intimidated about kitchen remodel - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 39 Old 02-11-2009, 12:40 PM Thread Starter

View wonderwoman's Photo Album My Photos
intimidated about kitchen remodel

I plan on re-vamping my kitchen cabinets and resurfacing my countertops. I have ALOT of questions, so be patient with me.
My cabinets are builder grade stock, medium oak with a satin sheen, wood grained plastic laminate side panels, trim and interior. I want to paint them white or cream (inside and out). --- I would like to know:
- how to best prep both materials, liquid sandpaper vs. sanding. I plan on using TSP to clean and remove build-up, so would I still have to etch surface after TSP?
- primer/paint options, water-base vs. oil-based. Wht/crm paint needs to be durable, easy to clean, stain resistant and non-yellowing, though it will not be in direct sunlight. I'd like to have a gloss finish- 1 coat? 2 coats? sealer top coat? I plan to use a graco magnum sprayer (first time, so I'll do a small bathroom cabinet before the ENTIRE kitchen).

My countertops are laminate, dated, but in great condition. I would like to re-surface them by either painting or applying wood veneer, and using envirotech or resin. I dont know the nature of these products, so maybe other options might be better suited. I would like the end results to be dramatic! Black, glass-like finish, or a deep, rich wood poly "spar" look.

I am very patient, eager to learn, and give great attention to detail. I want to do it right the first time, with professional results. I thank you for any comments and suggestions.

"Put me in coach..." Heather
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 Old 02-11-2009, 12:51 PM
custom woodworking

View YouNGwOOd's Photo Album My Photos
Thumbs up

Seriously.... I would start from new or reface all the cabinet finished ends and facing with a paint grade skin. Then refinish the doors and drawer fronts to match. Or buy some new doors for a whole new look. It would be a very messy job to do what you want, and sanding on plasic veener particle board is not a good idea.

"Just as easy to do it the right way......"

HCWSUPPLY.COM Hansen's Supply is a wholesale company that is now online.

RemoteHams.com is a global community for sharing real radios on the web. Enjoy listening to Aircraft, Boats, Ham Radio, Shortwave & more by joining our community today!
post #3 of 39 Old 02-11-2009, 12:57 PM
custom woodworking

View YouNGwOOd's Photo Album My Photos
Thumbs up

...... and with the counter tops you could do that using some contact spray adhesive and some laminate, with the right laminate triming tools. I could tell you a step by step process for any decision you make. I could right somthin up for you and post it later

"Just as easy to do it the right way......"

HCWSUPPLY.COM Hansen's Supply is a wholesale company that is now online.

RemoteHams.com is a global community for sharing real radios on the web. Enjoy listening to Aircraft, Boats, Ham Radio, Shortwave & more by joining our community today!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 39 Old 02-11-2009, 01:00 PM
Nobody

View BHOFM's Photo Album My Photos
Removed for safety purposes!

Last edited by BHOFM; 02-12-2009 at 01:54 AM.
post #5 of 39 Old 02-11-2009, 02:11 PM Thread Starter

The cabinet doors and frames are solid oak wood and do not need a new skin, its just the endcap of the cabinet 'run' is a woodgrain-look laminate, like the interior. I've seen it painted on tv, but don't know the 'secret' of getting the paint to adhere. I would want to etch it just enough to ensure the paint will not peel away.

Before I replace the countertop, tile or otherwise, I would like to try a unique application, successfully and on the thrift. Thanks for the responses! Heather
post #6 of 39 Old 02-11-2009, 03:02 PM
Nobody

Last edited by BHOFM; 02-12-2009 at 01:54 AM.
post #7 of 39 Old 02-11-2009, 04:19 PM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderwoman View Post
I plan on re-vamping my kitchen cabinets and resurfacing my countertops. I have ALOT of questions, so be patient with me.
My cabinets are builder grade stock, medium oak with a satin sheen, wood grained plastic laminate side panels, trim and interior. I want to paint them white or cream (inside and out). --- I would like to know:
- how to best prep both materials, liquid sandpaper vs. sanding. I plan on using TSP to clean and remove build-up, so would I still have to etch surface after TSP?
- primer/paint options, water-base vs. oil-based. Wht/crm paint needs to be durable, easy to clean, stain resistant and non-yellowing, though it will not be in direct sunlight. I'd like to have a gloss finish- 1 coat? 2 coats? sealer top coat? I plan to use a graco magnum sprayer (first time, so I'll do a small bathroom cabinet before the ENTIRE kitchen).

If the surfaces definitely are plastic laminate, they can be cleaned with lacquer thinner, or mineral spirits. If food substances are present, they can be cleaned with common soap solution or TSP. If they are plasatic laminate, they can be refaced with plastic laminate, and that would be the best surface. Painting over laminate is an iffy finish, as it can be scratched off. If you were considering spraying paint in your kitchen, that would be one big atmospheric mess. I would reface with plastic laminate. That would only require a scuff sanding to the existing laminate.

Quote:
My countertops are laminate, dated, but in great condition. I would like to re-surface them by either painting or applying wood veneer, and using envirotech or resin. I dont know the nature of these products, so maybe other options might be better suited. I would like the end results to be dramatic! Black, glass-like finish, or a deep, rich wood poly "spar" look.
Heather

Since the sink would have to be pulled to do anything to the existing top, painting falls into the same category...not a good idea. It can be relaminated. As for colors and finishes there is a myriad of colors in both matte and high gloss to pick from.

post #8 of 39 Old 02-11-2009, 05:07 PM Thread Starter

I still plan on spraying the cabinets, and, I guess "skinning" the sides, not painting the inside of the cabinets/drawers (I thought it would look good, but not practical). As for the overspray, it isn't a problem, I have removed the linoleum so I'm on sub-floor right now. I have no problem with removing the sink and have some drywall repairs on the ceiling/walls, so I'm used to the mess. I will get flooring in when daddy gets here in a few weeks. Fortunately, I have a kitchenette in the basement while the main kitchen is in transition. Till then, all I got is time to learn the best way to do this project! If y'all come across any ideas you think I might like, do not keep it to yourselves! Thanks for the feedback! Heather
post #9 of 39 Old 02-11-2009, 05:24 PM

View Tom5151's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
I still plan on spraying the cabinets, and, I guess "skinning" the sides, not painting the inside of the cabinets/drawers (I thought it would look good, but not practical). As for the overspray, it isn't a problem, I have removed the linoleum so I'm on sub-floor right now. I have no problem with removing the sink and have some drywall repairs on the ceiling/walls, so I'm used to the mess. I will get flooring in when daddy gets here in a few weeks. Fortunately, I have a kitchenette in the basement while the main kitchen is in transition. Till then, all I got is time to learn the best way to do this project! If y'all come across any ideas you think I might like, do not keep it to yourselves! Thanks for the feedback! Heather
It seems you have gotten some really great advice from people who know of what they speak. You seem to have a pretty clear idea about what you want to do. Perhaps you can post some pics when you have completed your project.

Good luck...
post #10 of 39 Old 02-11-2009, 05:45 PM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
I still plan on spraying the cabinets, and, I guess "skinning" the sides, not painting the inside of the cabinets/drawers (I thought it would look good, but not practical). As for the overspray, it isn't a problem, Heather

As long as you're fixed on spraying the exterior of the cabinets, and if they are laminated plastic (like a real Formica), I would scuff sand the laminate, then use a lacquer sanding sealer, and a lacquer topcoat. It will be a fast dry.

Or, you could use a waterbased polyurethane tinted to the color you want, and no sealer would be needed. It's less toxic than lacquer, and dries a bit slower than lacquer. I'm not recommending an oil base paint to spray as it takes too long to dry, and is subject to run easily.

In either case, you should be wearing the best respirator you can afford, and cover as much exposed skin as possible (including your ears and provide eye protection).

Vapors may permeate the whole house, even if the kitchen is blocked off. Try to get as much ventilation in the room as possible.

post #11 of 39 Old 02-11-2009, 05:54 PM

Location: 2 1/2 hrs from anywhere in PA. that's Pennsylvania, the state of precipitation.
View creative novice's Photo Album My Photos
wait !

to wonderwoman ....from another woman who just re-did her kitchen cabinets.,,,on a "no" budget budget. later tonight i will take pictures and post them for you. Perhaps you can take pictures of yours so we all can see and picture what you are writing about. Sometimes we (me) try to persuade others to take different routes! i wish i had pictures of my kitchen re-vamp before.....those pictures are probably really old when the house was new but i'll try to look for them as well.
post #12 of 39 Old 02-11-2009, 06:05 PM

Location: 2 1/2 hrs from anywhere in PA. that's Pennsylvania, the state of precipitation.
plastic lam sides?

Heather: are the side skins plastic or are they the glorified contact paper from the factory type? my cabinets were oak doors, oak stiles, composite board shelves with "contact" paper wood grain, sides were composite with "contact" paper sides etc....julie
post #13 of 39 Old 02-11-2009, 06:19 PM
Nobody

Last edited by BHOFM; 02-12-2009 at 01:56 AM.
post #14 of 39 Old 02-11-2009, 06:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative novice View Post
Heather: are the side skins plastic or are they the glorified contact paper from the factory type? my cabinets were oak doors, oak stiles, composite board shelves with "contact" paper wood grain, sides were composite with "contact" paper sides etc....julie
I think it's more like melamine (as opposed to contact paper) with a woodgrain print AND texture. It's in great condition. The real wood doors and stiles are in great shape too. They are Merillat cabinets, built very solid, maybe they are NOT builder grade. They just look dated (house built in 1987) and need a refresh. My kitchen is very dark and will have oak prefinished tongue and groove flooring, so the cabinets are screaming at me to be painted.
post #15 of 39 Old 02-11-2009, 07:11 PM

wonderwoman

heather... i found some pictures (old) that show a little of the kitchen...mine are merrilat too we built in 1983. anyway, give me a little time here and i'll post them and new pics i'll take here in a few minutes......Do you have bulk head? paneled or dry walled? what is your decor style/look planned? julie
post #16 of 39 Old 02-11-2009, 08:32 PM Thread Starter

Julie...There is open space above the cabinets. I thought about maybe building a simple frame for acrylic panels with backlighting, technically would that be a bulkhead? OR, adding crown moulding to top of cabinet to dress it up. The plan: Wallpaint= a dusty light olive green, ceiling 2 shades darker. Cabinets and trim= vanilla bean cream. Countertops black glass-like finish. All appliances=black and stainless steel. My laundry is in a closet in the kitchen and I removed the solid core doors thinking I would put in bi-folds, but I put up a tention rod with dark green shimmering curtain panels and it looks SOOOO dramatic, definitely going to keep this look. Now I need to ponder a good lighting plan. Also the refrigerator needs the waterline re-routed (a whole other story w/ q's to follow, I'm sure). The floor= 3/4", 2 1/4" t&g solid oak prefinished. Backsplash=depends on which way I go for the countertops, tile or tin ceiling tile. Whew...I gottalotta work to do. Heather
post #17 of 39 Old 02-11-2009, 08:50 PM

revamp kitchen

heather... i have been battling the internet system for the past two hours.....connection went, then came back, then went, made phone calls etc...so, i scanned old pics of what i found that shows my kitchen (not very well ) then i took pics of my kitchen now...the old ones are on "my photo album" on this web site.....i am going to now attempt to put the new pics on now...hopefully connection will stay with me and wind is really blowing so hope electric stays..... i'll explain about my revamp later too....but, i took out bulk head, removed bar top and bottom and moved those cabinets over agains the wall they used to come out of ....kept the bottom narrow cab out from the wall....built in behind it etc...added oak beadboard panels to the end skins of all , sanded all cabinets, restained poly'd and to that lower cabinet that was now out from the wall, made a door on the side and can now place large pizza pans trays back there..added a horizontal board and crown moulding to tops of cupboards and back lighting (rope) added new laminate countertop...(wilsonart hd) and daughter bought me new sink and faucets(it was my birthday!) i'll try to upload those now ...cross fingers...connection and electric
rats..lights are dimming now! darned wind! julie

rats
post #18 of 39 Old 02-11-2009, 09:01 PM Thread Starter

Julie...I posted photos too. Take a look! Heather
post #19 of 39 Old 02-11-2009, 09:28 PM

pics are up...under my album

i posted the pics..terrible photography..dark here
any way if you click on each pic i put a little story under them
  1. this project is not done/done. i still have to put another coat of marine poly on cabinets (ran out of fall weather)
  2. i think i decided on door hardware
  3. need yet to place on the little trim to cabs next to wall
  4. i have very picky/style taste...as antique as this house can handle
  5. i don't have excess funds and am cheap anyway...and i have picky style taste!
  6. i like to work on it and do it myself!
  7. ceiling repairs not yet painted (where they ran bolts down from the attic to hold the bar upper cabs from)
i went into this project completely bass-ackwards.
it was basically unplanned...long story..got new carpet in a hurry (grandbaby was coming for visit, 20 year old cat died ....need i say more? he was 20. cats like corners....cat died, i cried monday-thursday and then ran to carpet store on FRIDAY and asked what they could have in by next week!...ordered, came home, ripped up, replaced some underlayment (cat and leaky chimney damaged particle boards)...painted all through, pulled bar cabinets, replaced kitchen floor, foyer floor and they laid new carpet on THURSDAY! baby came monday and project on hold til mid-summer! then i planned!

Can you post pictures of your present kitchen?
what tools do u have, can u use and what is your budget?
julie
post #20 of 39 Old 02-11-2009, 09:39 PM

the tile or tin tile

ok...i am still out on the backsplash here...so i painted it for now. i had a really cheap way of doing this too (tin) ....but i got to thinking about how the spouse splashes every thing and doesn't wipe it or report it ...and i didn't want anything too busy back there because ordinary stuff on counters gets busy! (believe it or not but i have been doing so many dif projects around here that i really haven't decorated the kitchen counters yet). so for the backsplash i considered and am still considering:
  1. tin
  2. i didn't want tile ..too permanent for my frequent need for changes
  3. paintable embossed wall paper that looks like tin, faux painted copper or galvanized / tin
  4. beadboard...would've been too much, like they had a sale on it!
  5. paint.....not too busy, easy wash, easy change

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode