Introduction and help needed - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 3 Old 07-30-2016, 06:42 AM Thread Starter

View Vjekan's Photo Album My Photos
Introduction and help needed

Hello!

My name is Tom and I'm from Croatia Europe. I'm not in woodworking but would like to start sometime in my life.

I registered to this forum since I need help.

Little over a month ago I bought a wooden plank with the idea of making my own office desk. the dimensions are 180cmX80cmX4cm

The plank is factory made and is made out of glued smaller pieces of beech wood. The friend that hooked me up with the finished plank said it should be treated with some kind of polish (preferably some kind of polyurethane finish. He suggested a finish that is used in my location for protecting small wooden boats).
I planned on doing the finish but little over a month passed and now that I looked at the plank it had warped. :(

The pictures below display the state that the plank was stored for the last 40 days. Now I realize that this too may be wrong. But I am new to woodworking in general and didn't think it would make a difference.

To the final question. Is there any way I can reverse the warping of the plank to make it straight again?

I turned the plank the opposite way around so that now the warped part is pushing the plank to reverse the warping but I'm not sure that will work.

Any idea and suggestion is appreciated.

Thank you in advanced

Tom
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1621.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	249681  

Name:	DSC_1623.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	249689  

Name:	DSC_1622.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	249697  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 07-30-2016, 08:46 AM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome to the club.

If it were me I would remove the plastic wrapping and lay the plank flat on sticks on a level surface with the cup side up. This would do more to reverse the warping than anything you could do at this point.

Depending on the design the plank needs to be attached to the desk or at least a skirt fastened to the underside to keep if flat.

If the plank has some kind of finish on it now you need to find out what is on there before choosing a finish. Not everything adheres to everything else and polyurethane has more adhesion problems than most finishes. The boat finish would be a spar varnish. It may be great for a boat but not for a desk. A spar varnish is made soft to deal with being exposed to the temperature extremes of being in the weather. Since a spar is soft it scratches easier than an interior finish.

When finishing a table top everything shows in the finish. Brush marks you may not notice in woodwork will stick out like a sore thumb on a table top. I would recommend you get the means of spraying a finish. It doesn't have to be an expensive sprayer for wood finishes, most cheap sprayers will spray wood finishes just fine and some of the better finish require being sprayed. The best finish you could use on your desk would be a conversion varnish. When you do finish the desk be sure to put as much finish on the underside of the top as the top. This is important to prevent warpage.
post #3 of 3 Old 07-31-2016, 11:55 PM

View MarryU's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vjekan View Post
Hello!

My name is Tom and I'm from Croatia Europe. I'm not in woodworking but would like to start sometime in my life.

I registered to this forum since I need help.

Little over a month ago I bought a wooden plank with the idea of making my own office desk. the dimensions are 180cmX80cmX4cm

The plank is factory made and is made out of glued smaller pieces of beech wood. The friend that hooked me up with the finished plank said it should be treated with some kind of polish (preferably some kind of polyurethane finish. He suggested a finish that is used in my location for protecting small wooden boats).
I planned on doing the finish but little over a month passed and now that I looked at the plank it had warped. :(

The pictures below display the state that the plank was stored for the last 40 days. Now I realize that this too may be wrong. But I am new to woodworking in general and didn't think it would make a difference.

To the final question. Is there any way I can reverse the warping of the plank to make it straight again?

I turned the plank the opposite way around so that now the warped part is pushing the plank to reverse the warping but I'm not sure that will work.

Any idea and suggestion is appreciated.

Thank you in advanced

Tom
U searched the functions in software, i think it must have

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode