inside drawer finishing - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 13 Old 03-03-2009, 08:06 PM Thread Starter

View harlo01's Photo Album My Photos
Cool inside drawer finishing

I am refinishing some bathroom drawers (pine, I believe) and would like to know if the raw wood on the inside should be finished , and, if so, with what. I do not want to paint the insides if they need to be sealed. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 03-03-2009, 08:35 PM

View beanie's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome to the forum. I think it would be personal preference if they are painted or sealed, but they should be finished. When I make drawers I use a prefinished asian birch. Painting drawers is a pain.
post #3 of 13 Old 03-03-2009, 09:18 PM
HALL OF FAMER

View Kenbo's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome to the madhouse!! In answer to your question, I would put a finish on the inside of the drawers just to make cleanup a little easier, if for nothing else. As far as what to use, I'm not sure if there are any technical reasons for what product to use so maybe one of the other fellas could help out in that subject.
Ken

There is a very fine line between a "hobby" and a "mental illness"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 03-03-2009, 10:30 PM

View Tony B's Photo Album My Photos
I never finish the insides of drawers

Why? Because I havent seen any finish on higher end modern production furniture, older production furniture or antique hand crafted furniture. I don't know for sure why but I can only guess. Heat and humidity does strange things to some finishes and maybe it might affect clothing. Raw wood breathes.
I personally have never had a problem with raw wood
drawers.

Tony B

Retired woodworker, amongst other things, Sold full time cruising boat and now full time cruising in RV. Currently in Somerville, Tx
post #5 of 13 Old 03-03-2009, 11:59 PM
Chief pencil holder

View scribbles's Photo Album My Photos
I never finish drawers.
post #6 of 13 Old 03-04-2009, 12:29 AM
What Wood I Do

View gregL's Photo Album My Photos
I personally like to use a clear finish on the drawer insides, if for nothing more than to protect against stains that could possibly happen. You mentioned that you were building bathroom drawers. My bathroom drawers are more likely to have things in them that could spill, not to mention a location where more moisture will be there from long hot showers.
post #7 of 13 Old 03-04-2009, 06:21 AM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
I usually finish the inside of drawers with the same finish I am using for the rest of the inside of the unit.

G
post #8 of 13 Old 03-04-2009, 08:09 AM

View RussBoyd's Photo Album My Photos
finish

Very simple and surprisingly quick is to brush on some shellac. I had no problems with runs etc.. I Usually spray on what ever the carcass is using, but the shellac works for a painted unit. Russ
post #9 of 13 Old 03-04-2009, 08:42 AM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
I finish all drawers inside and out. You could use shellac. Lacquer or waterbased polyurethane also work well and dry very fast. All three of those finishes will leave the drawer pretty much odorless. Oil based finishes like oil, varnish, oil based polyurethane, and oil based paint will leave an odor for a very long time, and take longer to cure.

post #10 of 13 Old 03-04-2009, 07:58 PM Thread Starter

View harlo01's Photo Album My Photos
inside drawer finishing

First time I used this site and I really appreciate your immediate and expert replies. I will be back. Thanks
post #11 of 13 Old 08-11-2012, 06:15 PM

View anthonynazzaro's Photo Album My Photos
Good advise

[QUOTE=cabinetman;69639]I finish all drawers inside and out. You could use shellac. Lacquer or waterbased polyurethane also work well and dry very fast. All three of those finishes will leave the drawer pretty much odorless. Oil based finishes like oil, varnish, oil based polyurethane, and oil based paint will leave an odor for a very long time, and take longer to cure.

Great note! Almost made this mistake today before I read this.

Don't think the client would like their clothes to smell. Waterbased polyurethane it is.

Dose anyone know what I would need to thin it with if needed to spray through an air hvlp gun?

Thank you
post #12 of 13 Old 08-11-2012, 06:56 PM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabinetman View Post
I finish all drawers inside and out. You could use shellac. Lacquer or waterbased polyurethane also work well and dry very fast. All three of those finishes will leave the drawer pretty much odorless. Oil based finishes like oil, varnish, oil based polyurethane, and oil based paint will leave an odor for a very long time, and take longer to cure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonynazzaro View Post
Great note! Almost made this mistake today before I read this.

Don't think the client would like their clothes to smell. Waterbased polyurethane it is.

Dose anyone know what I would need to thin it with if needed to spray through an air hvlp gun?

Thank you
You can thin it with plain water. I usually don't thin more than 8%-10% (depending on the brand). About a " at the bottom of a 1 qt cup. Apply thin coats. Use a lot of light so you can see how wet your application gets. I suggest you experient with your HVLP gun and plain water first to get some experience. Maybe try it out on some cardboard boxes.

Last edited by cabinetman; 08-11-2012 at 07:02 PM. Reason: Typos
post #13 of 13 Old 03-21-2017, 04:16 PM

View Eldridge Custom's Photo Album My Photos
Ooooo ooooo pick me! pick me! I have thoughts!

Just came across this older thread while looking for suggestions on a product for finishing the inside of the drawers. Here is my opinion on the subject: Why are the store bought furniture pieces without finish on the insides? Because mass production machine shops use oil or solvent based finishes. If you use an oil finish inside something closed there is nowhere for the gases it releases to air out, and it will release for many years to come. So your clothes (in a dresser) come out of the drawer smelling like oil. So it is faster for them to just leave the insides un-finished, with the rationalization that it doesn't get much traffic in there anyway. It does mean that a drawer with a solid wood bottom in particular is more exposed to changes in moisture content and will expand and contract more that it would with a finish on it. So they will last, but they would last longer with a finish. The solution? Use a waterborne finish with low voc's (a.k.a. any waterborne finish available in a retail store... at least in Canada anyway, I assume the same for the U.S.A.).

Eldridge custom woodworking

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode