Honestly, I haven't done much with woodworking - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 7 Old 05-08-2008, 10:17 AM Thread Starter

View Rahci's Photo Album My Photos
Question Honestly, I haven't done much with woodworking

Honestly, I haven't done much with woodworking. Part of the reason for this is I haven't got a lot of time to pursue much in the way of wood working unless there is something on the honey-do-list that needs to receive my attention! The other reason is my garage/shop is such a unorganized disaster area, that it makes finding the simplest of tools a chore in and of itself.

I would however like to pursue woodworking more, perhaps even make a little money at it after a while. If anyone has some suggestions as to how I can turn my disaster into an efficient, organized shop, one to be proud of, I would certainly welcome it.

Perhaps after a while I might even have a thing or two to contribute to this forum, after some experience. However, in the mean time, I will probably be asking more questions than giving much in the way of answers. I now, therefor, humbly leave myself in, I trust, some capable hands, to be shaped and formed in the ways of woodworking.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 05-08-2008, 12:49 PM

View mdlbldrmatt135's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via MSN to mdlbldrmatt135 Send a message via Yahoo to mdlbldrmatt135 Send a message via Skype™ to mdlbldrmatt135
Sit down... and figure out (on paper) the best way to organize what you have..... and a Shop layout that works for you. If the tools have cases Open shelving works great (other than sawdust) for storage.
A dedicated area to store the lumber (if you like to keep stuff laying around)

Start with taking the time to organize (especially in smaller shops) it'll make things more enjoyable.
post #3 of 7 Old 05-08-2008, 02:09 PM
No Longer Here

View frankp's Photo Album My Photos
Rahci,

Contribution isn't always about what you know but about what you don't know. Asking questions helps others as much as it helps you. And we do have some varied discussions here, spin off threads and the like, that are only peripherally related to woodworking, so jump in. Hesitation only makes it hurt more.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 05-08-2008, 07:45 PM

View crafter1956's Photo Album My Photos
Hello

Welcome to the forum- always glad to help.
post #5 of 7 Old 05-08-2008, 09:35 PM

View LarrySch's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via Yahoo to LarrySch
I pretty well did what was suggested. First - I took my garage area - moved out the vehicle - then laid out all my tools. When I was able to build my shop - 24 x 24 same as my garage - I had all the tool put where I thought I wanted them. Of course a year later - a lot of the tool have been moved - to work in a better fashion. (Suggestion - if you have not used what is in your garage in the past two year - get rid of it.)

Larry

" have you hugged your pet today"

Last edited by LarrySch; 05-08-2008 at 09:39 PM.
post #6 of 7 Old 05-09-2008, 06:24 AM

View knotscott's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome to the forum!

As others have suggested, spend some time working a few layouts, then pick one to go with. Don't be discourage if the first try isn't exactly what you want....I've redone my a few times, and it's a still a work in progress . Tools and "stuff" need a designated place. Sometimes it's beneficial to put bigger tools on wheels...especially if space is tight. You might even take a day or two vacation to dedicate time to get organized.

My shop encompasses less than half of a two car garage and is pretty tight. The bulk of it sits within an 11'x 13' area so it's fairly tight. Here's a floor plan of my layout if you're interested...some things work well, others still need work.

Name:  myshop.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  38.1 KB

Last edited by knotscott; 05-09-2008 at 06:27 AM.
post #7 of 7 Old 05-09-2008, 08:57 AM Thread Starter

View Rahci's Photo Album My Photos
Talking your comments are appreciated

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarrySch View Post
(Suggestion - if you have not used what is in your garage in the past two year - get rid of it.)
That is something I am absolutely going to have to do.

Thank you all for you suggestions and encouragement, it is very much appreciated. Keep it coming. It is wonderful to see all the enthusiastic responses. Woodworking does seem to engender a passion like few other forms of craftsmanship.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode