If I could make a living doing what I love... - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 16 Old 05-07-2008, 10:53 AM Thread Starter

View moneymgmt's Photo Album My Photos
If I could make a living doing what I love...

I'd be woodworking I think! I got started woodworking in high school where our school had an incredible shop. I was the first person to ever take "independent study: woodworking" as an elective, what a dork! I miss those tools, we had everything back then.... the 6" jointer, 18" planer, 18" drum sander, radial arm saw with an 8' table, multiple lathes, and so many others! I don't even know if they have that anymore, kids just don't appreciate learning it. They'd rather be glued to their television or comuter!

I'm just outside Detroit, Michigan so hello to all! I've been in the DIY chatroom for quite sometime as we're going through some major renovations, but now that its nearing completion and its warm out I can get back in the garage to some better projects.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 05-07-2008, 04:10 PM
No Longer Here

View user4178's Photo Album My Photos
If I could make a living doing what I love...

Been there, done that, didn't work for me. It took all the fun away, bruised my pride, and I'm no rookie at woodworking. Welcome to the forum though.
post #3 of 16 Old 05-07-2008, 08:37 PM

View stuart's Photo Album My Photos
so there's a live chat in DIY forum?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 05-07-2008, 09:55 PM

View crafter1956's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome

Welcome.
post #5 of 16 Old 05-08-2008, 09:42 PM

View LarrySch's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via Yahoo to LarrySch
Welcome - I agree about making a living at woodworking. If I had to do woodworking - then its not a hobby any more and I would loose interest. I love building what I want to build - and I do make things for other people. Payment is only for the material and no labor. That makes it fun.

Larry

" have you hugged your pet today"
post #6 of 16 Old 05-09-2008, 12:23 AM

View leejb's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome to the forum. I agree with the rest of the guys, when you have to make a living with your woodworking all the fun gos out of it.
post #7 of 16 Old 05-09-2008, 10:44 AM

View Daren's Photo Album My Photos
If I couldn't do what I loved for a living

If I couldn't do what I loved for a living I'd be miserable. In fact I was, so I quit (superintendent for a union plumbing shop) . I don't make a living woodworking, I know that was the original post, but it is part of my income. And this is a broader topic than just woodworking I think.

Quitting a secure good paying job was the most liberating thing I ever did in my life. Crazy ? Maybe. After being self employed since 1999 I could never have a "real job" again.

Sure it may take some lifestyle adjustments. Especially if you are one of the "Keep up with the Jone's" types. I live well within my means. Sure I have a couple things on my side (through planning on my part) No kids and the wife has a good job...but 10 years ago we both had "good jobs" and made more money than we really knew what to do with.Making 6 figures + and living in a house we had paid off before we were 30, no bills-just money coming in. That may not be alot to some but to a guy who "dressed up" in a flannel shirt that had been ironed instead of a wrinkly one it was plenty.

BUT, I was unhappy. New cars (3 for the 2 of us, and I did not even need a car I had a company truck) Big house with 4 bathrooms...blah blah blah. None of that stuff made me happy, it was just "stuff". Life is not about "stuff", everyday you waste doing something to make money to buy stuff that does not make you truly happy is a day in your short life you will never get back.

My grandpa said something to me many years ago that has stuck with me "One thing you will never see in a funeral procession is a Brinks truck, you ain't taking it with you" and "Do with your life what makes you happy" It's all about priorities. If making as much money as you can is ones top goal in life, then you cannot complain about your quality of life, crawl back into your cubicle and stay there. I can't sympathize, everyone choses their own road and every single step they take down it.

Sorry, mini rant there and a peak into my philosophy of life, carry on.
post #8 of 16 Old 05-09-2008, 12:52 PM
Journeyman Wood Butcher

View smitty1967's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daren View Post
Making 6 figures + and living in a house we had paid off before we were 30, no bills-just money coming in.
This is a great reflection of the character you have, Daren....To be that successful, some lesser men would have lost themselves in gambling, drinking, drugs, women....whatever vice it is that a man can buy, often its only the lack of money that keeps him out of it. To have alot of money, and not get lost in one of the dozens of vices and temptations that assaults us each and every day is to have character. Much, good character, with an obvious dose of integrity. Well done.

smitty
post #9 of 16 Old 06-03-2008, 06:12 PM

View ravven88's Photo Album My Photos
Daren,
I was told to seek you out with questions about an oak table. It was by chance that I read your post. I love your philosophy on life. I'm right there with ya. Please check out my post in general discussion about the oak tree slab. I just posted it today. Thanks much. :)
post #10 of 16 Old 06-03-2008, 06:14 PM

View ravven88's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome moneymgt! I am in the 'burbs of Detroit too. Go Red Wings! Lol.
post #11 of 16 Old 06-04-2010, 08:24 AM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
WELCOME TO THE FORUM

There's a saying that goes like this: "Be careful what you ask for...".

What you think you love may turn out to be a PITA. Woodworking could be a hobby that turns out to be a moneymaker. In a case like that your dream comes true.

One scenario may be that you have certain items you like to make and then sell them. Actually I started out that way. But in my case it wasn't a hobby. My story is more complete here. I started making lamps because I was unemployed and thought there might be a way of selling them, like at flea markets.

One thing led to another, and the initial product became varied due to clients wanting something different, like shapes, and sizes. Going one step beyond that, there was only so much could be made for the time involved. So, when the opportunity to diversify into cabinetwork reared its head, I took the plunge because there were bills to be paid.

Now after 40 years and looking back on the experience I admit it's been one heckuva ride. Not always enjoyable, and not always profitable. The difference being if I was just making a few items and those were what was being sold, it may have been a different course.

But, every job is different, and the learning process never stops. It's a matter of being able to figure out how to make something, or starving. That challenge is what keeps it interesting.

post #12 of 16 Old 06-04-2010, 12:53 PM

View Itchy Brother's Photo Album My Photos
Cabinetman,Its funny how one event can change a persons whole life.My dad was in the signal corps of the Army in WWII.When I was 13 he taught me morse code and we made a game of it.At 19 I volunteered for the draft,{1966} and thought ok,Vietnam here I come.The tests they give ya when ya go in revealed I knew morse code and to Germany I went. .-,-...,-.-.,Itchy
post #13 of 16 Old 06-04-2010, 09:40 PM

View Tony B's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabinetman View Post
WELCOME TO THE FORUM

There's a saying that goes like this: "Be careful what you ask for...".

I always wanted to be a male stripper and at age 63 1/2, I am one. It;s not a pretty sight.

Tony B Retired woodworker, among other things.

"Strive for excellence and settle for completion" Tony B
post #14 of 16 Old 06-05-2010, 02:27 PM

View Itchy Brother's Photo Album My Photos
We want pictures Tony hehehehe!
post #15 of 16 Old 06-05-2010, 04:00 PM

View ronlomme's Photo Album My Photos
Itchy...I read your message about Morse Code...how funny...I too went into the Army in 1965...because of my testing results I to was sent to Germany in a Pershing Missile Battery...Ron
post #16 of 16 Old 06-05-2010, 10:30 PM

View toycrafter's Photo Album My Photos
I am in the process of making woodworking my living. I am not sure yet if it will work but I am going to try.
However, even though I love woodworking it is not just that. The bigger challenge for me is to create a working company that feeds my family and that includes a lot more than just design and/or production. I am getting a lot of experience doing product development for my current job and it helps to turn a nice project into a product. I am aware though that once the design phase is done and the production starts it can get a little less exciting but that's part of it. I can keep myself motivated though by reminding myself that my products will feed my wife and kid and also make a kid happy (I'm making toys btw).
I guess I simply like the challenge and including woodworking in it is a nice bonus.

I can also see the other side though. If woodworking is your hobby and you are forced or force yourself to make it a job, that can kill the fun.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode