Howdy - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 5 Old 11-15-2007, 04:08 AM Thread Starter

View kwhit190211's Photo Album My Photos
Howdy

I'm new to this here site. Just joined up, so I am saying my howdy's to all the wood workers here.
I guess I have to say a bit about myself. Ok. I am a retired Pipefitter, I retired officiality 2 yrs ago. My body finally gave out. Being a pipefitter for 38 yrs is a body killer.
I started working with wood when I was 5, I helped my Dad with the home improvements of our house. So, I learned at a young age to appreciate working with wood.
I have also been collecting tools from about that time in my life as well. I'm to the point now, when I go to a place that sells tools I no longer drool over them, because I have almost all of them. I need a lathe but I also need the space where I can use it. I ran out of room in my shop long ago.
I have a small shop attached to my house, its 11' by 25'. But, in it I have a miter saw set up in line with a thickness planer. I have a 20' bed for these 2 items. I also have a jointer, 10" contractor's table saw, 14" bandsaw & a shaper. Plus, God knows how many power tools.
I am always working on a project of some type.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 11-15-2007, 06:14 AM

View Daren's Photo Album My Photos
Howdy back. I was a pipefitter, until 2001 I worked out of L.U. 65, still got my book. My Dad just retired after 42 years as a steamfitter/welder out of the same hall, his Dad was a steamfitter too.
I was a fitter/welder/licensed plumber, now I am a wood guy (whatever that means)
What is it with retired fitters and woodworking ? That is what Dad and all his buddies do. 1/2 the time my sawmill shed is like the old jobsites I used to work on...a bunch of fitters standing around drinking coffee and telling lies.
post #3 of 5 Old 11-24-2007, 08:27 AM

View woodman42's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome.

Did you say tool sale?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 02-01-2008, 06:22 AM Thread Starter

View kwhit190211's Photo Album My Photos
Latest work.

Howdy all;

Lately the weather here has been stopping me from doing anything. it's either been snowing or cold, raining outside. Even though I have a heated shop, its just hard to get my motor running lately.
My right shoulder has been been bothering me a lot lately! I had it fixed a few years ago, but it always felt like I just woke up from underneath the knife!
Anyways, I have myself to blame for making it hurt again. You see I went out shopping. I've been doing this to myself lately. You see, I go out at nights anymore, to see what people are throwing out in their trash. I drive around & see what I can find. I've been picking up lots of furniture lately. For one thing I hate to see a good looking piece of furniture sitting on the curb waiting for the garbage truck to come by & to CRUNCH it!
Besides, I have 2 crazy daughters just starting out in life on their own. They are in need of a lot. And, people are throwing out very good wooden furniture. To buy what? New furniture that's either comes in a box for them to put together? Or furniture they think is real nice, but is made out of WOOD PRODUCTS? Anymore that's what they call sawdust, glue & wood grained vinyl, nowdays.
I've even have some of this 'found' furniture in my own house. Some of it was better that what I had & I have good furniture.
Recently I picked up a very nice all oak woman's dresser, that is heavy as hell. I am in the process of refinishing it. I have had to get new hardware for it. That was the only thing wrong with it. At the same time I got that, I also got a new desk for my Granddaughter. This is in my other shop waiting to be refinished. It's made out of oak as well. It is a beautiful piece of furniture, solid oak & with all the hardware intact! It has lots of carving on it as well. I saved something beautiful from being crunched!
And, what did my shoulder in was I found on the curb last week a complete bedroom enssmble. A bed headboard, 2 nightstands with 2 drawers each, a 9 drawer woman's dresses with 2 real nice and carved mirrors for it and a 5 drawer men's dresser. All made out of solid, white oak. All in one load in my pickup truck. The thing is, that there are people out there who don't have the faintest idea of what they have, how much that it would cost to buy something exactly like that today & are going to let the garbage truck crunch it?
Geez! Know what I mean?
It's to hard to pass up & besides you can't beat the price. IT"S FREE!!!
post #5 of 5 Old 02-01-2008, 09:57 AM
Thumb Nailer

View dbhost's Photo Album My Photos
Well howdy back from down here in Texas! If it's freezing cold down here, you poor guys up north must be absolutely shivering!

I'm not sure how big my garage is, but I know it isn't huge. I think you may have about the same floor space, ish... Not a lot to work with, especially if you are storing materials and all... The wife and I are busy working on this house to get it ready for sale. Hopefully the economy / housing market picks up again soon, so I can sell this place and get a place on some land where I can put up a shop...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode