I have no clue what I'm doing :) - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 11 Old 12-31-2010, 11:50 PM Thread Starter

View mkmb129's Photo Album My Photos
I have no clue what I'm doing :)

Hi all :) I've recently stumbled upon the Ana White website and now am throwing myself into woodworking. I've spent the last several hours googling and reading up on tools and such. I'm so excited to take this on! I've got uncles who've been doing this sort of thing since before I was born and plan to enlist one or two to show me a few things. I'm planning to start with something small and simple (at least I hope it'll be simple!), the doll crib on the Ana White website. I'm going to see what books our library here has on the subject and read as much as I can so that when I start I'm semi-knowledgable. The whole cutting of the wood is what concerns me more then the building part. I did a little woodworking back in 7th & 8th grade, built a few small items, but that was many moons ago (or so it seems!) and I don't remember much.

I'm a SAHM who enjoys sewing, knitting and baking. And apparently I need another hobby Woodworking, here I come! I make a great majority of what we use (and gift) as far as sewing things goes, and make most of our food from scratch. I really enjoy being self-sufficient and this seems like the next step! I'm excited to get started!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 01-01-2011, 02:23 AM

View JohnK007's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome, glad you decided to join us. We all started from scratch at one time or another so don't let that bother you. Asking questions, learning from your uncles, and getting some hands on experience is the best way to learn. We're here to help you any way we can. This is a knowledgeable and helpful group so don't feel shy.
post #3 of 11 Old 01-01-2011, 02:30 AM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
You just made it

As one of the last members to join in 2010! Welcome to you. We have lots of experience here and many opinions as well, so we can help speed up the learning curve for you. Please post a list of your tools and what types of projects you might want to start with, like the doll crib, including what kind of woods, finishes, joints etc. Sketches and photos are the best way to get advice here that will be useful.
As a SAHM you won't have anyone to clean up after you, unless it's you....dust and chips and all. And don't forget to read the instruction manual and wear your safety glasses when working with power tools. bill

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 01-01-2011 at 08:48 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 01-01-2011, 05:53 AM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
WELCOME TO THE FORUM

You probably already heard that you can get all the help you need...except for cleaning up. Another truth is you don't need to get a long sleeve plaid flannel shirt. Just make a post about a tentative project, and you'll have all of us right there with you...so to speak.

post #5 of 11 Old 01-01-2011, 08:35 AM Thread Starter

View mkmb129's Photo Album My Photos
It's going to take a while for me to learn my way around your forum here and where to post what questions. For now, I'm going to post this here. These are the plans I'm using for the doll crib (my little ones have a crappy plastic set now that can't wait to get rid of in place of a nice wood one, I'll be doing the highchair Ana White has plans for as well): http://ana-white.com/?p=3632&upm_export=pdf

I'm not sure what I need just yet. We have no power tools except for a drill (and a cheap one at that), we've got all of the other little tools as my husband is quite handy, he's just never had a need for any other power tools (but he's now getting kind of excited to start building, too). This is going to have to be a get things as I need them and making due with what I have sort of thing for now. I don't want to spend a lot then find it's not something I want to stick with (which I don't foresee that, but you never know!). I do understand that you get what you pay for as far as cheaper things go, but I have to go the cheaper route right now (which is why I'm starting off small). My next project will be this helping tower http://ana-white.com/2010/12/helping-tower.html.

So if any of you experienced woodworkers have any advice or suggestions as far as getting started when you have nothing, what power tools I absolutely need to build these two items I'd appreciate it!
post #6 of 11 Old 01-01-2011, 10:26 AM

View Roger Newby's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome to the forum!! We're a real helpful bunch here and a fresh face is always welcomed. It's good that you are eager to learn and to share. The plan for the little helper tower is something I will probably use for my Grand daughter. She's only one year old but growing fast and right there to "help". Your choice of tools can really cover a broad spectrum. A scroll or saber saw is probably one of the first I would look at. From looking at Ana White projects, there are plenty of curves to cut. And it does a reasonable job of cutting straight, just not very fast, so a circular saw would also be handy to have. Add a power sander and you're off to a good start. That will get you to the top edge of the slope.......then hang on. Best of luck and enjoy your stay on the forum.
post #7 of 11 Old 01-01-2011, 02:56 PM

View Tony B's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome aboard. Its always nice to have another female here.
Oh, and BTW, what is a SAHM? I have been trying to figure it out. I think the HM is handy man? Am I close?

Tony B Retired woodworker, among other things.

"Strive for excellence and settle for completion" Tony B
post #8 of 11 Old 01-01-2011, 02:57 PM

View TysonWD's Photo Album My Photos
I'm assuming SAHM = Stay At Home Mom. I could be wrong though .

Tyson
post #9 of 11 Old 01-01-2011, 03:19 PM
SS user

View Gene Howe's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome to the forum.
Are you close to a Jr. college? Many offer classes at beginning levels through cabinets and furniture making. Most are offered in the evenings to accommodate busy schedules.
post #10 of 11 Old 01-02-2011, 09:51 AM

View Allen Tomaszek's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome to the forum. I'm sure you'll be able to pick up the skills you need to have fun with your new hobby. There are a lot of knowledgeable people here willing to help. Happy new year.
post #11 of 11 Old 01-04-2011, 01:44 PM

View Texas Sawduster's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome from Texas !!!

Welcome to the forum.
Looks like another victim of the sawdust bug.

I would take a look at benchtop style tools at least for now.
You can get a few decent ones at the box stores.
If the benchtop or jobsite/portable table saw is not to your likeing then try Craigslist or another online site. Lot's of great deals to be had on tools.
In regards to a table saw, keep in mind the weakest link will generally be the fence. So the jobsite/portable style table saws may not work for the accuracy you are looking for. Then again they just may work.
A benchtop drill press makes a great small parts drum sander as well as a verticle lathe. Unless you lay it on its side and support it properly, it can be used as an inexpensive small benchtop lathe.

Take a look at Woodsmith and Shopnotes magazines. They have lots of info on tips and tricks that we all use. I subscribe to them because they do not have advertisements taking up space.
(note: I do not get anything from them in return for this comment).

Have fun.

Tools are like guns, You can never have enough.
Where did I put that tape measure???

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode