Just your Luck.. Another Noob! :) - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 21 Old 08-06-2008, 09:24 AM Thread Starter

View wormwood's Photo Album My Photos
Just your Luck.. Another Noob! :)

Howdy from South Carolina.

I have been enjoying woodworking since my high school days and actually thought about becoming a cabinet maker when I was in school. Well, you know how things go, I went down a different road.

Anyway, I have never lost my love for woodworking.

I had built a nice 24 x 20 foot shop but because of family reasons had to sell that house, and now I have no shop at all.

I'm going to begin setting up a new shop in a smaller space, one slot garage, about 12 feet by 22 feet. I'll have to be very efficient with my lay out.

I have been a year with no shop and it is a big hole in my life. So I decided to sell my car (guy's picking it up tomorrow!) and drive my wife's old Honda Pilot to work. So this way I get a small wood shop.

I hope I can get ideas for effecient shop set up here, on this site.

Here is a web site I have that shows the kitchen in the house we had to sell:
http://pages.villagephotos.com/page.asp?page_id=3957

Anyway, glad to be here!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 08-06-2008, 09:57 AM

View Daren's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome. Nice to see something built from primarily solid wood for a change , good work.
post #3 of 21 Old 08-06-2008, 12:37 PM
Forgotten but not gone

View TexasTimbers's Photo Album My Photos
Beautiful work. Love the way you did the sink. I googled that Shaws Original sink, we haven't found the one we want for the dish sink in the kitchen yet. That one appeals to us both.

Welcome!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 Old 08-06-2008, 01:40 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for your kind words fellas!

I'll tell you, I have looked over the site and didn't see a section on "shop layout". I'm not the best with computers so I may have missed it.

If there is not a section like that, would you recommend how best to search the site to see ideas about shop set up? I'm having to try to make a shop in an area only about 12 x 22 feet. I'm sure many folks have had to do this before me and might have good ideas.

Thanks guys!
post #5 of 21 Old 08-06-2008, 01:47 PM
Forgotten but not gone

We do have a "Show us your shop" thread somewhere, but it depresses me so much I avoid it like the plague.

HERE is a thread with some good ideas though. Maybe it will help. There are other threads as well, but you have to hunt and pick. Try the search engine.
post #6 of 21 Old 08-06-2008, 02:13 PM Thread Starter

Thanks TT.

I guess since I'm doing such a tiny shop, I'll take pictures along the way and maybe make a thread for others to see that might have to make a tiny shop.

The over riding 2 ideas I have is to have nothing on the floor that does not have to be, i.e., suspend all shelving from the wall or ceiling and secondly, make all the equipment moveable so it can be rolled in and out.

That won't be ideal, but better than no shop at all!
post #7 of 21 Old 08-06-2008, 02:58 PM
Forgotten but not gone

If you want to see tiny shop, punch in the search engine "corndog" and wade through his early posts. now *thats* a tiny shop that feller worked out of.
post #8 of 21 Old 08-06-2008, 04:09 PM

View RLHERRON's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome, Very nice kitchen there. What part of SC? Florence here.
post #9 of 21 Old 08-06-2008, 04:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLHERRON View Post
Welcome, Very nice kitchen there. What part of SC? Florence here.

I'm in Spartanburg and I have a little place in Charleston as well.
post #10 of 21 Old 08-07-2008, 08:06 AM
Woodworking Firefighter

View firefighteremt153's Photo Album My Photos
wormwood. Thats some beautiful work you did man. I have been stock piling a bunch of black walnut just for that sort of project. I actually want to make my own cabinets and floors whenever me and my beautiful wife move into our "rest of our life home". How long did it take you to build those cabinets?

........................www.Jeremydillardwoodworking.com.........................

"Only those who risk going too far, can possibly know how far they can go"
post #11 of 21 Old 08-07-2008, 09:17 AM Thread Starter

I worked about 8-10 hours per day for 4 months except Sundays, i.e. about 800 hours maybe.

Then I un-retired so now life is a lot easier!!!!

:)
post #12 of 21 Old 08-20-2008, 01:32 PM Thread Starter

Update!

I'm making progress. I moved in all my machines except the shaper, lathe and jigsaw which I have no room for.

In moving the belt sander it tipped a bit and a bunch old sawdust fell on my sweaty hand.

After I finished, I went and sat in my chair inside and as I lifted a glass to my mouth I smelled it. The unmistakable smell of black walnut sawdust! Heaven.

Oh, this is goin' to be fun!

WW
post #13 of 21 Old 08-20-2008, 06:14 PM
Thumb Nailer

View dbhost's Photo Album My Photos
You did a beautiful job on that house. I am terribly sorry to hear you had to sell it though...

You would be amazed at how much equipment you can fit in a very tiny space. There are lots of users here, and on other ww forums that base their workshops out of small yard sheds, some no bigger than 10x12. So your one car garage would seem cavernous to them! Several members here also have mobile workshops based in cargo trailers...

Put your mind and creativity to it and you will be amazed at what you can do! But judging from that kitchen job, I figure you already know that...

Interested in my woodworking, workshop and whatnot? See http://daves-workshop.blogspot.com, want to see my other interests such as hunting, fishing, off roading, and camping? See http://wildersport-outdoors.blogspot.com
post #14 of 21 Old 08-20-2008, 07:00 PM

View firehawkmph's Photo Album My Photos
Great job on the kitchen. Whatever you put in your shop in the way of equipment, just make sure it is all on wheels. Much easier when you can roll everything out in the open to use it.
Mike Hawkins
post #15 of 21 Old 08-20-2008, 10:30 PM

View widekerf's Photo Album My Photos
Looking at the quality of that work, you may want to consider a u-turn on that road you went down. Truly beautiful and very sensitive to grain matching from the photos shown. Sounds like we have a similar house and shop experiences. I have gone from a 45 x 30' cinder block, dedicated wood-shop (115 AC outlets + 4 220 crcts.), to trying to figure how to work in an 8'x10' shed. So far I haven't even been able to get the few tools I have left IN the shop, much less fit myself in there with them. I have a 14" bandsaw, 6"joiner, 6" x 89" belt sander (that has to go), and my router table. 17" drill press, and a modest assortment of planes, chisels, and hand saws. I am starting to think about tooling up again and feel like a total rookie again. I know I am going to have to go with bench top tools and haven't kept current with them at all. I figure I can make do just fine with a benchtop planer (properly chosen), keep my jointer, trade drill presses, but I am totally stumped on a table saw. Power is not a major concern, as I keep sharp blades, but a really accurate fence and the ability to rip at least 24" are major considerations, and I have no idea who offers what. I am going to get started on a set of work/storage benches next week. I also realize that every inch of wall will have to be used for hand tool storage, so I have beenbusy trying to design small tool holder racks to hang on the walls w/french cleats. Keep us posted on the progress
post #16 of 21 Old 08-21-2008, 10:07 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by widekerf View Post
I am starting to think about tooling up again and feel like a total rookie again. I know I am going to have to go with bench top tools and haven't kept current with them at all.
I thought about selling all my stuff IF I couldn't get it to fit and buy a multi-purpose machine. I have never seen a "Shop-Smith "(I think thats what they call it) in person so I don't know how good they are, but fortunately I think i will be able to fit almost all my stuff in the small space.

I agree, the table saw, with input area and egress will be the biggest challenge. So far my idea is to use it at the front of the garage with the door open (as long as its not raining!)

Here's the biggest secret..... I'm actually trying to make everything fit in such a way that when I roll it all to the sides I can create a sports-car shaped space right in the middle.

See where I'm going with this?? :)

Cake and eat it too and all that.

I'm hoping that if I grow a little patience with rolling things around, I can not only have a woodshop, but get a fun car to play with as well.
post #17 of 21 Old 08-21-2008, 10:21 AM
Senior Member Grandpa

View drcollins804's Photo Album My Photos
WW
Do you have to deal with a HOA. If not I have seen a shop that the guy poured a decent concrete patio on the front and added an overhang to give him extra room for the just slightly bigger than the shop projects. I am currently working out of my basement and garage. Desperate for a Large shop. Have to do the Farm Equipment repairs in an open Tool Shed environment right now. Makes Winter and bad weather maintenance killers but does supply extra time to work on projects in the shop.
David
post #18 of 21 Old 08-21-2008, 10:40 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcollins804 View Post
WW
Do you have to deal with a HOA. If not I have seen a shop that the guy poured a decent concrete patio on the front and added an overhang to give him extra room for the just slightly bigger than the shop projects. I am currently working out of my basement and garage. Desperate for a Large shop. Have to do the Farm Equipment repairs in an open Tool Shed environment right now. Makes Winter and bad weather maintenance killers but does supply extra time to work on projects in the shop.
David

I suppose thats Home Owners Association?

Yes, I cannot build a structure, sadly, nor is enlarging the existing garage possible, :(
post #19 of 21 Old 08-21-2008, 11:10 AM
Senior Member Grandpa

View drcollins804's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by wormwood View Post
I suppose thats Home Owners Association :(
Yeah: I still live "in the middle of nowhere" as the guys at work put it but the closest town just recently went to a system where you have to get the permission of the City Code Enforcement Officer to builda Shed, Fence, Garage or any other structure on your lot.
David
post #20 of 21 Old 08-21-2008, 01:43 PM
Senior Member KE4TQP

View John in Tennessee's Photo Album My Photos
Just think of the $$$ that your hard work generated. That was beautiful work. Wish I could even have that kind of knowledge and talent.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode