I'm a non-woodworker looking for some advice - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 7 Old 02-15-2013, 03:18 AM Thread Starter

View sanourra's Photo Album My Photos
Question I'm a non-woodworker looking for some advice

Hi all,

I'm a knitter, a spinner, and I'm pretty handy with tools. I do not, however, own any woodworking tools larger than a hand-held circular saw.

My problem is this: an acquaintance gave me an unfinished spinning wheel. The part that's missing is the foot pedal. I've been told it's a "Castle" type wheel. Here's a picture of it: http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/membe...de-view-wheel/

My father in law looked at it and thought maybe I could reinforce a dowel with a metal shaft to be the axle for the pedal, as it were. I don't know how practical that may be.

If any of you would like to look into the matter and throw in your two cents, here's a link to pictures of the unfinished wheel: http://www.flickr.com/photos/sanourr...7632772554976/

and here are links to a few finished wheels that have a similar design:
http://*******/VVbh5O
http://*******/12nJMnu
http://*******/XRDAym
I found these by searching Google for "Castle Wheel Image."

Your thoughts, suggestions, or recommendations are welcome. :)

Last edited by sanourra; 02-15-2013 at 03:26 AM. Reason: Correcting photo link error
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 02-15-2013, 11:47 AM

View Brian T.'s Photo Album My Photos
What an elegant machine. From your links, there appear to be several different treadle designs.
First, you've got to try to look at the real thing to see how the treadle is constructed.
Second, build a treadle out of junk just to get it going. Something you can hack at and fine-tune.
Then you get some quality wood for the real thing.

In a past life, I bought and washed fleece, carded and spun. This style of wheel with the big fly wheel defeated me. Could never get it flyig like others did.
post #3 of 7 Old 02-15-2013, 12:16 PM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 02-15-2013, 10:22 PM Thread Starter

Thanks

Thanks for your advice, Robson Valley, and your warm welcome, Cabinetman.
post #5 of 7 Old 02-17-2013, 02:33 AM Thread Starter

I found a free pdf plan for a castle type wheel online, probably the same that was used to build it. I think I'll get it working with a dowel, some axle pins, and a recycled piece of wood. Thanks for your help!
post #6 of 7 Old 02-19-2013, 01:02 AM
Making sawdust in MS

View rayking49's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome!
post #7 of 7 Old 02-19-2013, 01:36 AM

View cowtown_eric's Photo Album My Photos
I think that all is there for the most part, all you need is a flat piece of wood for yer foot and a piece of heavy guage wire to hook up to the piece that is hanging down from the crank.

There may be some holes in the legs intended to hold a dowel between the legs, but I dunno if that is necessary. The wheel was likely complete, but the foot board got lost in action. I see the holes now in the pix, and they look like they are intended to hold a metal rod rather than a dowel, You could put it to working order with just a piece of wood if you didn't want the fuss, but you might want to put a piece of felt at the heel of the board to avoid damaging yer floor...

Yer also missing the drive belts, but these can be fabicated out of leather lacing , If you dampen them slightly, they can stretch and you can get the dimnsion, cut bevels and stitch them together with waxed heavy duty thread (preferrably linen) and when they dry they will shrink and fit tightly. Get em too wet, they will shrink too much. and possibly be too tight.

An exquisite gift

Tags
assistance, axle, pedal, project, spinning wheel

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode