Howdy from Texas! - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 9 Old 01-28-2008, 01:02 PM Thread Starter
Thumb Nailer

View dbhost's Photo Album My Photos
Howdy from Texas!

Hey guys and gals. Just getting back into woodworking after a 20+ year hiatus caused by lack of access to the tools... Finally gearing my home workshop up and I am trying to ramp back up on the skills and techniques for woodworking. Over the last 10 or so years I have built some of the basics with hand tools, a dog house for my Laborador, a couple of bird feeders, lots of trim work on an old Miter box etc... The wife finally agreed that me owning the tools to do the job and buying the materials is MUCH less expensive, and ends up with much higher quality results that buying, or contracting repairs and now items for the house...

I want to work my way up to designing and building furniture in the Mexican Rustic Style to finish off our Texas home.

My garage / shop is mostly geared up, but not set up quite yet. I am looking for ideas on how to utilize the space I have most efficiently.

I hope to learn as much as possible to get me going in the right direction, and in turn to share what I know, and what I have learned with others as I go along. I look forward to many years of woodworking for fun, and maybe as I retire from my day job for profit as a retirement business.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 01-28-2008, 02:20 PM

View Nathan's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome from Austin!

Nathan

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot
post #3 of 9 Old 01-28-2008, 02:45 PM
Forgotten but not gone

View TexasTimbers's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome from north Texas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 01-28-2008, 05:00 PM

View woodman42's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome from College Station!
Do you have any pics of your set up we could look at. Most folks around here have shops and could probably suggest some ideas.
You might also look at the shop photo threads.

Did you say tool sale?
post #5 of 9 Old 01-28-2008, 05:28 PM Thread Starter
Thumb Nailer

The shop photos are on the agenda for tonight. I've been rather busy setting up... My setup isn't the expensive high end stuff, but every piece of it came with high recommendations from friends, or high reviews from online reviews... At least the stuff I didn't have previous experience with...
post #6 of 9 Old 01-28-2008, 05:35 PM

High end stuff doesn't make the woodworker anyway. As long as it gets you the results you want is what matters.
Looking foward to your pics.

Did you say tool sale?
post #7 of 9 Old 01-28-2008, 10:03 PM Thread Starter
Thumb Nailer

Click my gallery link. I took some tonight. I still totally need to set up, but I am getting there. I hope...

I hear a lot of guys slamming the Skil and B&D stuff that I use, but I am okay with that. I like my stuff. It will do what I want it to. And when it no longer does what I need it to, it should still be working well enough to sell off and buy better stuff later as I grow into it...
post #8 of 9 Old 01-29-2008, 07:47 AM

Looks like your getting there. I have a Black & Decker miter saw like yours, it has been a good saw. I have bought a bigger one but keep the little one for cutting Marlite trim. Still a good saw.
Don't worry about the people who talk trash about your tools, they seem to forget that at one point they started with lesser tools than what they use now.

Did you say tool sale?
post #9 of 9 Old 01-29-2008, 09:45 AM Thread Starter
Thumb Nailer

Oh, I know it is a progressive kind of thing. If you look into my mechanics set, I have everything ranging the gamut from the cheapo Taiwan stuff, to Snap On. I know the value of good tools. I also know that with a lot of tools, the name on the label isn't always a good indicator of quality of funtion. My Snap On Metric Deep well sockets for example, do not grip fasteners nearly as well as the set of Craftsmans I bought to replace them.

You are right about that B&D saw. I looked at a 12 incher that Ryobi makes (I like Ryobi stuff mostly) and was not impressed with it for the price. I do not see a need right now for me to be miter cutting any large stock. Having said that, I know how these things go. In about 5 or so years, I am going to be wishing I had bought a bigger saw...

Generally speaking, for the budget I had to work with, I am very pleased with my shop. It does not cut into my household budget beyond what paying a cheap contractor to do just the fence repair would charge, and if I get good enough, maybe I can figure out how to build custom interior trim pieces for my truck and my wife's car. Not all of the gear is new, the Table Saw, Miter Saw, Miter saw stand, shop vac (replaced a burnt up one) the B&D router, and the Skil Router bits are all new, and all on sale, or bought with a 10% off coupon. The rest of the stuff I have had for years, and it is holding up well. I got the second router because I was getting sick and tired of taking my Ryobi on and off the router table every single time I had to run a profile on a piece that was stationary.

My small project this week, is going to be finished tonight, and I wish I had taken some before photos. I got a Skil 30 piece carbide router bit set with a damaged case from the local Lowes at a huge discount. The acrylic display panel, and the wood strips that hold it in were busted out. I took it apart, fitted some new strips by hand with a back saw and some small clamps, and got the replacement acrylic from Ace Hardware. I have not test fit the acrylic, it is a couple MM too tall, but there was plenty of slop built into this joint, it SHOULD be okay, but I may have to sand the high edge down a little.

I know this might sound odd, but I think I am going to remove the stickers that Skil uses as place identifiers, remove the felt, strip it, stain and seal the entire thing in a darker stain, Possibly add a couple of keyhole hangers to the back (but I don't think the material is thick enough) and hang it on my shop wall.

Oh, and yes, that is a Snap On Tools 75th anniversary wall clock. I wish I had kept the calendar and coffee cup as well!

Thanks for your comments and all. I will keep the Pics of your shop thread updated as I get the setup closer to finalized. I still have some equipment I want, but I have not found out which ones I want. They must be best bang for the buck.

Those items are...

#1. Benchtop lathe with extension bed. Build my own mini bench for the lathe.
#2. Band Saw. Something with a decent opening size.
#4. Benchtop planer. Minimum 12", but the bigger the better.
#5. Spindle Sander. I have never seen one in the stores, but remember these from High School wood shop. Man I loved how easy those were to work.
#6. And this one I am picking up soon. Belt Sander. The orbital is fine, but not aggressive enough for some of the stuff I am doing.
#7. Shop lights. I only have two, and it is too dark in there. I want to run electrical boxes to just above the lights, ceiling mount the fixtures, and hard wire them in. I want at least 4 more. 2 directly over the bench, and 2 each side going down the garage bays.
#8. This is something I will have to build, but a storage cabinet for my portable tools.
#9. Another item I want to build. Router cabinet. I would like to take the table top, wiring, etc... from the Wolfcraft, and build up a nice cabinet. I like the layout of Norm Abrams Deluxe Router Cabinet, but I want something with a more, uh, rustic look. I will probably take his design and modify it to include Mexican Rustic motifs such as the recessed panel doors, hammered iron hardware, etc...
#10. A silly thing to not have in a garage workshop is a peg board. And I am missing one. That has to change. I am going to move my storage bins, and the small parts cabinet to mount that.

Last edited by dbhost; 01-29-2008 at 10:07 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode