I need something that isn't going to fall over when they play on it, and something that won't do too much harm to my fixed senior income. I am looking for safe over fancy. I don't need it to be over four feet high, should have a good wide base I would think, and its ok to just have a little condo and perch, so that each cat has at least something. I am in southern oregon, so if anyone fairly close (to cut back on shipping) would be interested in making something like this to sell me, I would appreciate hearing from them. Many thanks.
natalie67
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-18-2010, 12:29 AM
SS user

View Gene Howe's Photo Album My Photos
If you haven't found anyone closer, I'll build what you want for the cost of the shipping. It would be just pine and plywood, unfinished. You'd need to furnish me with a sketch of what you want.
I'm in AZ. Zip is 85937, if you want to figure the shipping costs. figure 30 lbs weight. Might be a little lighter.
Gene
post #3 of 7 Old 01-18-2010, 07:48 AM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Howe View Post
If you haven't found anyone closer, I'll build what you want for the cost of the shipping. It would be just pine and plywood, unfinished. You'd need to furnish me with a sketch of what you want.
I'm in AZ. Zip is 85937, if you want to figure the shipping costs. figure 30 lbs weight. Might be a little lighter.
Gene
Gene, for the cats to use it, it will also have to be totally carpeted.

G
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 01-18-2010, 02:44 PM Thread Starter

View natalie67's Photo Album My Photos
Gene,
Thank you for this kind offer. As George C. said, it would have to be covered. Otherwise I'd be afraid the babies would get splinters. I am hoping to find someone in southern Oregon, as I don't want someone to do it just for the cost of shipping, I want them to make something from it as well.
Also, I am wondering if this request wouldn't get more response in another part of the forum. Can you advise on that?
Thanks very much,
natalie67
post #5 of 7 Old 01-18-2010, 03:42 PM
SS user

View Gene Howe's Photo Album My Photos
This is probably as good a part of the forum as any to make your request.

Here are a couple more forums to try. Surely there is someone closer to you.

http://www.forums.woodnet.net/ubbthr...reads.php?Cat=

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/
post #6 of 7 Old 01-18-2010, 05:44 PM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
If you google "cat trees" or "cat condos" you will get an extensive list of possible.

Some of the sites even offer free shipping and cat play trees for $75 and up.

If someone builds one for the the builder is not located in your home town the shipment is going to be very expensive.

George
post #7 of 7 Old 01-19-2010, 07:09 AM

View mmwood_1's Photo Album My Photos
Natalie,
Where in Oregon are you? I live in Corvallis. I would prefer to discuss the details via email, rather than on the forum. My email address is [email protected] . If you send me more details, such as a sketch, or online link to what you have in mind, I can determine what could be done. Also, I have no idea what your budget is for this. You may not realize what the cost of just the materials runs these days. However, I have a lot of scrap in the shop. I even have some carpet left from another job. Perhaps we can work something out. I get to southern Oregon now and then, as my daughter goes to school in Ashland. If you're anywhere in that vicinity, or not too far out of the way, perhaps the timing would coincide with my next trip down in February.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode