A kid from the Sixties - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 6 Old 08-15-2009, 04:24 PM Thread Starter

View killbucket's Photo Album My Photos
A kid from the Sixties

It's the end of an era. I just retired my last CRT. A 25" RCA Colortrak II, still works beautifully.

I was born in 1962. as a kid, I had to go to my RICH cousins' house to see TV at all, and THEY had a COLOR set, and a GIANT 19" at that. This was usually on Friday night, and as usual, my sole mission was to get my cousin to ask his parents if I could stay over. This would mean REAL breakfast cereals (at home I had, urgh, "puffed rice"...ick), and more importantly, saturday Morning cartoons, in COLOR! WOW!

I think I got Butch to hate me by gradeschool...hogging down his Frosted Flakes, dominating the "clicker" for the TV.

So in my book, a TV is more than the appliance it seems to you young-un's.
But I've no place or room for it...out it goes.

"FREE DINOSAUR- WORKS" printed on a 8.5 x 11", taped across it's face, and out to the curb it went. I turned around without a goodbye.

A landscaper's truck pulled up before I could even get back into the house.

I noticed that he didn't lift with his knees. Ouch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-15-2009, 09:59 PM
Senior Member Grandpa

View drcollins804's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by killbucket View Post
I noticed that he didn't lift with his knees. Ouch.
He will wish he had used his knees in another 20 years.

Welcome from another child from the 60's or to be more precise 1960. We had a tv but it was a 19 inch b/w sylvania. The clicker is busy typing right now. Didn't get a color set until about 70 and dad was the guy everybody got to fix their tv but those 19 inch b/w's never die when the tv repairman owns it.
Cereal? I was in gradeschool before I knew what cereal was. Breakfast was bacon and eggs. And you were out feeding the livestock when cartoons were on so they were a rare treat. Growing up on a farm was great. I didn't know what I was missing so I didn't miss it and Now I wish my kids had grown up with more of the chores like I had because they think it is awful to have to mow the yard with a 42 inch riding mower. I got to mow the same size yard with a 19 inch push mower.
Nuff of that
Welcome and post lots of pictures.
David
post #3 of 6 Old 08-20-2009, 06:54 PM
just a dude

View rocklobster's Photo Album My Photos
That's a nicely written "goodbye", Killbucket. Hopefully you said "hello" to something else.

Welcome to the forum.

Rob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 08-20-2009, 07:26 PM Thread Starter

I'm still here! Honey-Do's, ya know!

I've started burning bits on particleboard now, and the nice Onsrud's (that I still have) are put away for now. Wifey suddenly pictures trim on...everything.

I honestly WISH I never said anything about crown molding. If you're looking for a great reason to end it all, just get ONE room done, and then listen to how much the REST "looks plain now".

The ShopBot IS a joy to own. But it will make you feel like an idiot in danger in the process, like that SMART pretty girl you dated -once.

Bits go "CLINK" and try to take your ear off. Material from a hole center gets lodged on the bit, turning the whole machine into a vibrating meatsaw.

I've learned to save my last chunk of any material, for fear of not having it handy on a whim's notice. I think it's bad luck anyway, like using the "last match".

An old man in a hardware store once told me, "with every honey-do, buy a toy". Seemed like great advice at the time. Try wiggling out of fixing screens NOW. I got every implement for doing so...please don't look at my screens. It's not what I "do".

The scroll saw turned out to be its own sickness. I cut up anything that would go onto it. I cut out over 100, 1919 bodies on it! My right fingertip became dead, like "StoneFinger" himself. Nobody got this joke, especially my doctor.

But he DID write a note to my boss (Wifey!), recommending a "shop robot".

Doctor's Orders, honey.

Last edited by killbucket; 08-24-2009 at 10:52 AM.
post #5 of 6 Old 08-23-2009, 06:29 PM
red
Papa Red

View red's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome to the forum.

Red

Red
post #6 of 6 Old 08-24-2009, 10:56 AM Thread Starter

Thanks!

I got plans (from Hinckleymall, no longer extant) in the mail to make a Spandau gun, like the Red Baron had on his plane.

Many parts are going to be made of MDF, and I'll take pics as I go along.

I was going to make one back in my scrolling days, but the barrel shroud with it's ten zillion slots put me off.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode