I recon an intro is in order... - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 19 Old 08-26-2010, 08:17 AM Thread Starter

View Fishbucket's Photo Album My Photos
I recon an intro is in order...

I dont usually do these introductions... But, for some strange reason you all are gonna get one. Usually I just jump right in.

Found the sight after being at a boat forum, after being at a fishing forum where I saw a wood boat. after being at a couple few motorsycle forums..

Anyway, I been around wood along time. Started in high school with a construction trades class and have never left. Oh, I've taken other jobs while const. work was scarce. like working in an Auto body shop banging metal, painting hotrods, streching/welding cars back together and such things. I've run a septic truck, driven a zamboni, was a service mechanic for farms and ranches, facilities manager for a creamery, In bettween building and learning all trades in commercial/residential construction. now I work for a very large Property manager, managing a very large Technology Companys, 9 Field Sales Offices in the Nor Cal region....

A Hands on Facilities manager if you will. driving 45-50,000 miles a year. putting my const/handyman knowlege to work. at leats that what they call it.

My wife and I live in Petaluma, Ca. renting an apartment that I built in a breezeway bettween the master bedroom and garage. After I remodeled the Main house kitchen for the landlords.

Living this close to them sometimes sucks. You get ambushed in the driveway to come look at something they need done, or a question they need advice on. the slaming of their back door that rattles the pictures on our walls. and the water temp change when taking a shower.

My stepdaughter lives in N.C. with her husband ( married a year now) and my son is with us every other weekend and some summer vacations and holidays.

I get use of "the shop",... well at least a small corner of it to work on things and projects. But I try and keep out of the way. They have a 34' motorhome and tractors parked in there too.

I've reworked my tool boxes since...

And when they are on the road, I make full use of the shop.

We had a TruckCamper and boat. Sold them to buy a house this year out in the valley.

Our plan is to be here another 10 years. And then move out east to be closer to the Keri.
We've been looking for months and have made a few offers... nothing biting yet.

Speaking of biting... I have a passion for fishing... the wife calls it an obsession..
It's just great way to shutdown for awhile.
I'll fish for anything, Sturgeon, Stripers, LG Bass, trout.. you name it.

Although they dont like it as much as me. They will come out sometimes.

Hoping with the move to a new house I'll have enough room of a full fledged shop. Atleast half a garage to tinker around in. Maybe enough room to build that boat I'm thinking about...

Not our dog...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 08-26-2010, 08:43 AM
SS user

View Gene Howe's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome! Nice introduction. Feel like I know you, now.
post #3 of 19 Old 08-26-2010, 11:26 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Gene..

I had alot more pics posted... but it only allows 15 per trip.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 08-26-2010, 11:43 AM
Scotty D

View mdntrdr's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome Fish!

Nice Intro.

Scott
OH, wait a minute ............Yep!.............That's what he said!

"Like" us on facebook
www.ScottyDsWoodworks.com
Watch Our YouTube Video
post #5 of 19 Old 08-26-2010, 04:40 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Nice Intro!!

That's probably one of the best intros I can recall. Very nice photos, high quality and great lookin' family portrait. I thought for a second that was a fish your wife was holdin' but it's only a dog. You have a lot of good skills, so post up some projects we can be envious of! bill

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #6 of 19 Old 08-26-2010, 05:06 PM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
WELCOME TO THE FORUM

Still seems a bit incomplete. There's gotta be something you forgot.

post #7 of 19 Old 08-26-2010, 05:39 PM
Forgotten but not gone

View TexasTimbers's Photo Album My Photos
Probably the best Intro I have ever seen.

Petaluma sure is pretty. I was a drummer in the USCG band in '81 & we did a retirement gig in Petaluma. The after-retirement party ended up moving 30 minutes or so west to a cliff overlooking the Pacific. Man that was one pretty place, at least it was 29 years ago. It must be hard (will be in hindsight, in the future) to leave that for the east coast!

post #8 of 19 Old 08-26-2010, 07:35 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the good words fellas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabinetman View Post
Still seems a bit incomplete. There's gotta be something you forgot.
I had 33 pics with words, when I first went to post it.....

But then I had to drop out half my life to make it fit the 15 pic maximum....

You didnt want to hear about my diaper and teen years anyway..

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTimbers View Post
It must be hard (will be in hindsight, in the future) to leave that for the east coast! .
I'm hoping the awesome fishig will make up for that...

Last edited by Fishbucket; 08-26-2010 at 07:37 PM.
post #9 of 19 Old 08-26-2010, 08:24 PM
Forgotten but not gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishbucket View Post
I'm hoping the awesome fishig will make up for that...
Good luck. The recent BS in my old stomping grounds (GOM) have pretty much made that a crap shoot. We won't know just how bad for years. But since you're not planning to move for ~10 years, you'll probably have an idea by then of where to go and lure 3-headed fish that don't glow in the dark.

post #10 of 19 Old 08-27-2010, 02:10 PM

View tooljack's Photo Album My Photos
Hello Fishbucket: I've just spent about 30 mmins reading your posts. Really great posting. For a period of time I lived in the wonderful town of Petaluma (1970-1973). I bought a 4brm 3b house
(new) for $29,250, located in the 2800 blk of Vista Lane on the East side of the highway. I was stationed at Hamilton AFB, now no longer. Was transfered to Charleston AFB, SC. I sold the house for $53K, 2 years later it sold for $87K, in 1978 I was there and it was back on the market in the high $180K's. It was just a $29K house as for as I was concerned. At those prices I could not return to CA. even if I wanted to. I just have to be content on my Windsong Gardens Goat Ranch here in Palestine, TX. Keep up the great postings I will follow them. With Regards. tooljack, Jackie!
post #11 of 19 Old 08-27-2010, 10:18 PM

View Itchy Brother's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome to our forum.Is that your daughter with the dog?----hehe.Best intro yet.Seems like Ive known ya for 10 years already!Since were old friends can ya loan me a twenty?You will fit in here real well,these guys and gals are great.Itchy

***For the record*** Ive made hundreds of guitar bodies,never put one together and cant play a note.
post #12 of 19 Old 08-27-2010, 10:31 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooljack View Post
Hello Fishbucket: I've just spent about 30 mmins reading your posts. Really great posting. For a period of time I lived in the wonderful town of Petaluma (1970-1973).
Hello and Thanks !

Send me the address and I'll post a pic with the price they say it is worth now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itchy Brother View Post
!Since were old friends can ya loan me a twenty?
Thanks too !.... and you hav'nt paid me back the $50 from last time yet.

And you're wondering why I dont loan you any tools?....

post #13 of 19 Old 08-28-2010, 10:54 AM
Forgotten but not gone

Fish must be a CIA agent infiltratin our outfit. He fits in too dang well to be just one of us. If anyone see him writin down license plate numbers out in the parkin lot . . . . be sure and let me know.

I'll be watching you "Fishbucket" (Prolly not even your real name).

post #14 of 19 Old 08-28-2010, 08:38 PM Thread Starter

post #15 of 19 Old 08-29-2010, 03:45 PM

[QUOTE=Fishbucket;148549]Hello and Thanks !

Send me the address and I'll post a pic with the price they say it is worth now.

On my last and first post I gave the wrong #on Vista Lane. it is 2028 not in the 2800 blk No such # unless they extended the street across the little airport at the end of the street. During my 32 year tour in the USAF I lived in so may places that I don't remember all the Addresses. If I had to find all that info since my last security clearance update. I would have to did thru a square yrd. of old records. Even my wife could not remember many of our old addresses. I guess that the prices have taken some hits in this Obama economy. I still don't want to return to CA or NV. I was in those states when they were almost still wilderness 1943-1973.
My family migrated to CA (1943) from TX. In So. CA you could see for over 100 miles, all the way from L.A. to the San Berdo. mnts.
We moved to Las Vegas in Feb. 1949 There were only 5000 people there then, now I think there are about 3 million. TX still has alot of wide open spaces and I have my share of it, and my taxes are less than I paid on the 6000 SF lot and house on Vista. Looks like the fishing is good there, enjoy and keep up the great posts. Regards
Tooljack
post #16 of 19 Old 08-30-2010, 10:39 AM Thread Starter

yup,

Things sure have changed around here. I'll try and get a pic of the place. looking up on the web. the price for that house now with a good market is $363,000.. about $330,000 more then when you bought it.. crazy.. huh?
post #17 of 19 Old 08-30-2010, 11:28 AM

OH WELL!!! That's about what my 60A, 9000SqF of steel
buildings, 2400 Sf house, 3 miles of fence, 30A of wooded, pastures etc. or worth here in TX. As I said I can't return just like Charlie in the Kingston Trio song about the MTA train, he was stuck on the train forever because he didn't have the extra dime for the fare so they wouldn't let him off until he paid the dime. . Thanks fishbucket. Enjoy your next 10 yrs there, and when you come east, things are still somewhat sane here, although the Dallas, and Houston big boys have driven the prices up about 5X since I bought in 1988. tooljack
post #18 of 19 Old 08-31-2010, 04:26 PM

View Butch Marley's Photo Album My Photos
Fishbucket,

Welcome to the forum. It's always nice to have a fellow California turner among the ranks. The people here are terrific. They have come to my aid several times. Looking forward to seeing your projects.

On the side. The biggest fish I ever caught was a Sturgeon just out from the moth-ball fleet. The thing was two inches too short and I had to let him go. I haven't been fishing since.

Good luck and be safe.

Butch
post #19 of 19 Old 08-31-2010, 05:38 PM Thread Starter

Hey Butch ... thanks for the welcome.

We worked the Petaluma river real good last season for a 51", 52" and a 70"... that 70" got tangled with a 78" some other guys were fighting at the same time and place on the river.
talk about a fire drill..
Oh, and if you havent tried it... Sturg does taste like chicken.. honest.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode