3Likes
  • 1 Post By flaursen
  • 1 Post By Steve Neul
  • 1 Post By flaursen

post #1 of 4 Old 02-11-2019, 09:48 AM Thread Starter

View flaursen's Photo Album My Photos
Laursen Boatworks

Morning I am Frank Laursen

The owner and gopher of my new company Laursen Boatworks.
I was a master mechanic up until the 13 Dec specializing in boats worked on everything but on that day the shop I worked for caught fire and was leveled taking every mechanical tool I own with it with limited insurance got a little snippet but nothing to replace my 38 plus years collection of tools was left with a huge life decision start again or start something I truly enjoyed with a hobbyist set of tools so I picked the latter and found out very quickly that shop space is extremely rare here and very expensive so I have a very small work space 10 x 20 and a trailer housing all of my woodworking equipment like a mobile workshop and work area is the shop space I am a registered wooden boatbuilder and have alot experience with wood working and general specialized finishing
my first project is a wood stripped canoe and work from there will post pics as it goes along
I Look forward to learning from all of you and hopefully I can return the favor

Capt Frank
mjadams61 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 02-11-2019, 10:34 AM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by flaursen View Post
Morning I am Frank Laursen

The owner and gopher of my new company Laursen Boatworks.
I was a master mechanic up until the 13 Dec specializing in boats worked on everything but on that day the shop I worked for caught fire and was leveled taking every mechanical tool I own with it with limited insurance got a little snippet but nothing to replace my 38 plus years collection of tools was left with a huge life decision start again or start something I truly enjoyed with a hobbyist set of tools so I picked the latter and found out very quickly that shop space is extremely rare here and very expensive so I have a very small work space 10 x 20 and a trailer housing all of my woodworking equipment like a mobile workshop and work area is the shop space I am a registered wooden boatbuilder and have alot experience with wood working and general specialized finishing
my first project is a wood stripped canoe and work from there will post pics as it goes along
I Look forward to learning from all of you and hopefully I can return the favor

Capt Frank
That's a shame, in my day if you worked for a company, the company supplied the tools with the exception of a tape measure and pencil. Then when I was an employer I supplied tools for everyone that would use them. There were a few that insisted on using their own tools but they didn't have to. I still think that is the way it should be.
mjadams61 likes this.
post #3 of 4 Old 02-11-2019, 12:21 PM Thread Starter

View flaursen's Photo Album My Photos
In the automotive field it has become standard for the tech to supply his own tools after everything that has happened I have just taken it as a sign from somewhere that I am not suppose to do that anymore so now the boatworks
mjadams61 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 02-11-2019, 12:42 PM
Ole Woodworker

View BigJim's Photo Album My Photos
That was a real bummer, sorry for your loss, that has got to be a really bad feeling. Over time you will get a new collection of tools back. In the meanwhile enjoy your new hobby. We are looking forward to seeing your projects.

http://www.diychatroom.com/
The Other
BigJim

If you do what you've always done, you will get what you've always got.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode