Im probably gonna drive you guys nuts, Sorry. - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 11 Old 08-28-2013, 10:55 AM Thread Starter

View Turbosaurus's Photo Album My Photos
Im probably gonna drive you guys nuts, Sorry.

Hello,
My name is Paula and I'm a weekend warrior. Im pretty good (and more experienced than I would like to be) at general construction, excellent at plumbing and electrical, but fascinated by woodwork where I have very limited experience. I like to solve problems and think outside the box and often think "I can do that" even when I clearly have no business believing it. Im always thinking "you know what would be even better" or I have an idea in my head and cant find exactly the right pre-made piece in exactly the dimensions I want, and therefor must have.

My Grandpa Joe was my best friend growing up. When we weren't fishing or playing together having fantastic adventures, he was building something. He passed away recently. I spent a lot of time watching him bend beams for cathedral ceilings and spiral staircases and build gazebos like they were going out of style, carving panels for fun before I was old enough to focus my attention. When I was old enough to appreciate and want to know "how" I didn't have the time to spend with him in the work shop. I really missed out.

He was a little bit master craftsman and a little bit quick and dirty carpenter depending on whether it was a labor of love (former) or a necessary repair (later). He always smelled like sawdust, and often when we would be in church on Sunday mornings when he kneeled at the pew the shavings of his most recent early morning project would puff and dribble out of his pants cuffs, LOL. To me its the most wonderful smell in the world.

I love everything about wood. From the beautiful majestic live tress to the grain of each piece and of course its incredible usefulness. Im a firm believer in "if you want something done right, do it yourself" and if its gonna get done wrong, better to have the learning experience than the contractor's bill.

This is a relatively new hobby for me, and like grandpa, sometimes it will be something functional and sometimes it will be something beautiful, rarely both, generally not finished in anything like a timely fashion, with lots of trial and error along the way. I would have loved to be able to call Grandpa Joe for advice, but since I cant do that anymore, I'm hoping this community can pick up the mantle. Thank you in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 08-28-2013, 11:07 AM

View Dave Paine's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome to the forum. Nice introduction.

Sorry to read about Grandpa Joe passing, he sounds like he would have been a good fit for the forum.

Lots of information on the forum if you search. Many build threads to explain how the person made something.

Most of us share your passion for wood.

If you want to see the best pictures of the most wood species, check out forum member Phind's excellent site.

http://www.hobbithouseinc.com/person...dpics/#letterE

We love to see pictures of projects, whether in progress or completed. Don't be shy about posting pictures.
post #3 of 11 Old 08-28-2013, 11:16 AM
Half a bubble off.. {ΘŅΘ}

View J Thomas's Photo Album My Photos
Hello Paula and welcome to the forum. I, like yourself, missed out on the knowledge of my passing elders. What a darned shame.. My Dad & grand dad were wonderful craftsmen and, as a kid, I didn't appreciate their talent.
There's an excellent community of very knowledgeable and sharing woodworkers here. So jump on in & get your feet wet.
Feel free to dig around and ask questions in the sub-forums of interest. You will find some great advice.
Take care, be safe & a big wave from eastern Maine
..Jon..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 08-28-2013, 11:48 AM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
post #5 of 11 Old 08-28-2013, 07:12 PM

View bigcouger's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via MSN to bigcouger Send a message via Skype™ to bigcouger
Welcome Aboard
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2011-09-30 Eagle Finished.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	78094  

All Pictures Posted by Bigcouger are owned by Roy Millsaps an is not to be copied or used with advertisements without the written consent of said person. Pictures are here to help guide you in your woodworking abilities an to encourage you in your wood working hobbies, not to be copied
Thank you
post #6 of 11 Old 08-28-2013, 10:26 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
A great intro, your sincerity shines through...

Grandpas are the greatest! At 70 some years, with an 18 year old son, I'm my own son's grandpa. We've spent the last 12 years, fixin', buildin', ridin' and drivin' and a whole lot of father and son things together. He has no interest in woodworking, but we share a love of fast cars, trucks and bikes. You sound like your experience was just as rewarding around the love of working with wood and such, it just didn't last as long as you would have wished.

Any stories or experiences are always enjoyable to see here. Pictures of past projects and current builds are worth "a thousand words" as they say...

Browse through the members albums in My Photos under each user's name and you will certainly see some beautiful work. Welcome to the forum!

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #7 of 11 Old 08-28-2013, 11:39 PM

View Anguspapa's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome aboard. Everyone on here is helpful and polite. I look forward to seeing pictures of your projects.

Eric Williams
post #8 of 11 Old 08-29-2013, 12:02 AM

View jharris2's Photo Album My Photos
Great intro Paula and welcome!

The only stupid questions are those that go unasked.

A picture is worth a thousand words.

Our individual woodworking interests cover the spectrum so I'm confident you'll find the answers to your questions here.

Need info, encouragement, advice, constructive criticism?

You'll find it all here!

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my grandfather did ó in his
sleep. Not yelling and screaming like the passengers in his car.

Jack Handey
post #9 of 11 Old 08-29-2013, 12:06 AM
Making sawdust in MS

View rayking49's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome Paula.
post #10 of 11 Old 09-03-2013, 02:59 PM Thread Starter

I dont have any real from scratch projects- half from materials cost and half because I dont have the experience to plan properly on a "from scratch" project Im sure I'm gonna mess up
I've done a lot with salvage and necessity- restoring a 1913 shingle home where half the place was dystroyed by a flood- salvaging the old mullioned glass cabinets, and refinishing them to match the stain on the other brand new cabinets- (Im so smooth the crown molding and light rail are new and even with the trim touching you cant tell the difference in color between the factory stained maple trim and the hand finished oak cabinet doors- its SWEET- Truly a labor of love. Also I had a lot of difficulty with the bathrooms where ancient metal cabinets with a hundred years of paint had to be removed and replaced, but I didn't want to remove the beautiful old tiles so I had to construct new vanities on the cheap with a beveled glass mirror I found at a yard sale and building the box and framing to fit the hole and the mirror door in order to make the whole thing fit even when the contractor says we have to demo the wall because they dont want to be bothered. Matching new crown moldings to the rest of the existing trim, etc

My other favorite projects have a lot to do with re-finishing yard sale finds- and I learned to do some pretty neat upholstery work too- a set of harp back mahogany chairs, an old wardrobe, turning a low coffee table into an ottoman to match my livingroom- Im pretty handy with a sewing machine too- all fun stuff, mostly elbow grease and a little finesse with stain and angle calculations and router fun (I DIG power tools). Really the only thing handy for me to photograph is a dusty set of oak built ins in my study... YOu may notice the far side is missing the bottom trim, I ran out of gas on my nail gun.. like 2 years ago, lol. I'll eventually get to it. When I redid my home, I had all the walls and trim done down to the smallest return but it took me 2 years before I finally realized I hadn't replaced the switch plates and I should do it today.
Attached Images

post #11 of 11 Old 09-03-2013, 03:01 PM Thread Starter

They look like they are leaning forward, but that's just the angle from my phone camera.... I assure you they are square

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode