Howdy from Houston..TX that is - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 15 Old 12-31-2009, 03:13 PM Thread Starter

View Rowdymon's Photo Album My Photos
Howdy from Houston..TX that is

I'm just a computer nerd gone bad. I started doing very basic woodworking back in the Boy Scouts, making pic-a-nic tables and benches, then as my family purchased a warehouse to store goods for our real estate business making things like shelves and very basic repairs, and as things have gone I have done very sturdy, brutal, yet not pretty wood working using primarily hand held power tools.

A couple of years ago I got interested in wood working as a bit more than heavy tables and shelves to handle heavy loads and start looking at pretty....pretty counts for something right? My fiancee thinks that, thus I must think that way too.

*laugh*

Well I bought some equipment and started doing some wood working with a friend who was more like a brother to me, built a shop with a small bandsaw, decent lathe, grinder/sharpener, drill press and router...and well he kinda took over the shop. Fiscally it was more and better equipment than he had worked with before, so as I moved out of that house and in with my fiancee I made him an offer to purchase the whole lot of it. At that point I had realized this equipment was nice to have, but really not what I would end up with in the long run. I could spend money making it as accurate as possible, or I could look at spending that money on more expensive equipment that would, in the end, be better for my intentions.

That was two years ago, and my fiancee (still my fiancee...*laugh*), has finally approved picking up some specific items to start my wood working track up again. I believe her motivation is having me do cabinets and built ins on the house we have planned...and realizes my skill sets are not even close to doing it to either of our satisfactions.

So to start she picked me up a router and chop saw and explained I need to start working on it again...*laugh*.

She's right, work is slowing down enough that I can start looking at having a hobby again.

To start I will be looking to start putting money in a seperate account to find the equipment I want, starting with a table saw. I figure on purchasing one used for about $1000. I should have that money set aside by March.

Until then I have reading to do and a few new power tools to break in learning some new skills.

I hope to share many of those, and I apologize for this being so long.

Jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 12-31-2009, 04:45 PM

View Tony B's Photo Album My Photos
Day-um

I didnt know Texans could talk that much.
Welcome back to woodworking.

From Kemah here..........What part of houston are you in?

Many Houstonians here.

If I can be of help just holler.

Tony B Retired woodworker, among other things.

"Strive for excellence and settle for completion" Tony B
post #3 of 15 Old 12-31-2009, 04:49 PM

View woodman42's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome from College Station Jeff.
I was just down in your neck of the woods twice this week.

Did you say tool sale?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 12-31-2009, 04:57 PM Thread Starter

Well I must say I am glad to hear there are alot of Houstonians here...

Right now I live in Cypress and work in Deer Park...long drive.

I'm in the process of either renting out our current house, OR starting to prep it for sale. We'll move closer down your way, probably Pasa-get-down-dena when we figure out which route we are going. It should save me 3 hours of driving a day...and I want those hours for doing other fun things...

As foor Malfunction Junction (my family's name for College Station)..*grin*...Hook em Horns and all that...I actually used to own a lakehouse down that way, on Camp Creek Lake. I sold that place about 5 years ago...but still head towards Chapell Hill on occasion to visit some friends out that way.

Again, thanks to everyone for the welcome...I don't always talk quite this much...but I think the redline energy drink I had a couple of hours ago has inspired me to be a bit more chatty...*laugh*
post #5 of 15 Old 12-31-2009, 05:01 PM

View woodman42's Photo Album My Photos
Yep, no right where it is, my wife used to be the postmaster in New Baden.
You should have kept your property for a get away.

Did you say tool sale?
post #6 of 15 Old 12-31-2009, 05:28 PM Thread Starter

I do remember New Baden fondly...I used to swing by the New Baden General Store every weekend we were up there, just to support the business...

I sold it because I hit a downturn in my personal finances, and had to move one piece of property or another. I still have two lots on a feeder to Lake Limestone, but I'm not likely going to do much with them because half the year the lot is dry with no lake access.

No, I'm working on a 5-6 year plan to pick up 20+ acres and build the house I want...rather than settling for someone elses idea of what a house should be.

And that will be more than enough for me...and if it goes according to play...the acreage will be paid for in cash...probably somewhere around Dayton or Liberty...
post #7 of 15 Old 12-31-2009, 07:12 PM

View djwood1's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome from Indiana!
post #8 of 15 Old 12-31-2009, 07:30 PM
red
Papa Red

View red's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome to the forum.

Red

Red
post #9 of 15 Old 12-31-2009, 08:32 PM
Nobody

View BHOFM's Photo Album My Photos
Just what we need! Another Texan!

Well, you are here, it's too late now!

Welcome to the mad house.

Please take note, I didn't use any bad words, but it
was hard!

post #10 of 15 Old 01-01-2010, 06:57 AM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome to the forum. It is getting to the point that the Houston area people can form their own forum.

I did not know that anyone ever moved TO Pasadena. I used to have to fly from Clear Lake to the big airport north of town. I never had to look out the window to know when we were over Pasadena. The smell and the bumpy ride were all of the clues needed.

George
post #11 of 15 Old 01-01-2010, 01:32 PM Thread Starter

Well this is certainly a warm welcome to the forums...and I must admit I do like the idea of a large local group.

I've got some reading to do...thank y'all kindly....
post #12 of 15 Old 01-01-2010, 03:56 PM
Thumb Nailer

View dbhost's Photo Album My Photos
Jeff,

Welcome to the forum! Yeah there are a lot of folks from the H town area here... I'm just north of Tony in League City...

Glad to see you are getting back into the swing of woodworking. It's a great break from watching progress indicators and taking user calls for sure!

Interested in my woodworking, workshop and whatnot? See http://daves-workshop.blogspot.com, want to see my other interests such as hunting, fishing, off roading, and camping? See http://wildersport-outdoors.blogspot.com
post #13 of 15 Old 01-01-2010, 06:22 PM

View wfahey's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome from San Antonio Jeff.

Bill
San Antonio, TX
post #14 of 15 Old 01-04-2010, 12:40 PM

View Texas Sawduster's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome from Texas

Welcome from Cleveland, Texas.

Yep, need any help after the move to Stink-a-dena let us know.

Tools are like guns, You can never have enough.
Where did I put that tape measure???
post #15 of 15 Old 01-04-2010, 02:44 PM

View wfahey's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Sawduster View Post
Welcome from Cleveland, Texas.

Yep, need any help after the move to Stink-a-dena let us know.
My wife grew up in Cleveland. MIL lives in Cut & Shoot.

Bill
San Antonio, TX

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode