Howdy from Alaska - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 15 Old 01-04-2008, 08:09 PM Thread Starter

View Woodenpecker's Photo Album My Photos
Howdy from Alaska

Before you ask....yes we live in Igloos but they are now made of wood because of global warming
I run the Eielson AFB Wood Hobby shop. Basically I get paid to play with wood and teach people how to do it safely.
I've been working with wood ever since I can remember. Spent 21 years as a Navy Seabee Builder. So I guess its in my blood as I just can't get away from it I also make Custom Knives that I sell all over the US, but my main bread and butter are the tourists who flock here in droves during the summer. So if you feel touristy come on up for a visit....than go home Just kidding....lots a room here.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Knife Class 1.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	37.3 KB
ID:	1972  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 01-04-2008, 09:07 PM

View Daren's Photo Album My Photos
Hey WP, I am getting back into knife making myself, good looking knives. How do you keep the forge from melting the igloo .

"I run the Eielson AFB Wood Hobby shop" I would like to know more about that. I have never been in the armed services (thank you for your service to our country, by the way) Is this a vocational thing, or recreation ?
post #3 of 15 Old 01-04-2008, 09:37 PM Thread Starter

The Wood Hobby Shop is a paid job for me. Easiest money I ever made, well except that time as a pole dancer Anyhow, most military bases have a wood, auto and sometimes ceramic shops. Places where the troops can go and work on their own projects. Nominal fees are charged for usage of the equipment (our fee is $2.00 Hr.)and you clean up after yourself. I'm like the pro at the golf shop...I help them with their projects and teach them to use any equipment they are not familiar with. I want them all to leave with 8 fingers and two thumbs still opposed. We have a well equipped shop here. Not to much we can't get done. I even bought tendon cutters and alot of the guys have been making log beds.
Also as part of my job I do work for the base. I make everything from plaques to log furniture for rental cabins we have. Also teach basic and advanced wood skill classes. Trying to keep the art alive so I can have somebody to pass the torch to one day. I just don't know about this younger generation
And your welcome for my service. It was 21 years well spent. I enjoyed almost every moment. There were times I wished the sand I was playing in was on Malibu Beach
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 01-04-2008, 11:28 PM

View Kirk Allen's Photo Album My Photos
Woodenpecker, I suspect your getting cold about now. I spent 12 years at Elmendorf and a few frozen winter nights up your way fixing C5's that broke. I figured it was definatly colder in Fairbanks when I saw the electrical plugins in the parking lot at the Fred Myers. We dont have that in Anchorage.

My wife and I come up about every year and are looking for some land down on the Kenia Peninsula. While I was up there we built a cabin 25 miles up the Chistachina river trail, just north east of Glen Allen. Some great Moose hunting memories in those parts!

If we get up to Fairbanks this summer we will look you up! Take my advice and never move to the lower 48. It will haunt you until you get back.
post #5 of 15 Old 01-05-2008, 07:22 AM

View woodman42's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome to the site Woodenpecker!
Nice knives.

Did you say tool sale?
post #6 of 15 Old 01-05-2008, 11:18 AM

View Gerry KIERNAN's Photo Album My Photos
Hi Woodenpecker
Welcome to the forum. I live in British Columbia, and we are having a hard time keeping our igloos from melting too.

Those ar real nice looking knives.

Gerry
post #7 of 15 Old 01-05-2008, 03:42 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry KIERNAN View Post
Hi Woodenpecker
Welcome to the forum. I live in British Columbia, and we are having a hard time keeping our igloos from melting too.

Those ar real nice looking knives.

Gerry
Where you from in BC. I have some good friends in Dease Lake.
post #8 of 15 Old 01-05-2008, 03:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk Allen View Post
Woodenpecker, I suspect your getting cold about now. I spent 12 years at Elmendorf and a few frozen winter nights up your way fixing C5's that broke. I figured it was definatly colder in Fairbanks when I saw the electrical plugins in the parking lot at the Fred Myers. We dont have that in Anchorage.

My wife and I come up about every year and are looking for some land down on the Kenia Peninsula. While I was up there we built a cabin 25 miles up the Chistachina river trail, just north east of Glen Allen. Some great Moose hunting memories in those parts!

If we get up to Fairbanks this summer we will look you up! Take my advice and never move to the lower 48. It will haunt you until you get back.
If you do...I live in Salcha, right behind the Knotty Gift Shop. Ask there and they will give you direction.
post #9 of 15 Old 01-05-2008, 03:53 PM
Forgotten but not gone

View TexasTimbers's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome woodpecker. You can have Alaska and Grizzly Man too.

We have some friends in Alaska. The wife grew up there she thought she loved it, but when they moved back in 2004 she now hates it. They are selling their 100 acres, 2 houses (one really nice and a guest house) and can't wait to get back down here. she says the bugs alone are maddening.

The knives look nice!
post #10 of 15 Old 01-05-2008, 07:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTimbers View Post
Welcome woodpecker. You can have Alaska and Grizzly Man too.

We have some friends in Alaska. The wife grew up there she thought she loved it, but when they moved back in 2004 she now hates it. They are selling their 100 acres, 2 houses (one really nice and a guest house) and can't wait to get back down here. she says the bugs alone are maddening.

The knives look nice!
Well.....we may have some bugs here, but I've been to Texas. Ya'll got Snakes AND Bugs But I'm not really in love with the state here. When our boys are out of school, (7 years 5 months and 20 days) we are out of state! I'm getting to old to contend with -40
post #11 of 15 Old 01-05-2008, 07:27 PM

View Gerry KIERNAN's Photo Album My Photos
Hi Woodenpecker

I live in Powell River, on the sunshine coast of BC. It is about 100 miles North of Vancouver. It is quite a ways from Dease Lake. I think Dease Lake gets into the -40 category in the winter too.

Gerry
post #12 of 15 Old 01-06-2008, 11:07 AM
Forgotten but not gone

View TexasTimbers's Photo Album My Photos
Yeah pecker I am with you. I don't seriously knock someone's desire to live where they enjoy. Just cause it ain't for me don't make it a bad place. The scenery is among the most beautiful on earth. I just can't take that cold and them bugs. Man we don't have bugs down here compared to that place.
We do have snakes though but they don't bother ya for the most part. What state are y'all wantin to go back to?
post #13 of 15 Old 01-06-2008, 11:30 AM
johnep

View johnep's Photo Album My Photos
Very interesting to hear about the best places to live. I have experienced that 'the grass is always greener' and very often my wife and I have loved a place to be on holiday, but agree that where we now live east Anglia Uk is as good as any.
Home is where the heart is,
johnep
post #14 of 15 Old 01-06-2008, 12:18 PM

View mart's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome from a fellow Alaskan. I have a little side business building sheds and furniture on my weeks off. I work a week on/week off schedule so have some time to play or build or both. This a great site with some awesome craftsmen (and women) who share their knowledge freely. Welcome again.

Mart
post #15 of 15 Old 01-10-2008, 11:38 AM

View kissdude's Photo Album My Photos
hay my family use to live in alcan and my sister was stationed by the army some where up there

ps every thing is up to me

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode