Intro from Oregon - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 14 Old 07-18-2011, 01:27 PM Thread Starter

View mrtr33's Photo Album My Photos
Intro from Oregon

Greetings.

My name is Mark, I live in Oregon now, but grew up in Louisiana. I've been dabbling in woodworking for about 5-6 years now, mostly building 2x4 furniture, frames, etc., but every once in a while I'll tackle a bigger project. I've made a couple of beds, tables, spice racks, etc. I also like to carve spoons out of scrap exotic woods - that's probably my "signature" piece, and one I've done fairly often.

After poking around the site, I've realized that I have absolutely nothing to offer anyone here - yall's work is beautiful, and I'm a definite novice. But I've come here to learn, I understand that I know nothing, and I'm willing to listen to those more experienced than I. Thanks for your patience and willingness.

I don't have much in the way of tools, an okay selection of some okay chisels, mostly cheap or middle-of-the-road power tools, but I have a lot of patience and a lot of precision and care in my work. In my mind, that goes far enough for what I'm building. The wifey still lets me make things we put in the house. I found out about this site after researching a Ryobi SC-160 scroll saw I just picked up at a garage sale this weekend for $25. It might not do what you guys need scroll saws to do, but it works just fine for what I need it to.

I'm a software developer, and sit in front of a screen quite a bit. But I also like to bake bread, fish (I just got into fly fishing) and enjoy an occasional cigar.

Thanks again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 07-18-2011, 01:39 PM
Scotty D

View mdntrdr's Photo Album My Photos

Scott
OH, wait a minute ............Yep!.............That's what he said!

"Like" us on facebook
www.ScottyDsWoodworks.com
Watch Our YouTube Video
post #3 of 14 Old 07-18-2011, 02:12 PM

View Paul W Gillespie's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome. This site is great and the people are very helpful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 07-18-2011, 02:13 PM
Cat Herder

View ChiknNutz's Photo Album My Photos
Hello there, just north of you in WA state. What part of Oregon? I have friends in Lebanon.

Chris A.
Live a life worth celebrating!

Ridgid R4221 12" CMS, R4330 Planer | Bosch MRC23EVSK Router, 1591EVSL Jigsaw, PB360S Power Box | JDS Air-Tech HP air cleaner | Grizzly 14" bandsaw (Laguna LT14 clone), Jet DC-1100VX-CK Dust Collector | Festool Rotex 150/5 FEQ, CT 36 E, ETS EC125/3, TS75, Domino XL | Incra "Works" LS25 router table | Grizzly G1023RL
post #5 of 14 Old 07-18-2011, 02:17 PM
Thumb Nailer

View dbhost's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome from a misplaced Oregonian doing the earning a living thing in Texas...

Interested in my woodworking, workshop and whatnot? See http://daves-workshop.blogspot.com, want to see my other interests such as hunting, fishing, off roading, and camping? See http://wildersport-outdoors.blogspot.com
post #6 of 14 Old 07-18-2011, 03:25 PM
SS user

View Gene Howe's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome.
I envy your access to the ocean's bounty. And I love me some fresh water fishies, too. Just not Salmon or Trout!
post #7 of 14 Old 07-18-2011, 05:54 PM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
post #8 of 14 Old 07-19-2011, 05:13 AM

View Bryanatkinson's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome to the forum!
It's nice to have some software developer in the community. I'm sure that you can give some nice suggestion when our computers go wrong.

My website :
Corner Shelf Shop
post #9 of 14 Old 07-19-2011, 11:15 AM

View JohnK007's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtr33 View Post

After poking around the site, I've realized that I have absolutely nothing to offer anyone here.....
Don't be silly Mark, of course you have something to offer! Your desire to participate, ask questions and learn new techniques is why this forum exists. I, for one, would like to see some of your carvings!

And you don't need expensive tools to do great work. In fact I believe the sign of true craftsmanship is being able to create quality things with the tools you have on hand. Oh, and scoring a scroll saw for 25 bucks rates a "you suck" in my book any day!

Enough of the scolding Buddy. Welcome to the forum Mark !! Glad to have you with us.
post #10 of 14 Old 07-19-2011, 11:25 AM
No Longer Here

View rrbrown's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome Mark. If you have questions try and make them as detailed as possible, adding pictures helps also in getting better answers.

What part of Louisiana are you from?
post #11 of 14 Old 07-19-2011, 01:14 PM
In History is the Future

View firemedic's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome! I live in south Louisiana.

Good to have ya...

~tom ...it's better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt...
post #12 of 14 Old 07-20-2011, 01:38 AM
DST

View DST's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome from another Oregonian
post #13 of 14 Old 07-20-2011, 09:05 AM Thread Starter

View mrtr33's Photo Album My Photos
Thanks for the warm welcome, everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiknNutz View Post
Hello there, just north of you in WA state. What part of Oregon? I have friends in Lebanon.
We live in central Oregon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Howe View Post
Welcome.
I envy your access to the ocean's bounty. And I love me some fresh water fishies, too. Just not Salmon or Trout!
We live rather far away from the ocean, and I've only ever done fresh water fishing. Kokanee's king here. Basically, I'd just be happy with throwing a line in the water - don't necessarily have to catch anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnK007 View Post
Don't be silly Mark, of course you have something to offer! Your desire to participate, ask questions and learn new techniques is why this forum exists. I, for one, would like to see some of your carvings!

And you don't need expensive tools to do great work. In fact I believe the sign of true craftsmanship is being able to create quality things with the tools you have on hand. Oh, and scoring a scroll saw for 25 bucks rates a "you suck" in my book any day!

Enough of the scolding Buddy. Welcome to the forum Mark !! Glad to have you with us.
Thanks. I'm actually working on a set now. I'll shoot some pictures and upload them when I'm done. In part, because I can't remember the name of the wood I'm using. Hoping some of ya'll could help me out with this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrbrown View Post
Welcome Mark. If you have questions try and make them as detailed as possible, adding pictures helps also in getting better answers.

What part of Louisiana are you from?
Will do. I grew up in Shreveport.
post #14 of 14 Old 07-21-2011, 12:03 AM

View damiano124's Photo Album My Photos
hello Mark,
how are you.
welcome to the forum.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode