I'm new here - great site you have! - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 8 Old 02-22-2008, 03:16 PM Thread Starter
Curmudgeon in Training

View Geoguy's Photo Album My Photos
I'm new here - great site you have!

Thanks, for letting me hang around - this is a great forum. I'm not exactly new to woodworking but have never been on a wood forum before. I framed houses for a few years while in college (years ago) but have been making sawdust for only about seven years. I'm not an overly good woodworker but I've got a nice shop and several great tools. I'm looking forward to this forum - hoping to solicit some advise from time to time. Is it OK if I start now, even though, this is the introduction section?

I'm finishing up a white oak night stand and was planning to finish it with medium walnut Danish oil followed by a few coats of polyurathane (sorry, don't have any photos of the piece, just finished the assembly last night). However, I read somewhere recently that a good finish can be achieved using a minimum of three coats of Danish oil followed by wax. Any thoughts or suggestions by some of you guys with more experience using Danish oil?

Hey, thanks in advance for any input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 02-22-2008, 03:52 PM

View Marko's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome Geoguy,
I think you will get a much better response if you post this in the woodfinish thread.There's a wealth of info over there too that might answer your question....Good Luck! Can't wait to see your project,post some pic's. Mark
post #3 of 8 Old 02-23-2008, 12:09 PM

View luckytiff02's Photo Album My Photos
Hi im new here also your right, it is a great site...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 02-23-2008, 12:53 PM Thread Starter
Curmudgeon in Training

Yeah, great site. I've already received some finishing advice. I just finished applying the Danish oil (see below). So far, I'm pleased - I think it's one of my best pieces yet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Nightstand 1.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	2381  

post #5 of 8 Old 02-23-2008, 11:50 PM

I like how you placed the grain.Nicely done,you've captivated the quarter sawn grain in the draw front. Nice work,is this for a particular spot in your home? Mark
post #6 of 8 Old 02-24-2008, 12:01 AM Thread Starter
Curmudgeon in Training

Thanks, Marko. I'm building matching bedroom furniture for my 16-year old son (maybe 10 or 20 years from now he will think it's cool that his old man built bedroom furniture for him). I'm starting the dresser tomorrow. And a head board/foot board after that if the dresser doesn't kick my tail! :)
post #7 of 8 Old 02-24-2008, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoguy View Post
Thanks, Marko. I'm building matching bedroom furniture for my 16-year old son (maybe 10 or 20 years from now he will think it's cool that his old man built bedroom furniture for him). I'm starting the dresser tomorrow. And a head board/foot board after that if the dresser doesn't kick my tail! :)
Geo,I think he thinks it's cool now! But he's 16 and his ego won't permit him to openly admit it....I bet you every single person/friend in his life knows about it.......you are Dad,and better yet,you are Dad who builds neat stuff for him!He knows your spending alot of time on him and some dough too!
I have a 19yr.old and a 3 yr.old.(one in College and one soon to be in Kindergarten)one turned my beard grey and the other is making my hair fallout.the roughest of both worlds.Doesn't mke me a child psych but sure gives some experience.
post #8 of 8 Old 02-24-2008, 02:43 PM Thread Starter
Curmudgeon in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marko View Post
Geo,I think he thinks it's cool now! But he's 16 and his ego won't permit him to openly admit it....I bet you every single person/friend in his life knows about it.......you are Dad,and better yet,you are Dad who builds neat stuff for him!He knows your spending alot of time on him and some dough too!
I have a 19yr.old and a 3 yr.old.(one in College and one soon to be in Kindergarten)one turned my beard grey and the other is making my hair fallout.the roughest of both worlds.Doesn't mke me a child psych but sure gives some experience.
Wow! must be tough having two families. I'll agree, you have the experience. I also have a daughter - just turned 21. I'm rapidly becoming an old coot (that's what the wife says )

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode