Lisa is clueless - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 5 Old 09-20-2011, 05:08 PM Thread Starter

View Lisa's Photo Album My Photos
Lisa is clueless

I found this site when googling how to make cake stands. I'm wanting to make a cake stand out of pine wood slabs that my landscaping neighbor cut. Everything I've found online has me buying pre-treated wood. I put the wood in the garage, but it's starting to mold.

I read a few forums on how to dry wood, but nothing fit my need specifically. I'm wanting to make the stands for a fall party in a few weeks.

I'm thinking about washing the wood with a bleach mixture, but I don't want to change the color of the wood. I was then going to bake it in the oven around 200 for 2 hours. Is this the best solution?

I plan to make a cake stand like this one:
http://www.oncewed.com/514/diy-weddi...ng-cake-stand/

I also want to drill holes in one of the slabs to display cake pops like they have done here:
http://www.somethingshinyblog.com/20...pop-stand.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 09-20-2011, 05:31 PM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa View Post
I found this site when googling how to make cake stands. I'm wanting to make a cake stand out of pine wood slabs that my landscaping neighbor cut. Everything I've found online has me buying pre-treated wood. I put the wood in the garage, but it's starting to mold.

I read a few forums on how to dry wood, but nothing fit my need specifically. I'm wanting to make the stands for a fall party in a few weeks.

I'm thinking about washing the wood with a bleach mixture, but I don't want to change the color of the wood. I was then going to bake it in the oven around 200 for 2 hours. Is this the best solution?

I plan to make a cake stand like this one:
http://www.oncewed.com/514/diy-weddi...ng-cake-stand/

I also want to drill holes in one of the slabs to display cake pops like they have done here:
http://www.somethingshinyblog.com/20...pop-stand.html

If you only have a few weeks, you just have to take a chance with what you have. Drying in an oven will likely draw out the moisture too fast and it will shrink, and crack. The round slab you linked to is a glue up of several pieces that have been edge jointed (straightened and flattened), and then it cut into a circle.

post #3 of 5 Old 09-27-2011, 01:36 PM

View mormile's Photo Album My Photos
OK I got time.

My sister would love one of these. She has some borch logs she wants turned into candle holders. I could make her a matching cake plate for Christmas.

What would be the best way to dry out a slice of log? How would I make sure no insects were in it? "Merry Christmas sis heres some termites"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 09-27-2011, 01:50 PM

View Daren's Photo Album My Photos
post #5 of 5 Old 09-27-2011, 02:36 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
you show 2 different approaches

Wood cut from the end of a log is often called a "cookie" because of the shape. It is all end grain, because the tree grew opposite to the thickness. End grain can be sealed but it wicks up the sealer rapidly. It will also develop splits or checks as it dries unevenly. It does have a rustic appearance and may be desirable for that reason. The bark showing may be what you want also. If you want a natural look then you need a clear sealer. If you're going to paint it then you can use a latex paint on both sides to seal and top coat it.

The other approach you showed was a glue up of long grain which is easier to seal. Kinda like the wood on a floor. Someone glued it up then either spun it on a lathe or used a router to round off the edges on the planks, then sanded it smooth.

Back to the cookies. The links Daren posted should help, if not
search here for more info on drying cookies. People have used micro waves, solar kilns and dehumidfier kilns to dry green or freshly cut wood. The faster you dry it without sealing the more it's likely to split. Sorry no easy fast solution.... bill

BTW the wood turners will have solutions for sealing green wood and Anchor Seal is one I know of, but the log ends must be sealed immediately after sawing.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 09-27-2011 at 02:39 PM.

Tags
drying, mold, molding, pine

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode