Joined a while ago, never introduced - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 5 Old 09-09-2010, 11:07 AM Thread Starter
beginner to woodworking

View Marcus's Photo Album My Photos
Cool Joined a while ago, never introduced

Hello there gentlemen (and ladies). I am Marcus Yes it's my real name.

I joined here a while ago, haven't posted a lot and it's been a while since I've signed on here.

I'm still new and learning about woodworking. Got lots of tools thanks to craigslist, sales and Christmas last year. Made a few nick nacks here and there but nothing much to speak of. Unfortunately no pictures to show off

I have 2 goals for woodworking right now. One is my wife, 2 children (6 y/o girl, 4 y/o boy) have downsized and live in a smaller house now with little storage. I'm planning on making built-ins in one of our rooms that will cover 2 of the walls about 8' high and each wall being about 10' long. Insides will most likely be inexpensive plywood with the outsides a combination of quality plywood and finished stock. I'm hoping to get some good raised panel doors out of it .

That project will wait a little while though. My first project is we want a picnic table. Found a good plan for an octagonal table and plan to make it in the coming weeks. BUT, what I plan on doing is making it and trying to sell it through websites and local papers to make a profit. See how it goes.........there's no telling. I'm hoping the hobby will be beneficial to me and my family.

Anyway, in short, hello to all of you! Amazing the wealth of information on this site!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 09-09-2010, 11:10 AM Thread Starter
beginner to woodworking

View Marcus's Photo Album My Photos
And I forgot to mention, I don't really have a shop. I keep my tools in a shed and move them outside when I work. Table saw is a Ryobi portable. Not the best in the world but it gets the job done. Had a hell of a time trying to dial the thing in for straight cuts.

Is there anything bad about working outside when it's winter?? I live in SC so it gets cold but hardly ever any snow so I can work outside because I don't mind the cold.
post #3 of 5 Old 09-09-2010, 01:29 PM
Hickabilly

View mickit's Photo Album My Photos
Shop in a Box

That's what my wife calls it.I keep all of my tools in a 7x7 Shed and pull them out on the porch to work. A little aggravating but what can you do? Takes longer to get the table saw out than it does to set up and run. Tools include a Delta contractor saw and a 14" band saw. A plus is, it never gets very cold here.
Mick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 12-26-2010, 10:57 PM
In History is the Future

View firemedic's Photo Album My Photos
Shed blues

Uhg, I know all about the "shed" I recently moved for a new day job and bought a house with no shop... just a shed. Renovated my entire house over just under a yr out of that "shed"

2 weeks ago I managed to find an affordable solution. I found an old furniture warehouse that was no longer in use. I now have 8,400 sq ft of shop for dirt cheap!

i only use about 1/4 of it though... and that's spread out thin! lol
post #5 of 5 Old 01-04-2011, 12:50 PM

View Texas Sawduster's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome from Texas !!!

Welcome to the forum.
Yep have a half of a half of a double car garage as my shop. Have to share with the wife's craft stuff.
Remodeling my house as well out of the garage. But, it's out of the wind and rain.

Tools are like guns, You can never have enough.
Where did I put that tape measure???

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode