howdy - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 1 Old 04-13-2008, 11:13 AM Thread Starter

View allenn's Photo Album My Photos
howdy

Hi there,

My name is allen. I live in an old house just outside Loveland, Colorado (the city limits run right down the middle of the street out front).
I carve spoons, spatulas, and scoops. I give them away as gifts, and will sell a few from time to time. Most of my stock I get by dumpster diving. It's amazing what people throw out.
I am a member of owwm.org, mainly because I inherited a Rogers contractor table saw from a great uncle, who inherited it from a different great uncle, and now it's mine. I was looking at the time for a motor mount for the thing. It had fallen out of the back or a pickup, and the only damage was that one of the threaded holes in the cast iron had broken. I ended up using epoxy to glue the broken pieces back together, and put Vaseline on the bolt threads to keep it usable and line up all the pieces. My fix has lasted 10+ years, but it is ugly.

I want to turn. To that end I have 3 lathes, none of them new.
The first is a Delta steel lathe, assembled and welded, that was another great uncle's, which I inherited from Daddy. It came with a few high-carbon chisels, and a 1/3 hp 110 v motor to drive it. I can pick it up and carry it over my shoulder when it isn't tied down.
The second is a Yates-American J 170, from the pre-Brodhead Garrett days, with truncated ellipses for the headstock and tailstock support pedestals. When I bought it at auction, I had to disassemble it to put it in my station wsagon to get it home. It has a 3/4 hp 3 phase motor, and came with the outboard faceplate/handwheel, some 3" diameter 1 1/8 x 8 small faceplates, which the YA literature calls rosette chucks, the banjo and tool rest, and tailstock. Some pieces parts of some attachments are missing, others have been aquired.
The third is a Rockwell/Delta 46-201, 4-speed, 1/2 hp 3 phase, also purchased at auction, and is a much simpler machine on which to work than is the J 170. I have disassembled the headstock and ordered bearings. When I have the headstock back together, I am going to replace the bearings in the motor, hook it up to a variable frequency drive, and turn a lot of my hoarded wood into shavings and chips.

Does anybody here know how to find parts for a no. 10 Disston or a no. or 10B Disston-Porter coping saw? I cannot even find out if Porter is still in business.
Thanks,
allen norris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode