I am new here and need help - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 6 Old 02-29-2008, 02:11 PM Thread Starter

View sandyjo's Photo Album My Photos
Talking I am new here and need help

I just joined the forum today and need help to move on. I am experienced in many power tools and woodworking, maqinly from my shop days in school (long ago) and my love for wood and the endless possiblities for creating. My next venture is to master the router. I have a old Black and Decker Router 7604 with no manual. I am stopped at the beginning with how to change the bit. I have looked online for a manual to no avail. Can anyone help me get started with bit changing or a site where I might find a maual. I appreciate any help and look for to the experience that I will gain from this forum of experienced craftsman. Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 02-29-2008, 08:37 PM

View OldWoodworker's Photo Album My Photos
Go to the following site and search. You will have to requiste a manual from them since they no longer service this product.

http://www.dewaltservicenet.com/Prod...18547&tid=1446
post #3 of 6 Old 02-29-2008, 09:37 PM

View Davet's Photo Album My Photos
I also could not find a manual on the internet.

OldWood workers link looks to be the way to go.
I have had great service from dewaltservicenet.

First thing you should do if you haven't already is invest in book
on router basics and how to use a router. These books are available at your local book store I.E. Borders, Walden. Barnes & Noble. Lowes, Sears or Home Depot also have these books.

First thing is make sure your router is unplugged.
A router bit is held in place in a collet, you will need to loosen the collet nut with wrench that fits the collet nut.

Some collets require two wrenches to loosen the collet, one holds the router shaft in a fixed position and one to loosen the collet nut, some routers have a shaft locking mechanism, which then will only one wrench.

Here is a video of the two wrench removal, It will give you a basic Idea of how a router bit collet looks like and how it works.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...arch&plindex=1

Last edited by Davet; 02-29-2008 at 09:47 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 03-01-2008, 03:48 AM

View BlockHead's Photo Album My Photos
If it requires only one wrench, there should be a button somewhere on the tool which you hold in while slowly turning the collet till it locks. You'll feel the button slip into a dibbot and that's when you know it's locked. Sometimes it's hard to keep the button in while turning the collet, takes some getting used to.

NOTE: Always unplug the tool before changing the bit. You'd be surprised how easy it is to accidentally hit that power switch, even if it has a safety mechanism. But an older model like that probably doesn't even have safety. Unplug the tool is the best safety mechanism!
post #5 of 6 Old 03-01-2008, 04:33 AM

View Davet's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlockHead View Post
If it requires only one wrench, there should be a button somewhere on the tool which you hold in while slowly turning the collet till it locks. You'll feel the button slip into a dibbot and that's when you know it's locked. Sometimes it's hard to keep the button in while turning the collet, takes some getting used to.
That's what I like on my Freud FT1700VCEK, when the motor is cranked
all the way down to put a wrench on the collet, it automatically locks the shaft and then unlocks automatically when I crank it up to set the depth. No second wrench, no fumbling for a lock
mechanism button. Super nice when mounted in a router table!

Last edited by Davet; 03-01-2008 at 05:06 AM.
post #6 of 6 Old 03-01-2008, 11:09 PM

View woodman42's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome to the site sandyjo!
Can you post a pic of your router and we can probably help you out.

Did you say tool sale?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode