I should have introduced myself - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 8 Old 08-16-2011, 01:42 PM Thread Starter

View Marti's Photo Album My Photos
I should have introduced myself

When I first posted on this forum, I thought it would be a one-time thing, but I've found I keep coming back to read everyday even if I don't post.

I have been a high school English teacher (don't worry, I'm not the grammar police), an oil & gas landman (just a term guys), and a title researcher. Hubby & I built one house from the ground up and we've remodeled others. I've laid tile, shingled roofs, done drywall, and insulated. I'd like to learn to lay brick next.

I married into the woodworking world, and it was love at first sight. My father-in-law started as framer, then trim carpenter, then cabinets, and was building houses by the time I married Hubby. Even as GC, he did most of the work that involved wood. Hubby was his helper (often unwilling helper) from the time he could pick up nails, and while he knows how to build just about anything, his heart isn't always in it. On the other hand, I love the smell, the sounds, and the creation in a woodshop. On trips to their house, I'd rather be out in the shop building something with father-in-law than in the kitchen cooking with mother-in-law.

Hubby and I built our first project almost 30 years ago, a set of entertainment cabinets, with a rinky little tablesaw, a router, and a belt sander. We've still got the cabinets today and I still love them. When I say "we" built them, it was mostly Hubby doing the cutting and me doing the sanding and finishing. We've done a lot of other projects over the years with Hubby taking the lead and me being the helper. What I've learned is that Hubby (and don't get me wrong, he is the best man I've ever met) would rather do it himself than take the time to show me, and he is stuck in his way of doing things. When I want to do something out of the norm, he says it can't be done. Why? Because it's always been done the other way. So we butt heads a lot. Sometimes he is right, but sometimes I am, and he isn't as quick to say something won't work any more. It doesn't help that he can stand a little imperfection and I can't, and he is messy and I border on OCD. And yet, we still like to build things together.

All that to say I learn a lot from just reading the posts at this forum and it fuels my desire to learn more and do more.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-16-2011, 01:48 PM
Scotty D

View mdntrdr's Photo Album My Photos

Scott
OH, wait a minute ............Yep!.............That's what he said!

"Like" us on facebook
www.ScottyDsWoodworks.com
Watch Our YouTube Video
post #3 of 8 Old 08-16-2011, 10:30 PM

View Itchy Brother's Photo Album My Photos
I admire your enthusiasm.I think if I ever needed to survive in the wilds Id want you along.You sound like you have a lot of expierience<spelling,Anyways welcome to our forum and we are glad to have ya.<spelling again.

***For the record*** Ive made hundreds of guitar bodies,never put one together and cant play a note.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 08-17-2011, 02:57 AM

View cody.sheridan-2008's Photo Album My Photos
welcome
post #5 of 8 Old 08-17-2011, 08:30 AM
Really underground garage

View BWSmith's Photo Album My Photos
Bricklaying is an extremely high skill factor craft.And it suffers no fools.....meaning once a brick/block is laid and set-up,there ain't any "fixing it later".Soooo,it has to be done right the first time.

If you struck chalk lines whilst installing shingles you now have a bit of insight on their importance in the horiz or level plane.Basically,you lay up corners with not much more than a level and rule......then "connect A dot" so to speak by runnin lineblocks on the two corners,pulling a taught mason's line(these are specific to the trade,string materials)and start laying.

The best practice is to do mock-ups or practice walls....then knock'm down and do it again,and again,and again.Perfect mortar and an understanding of how the moisture affects the laying process and subsequent finish is paramount.

Start looking at existing brickwork.....and if you have a brick rule,and permission......try to get a feeling for how the mason's "hit their marks" WRT,bttm of windows and then the tops by measuring course width changes."Splits"(cutting bricks lengthwise)are extremely frowned upon.So changing course widths is pretty much the only option.Obviously this has to be figured ahead of time(doin your corners),and has to be done over a section rather than waiting for the last few courses and trying to MAKE it work.

Theres way more to it than this......but hey,its a start.Good luck,BW

Those who say it cannot be done shouldn't interrupt the people doing it.
post #6 of 8 Old 08-17-2011, 08:33 AM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos

Your fervor for the crafts is understandable. When I started out, I had no idea what the heck I was doing, but soon realized I better figure it out to earn a living. There are many ways to skin a cat (just a saying...no offense intended to cat lovers...I have three).

There is always something to learn... a different wood to work with, or a new piece of furniture. And, there's all the cool tools to use. After all the years, it's still fun.

post #7 of 8 Old 08-18-2011, 07:15 AM

View Bryanatkinson's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
When I first posted on this forum, I thought it would be a one-time thing, but I've found I keep coming back to read everyday even if I don't post.
Me too. At first I just wanted to discuss in a topic, but somehow I became visiting the forum everyday.

Your experience in woodworking is very interesting. From your story, it is not just "an activity" but "a part of your life". No wonder that you're very skilled, since you had done many projects before I was born ^^;

My website :
Corner Shelf Shop
post #8 of 8 Old 08-18-2011, 01:28 PM Thread Starter

View Marti's Photo Album My Photos
Hey now! I'm only a senior citizen by age.

I wouldn't say I'm skilled. I'm more an intermediate beginner.

Last edited by Marti; 10-24-2011 at 12:47 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode