Hi from Wild Coast South Africa - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 6 Old 07-10-2015, 05:29 AM Thread Starter

View dali's Photo Album My Photos
Hi from Wild Coast South Africa

Greetings
At last it seems as if I have found a site of wooodworkers interested in talking woodwork, rather than trying to make money.
My name is Barry and I have been a woodworking novice for many years. The closer I get to the golden years the more value I find in wood.
I am retired at my beach cottage in Transkei and at last I have the time to tackle my workbench project, which has been outstanding for a few years.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-10-2015, 07:42 AM

View mikeswoods's Photo Album My Photos
Great to have you here----what woods do you have available locally?

I've seen pictures of South Africa and some of the hand crafts---but You got me wondering what wood you have to work with---Welcome--Join right in!--Mike---
post #3 of 6 Old 07-11-2015, 05:05 AM Thread Starter

View dali's Photo Album My Photos
Hi Mike...thanks for the warm welcome.
Our most common and available wood is white Pine which is farmed and sustainable.
An exotic wood which has become commercially available is Bluegum also known as Saligna, originally from Australia, I believe. Difficult to work with as it is stringy and tough and your tools need to be sharp. I still have the old 'forehead mark' when a Saligna bowl popped off the lather while I was trying to finish with a skew chisel...ha I live on a stretch of coast called the Wild Coast, renown for it's big seas and undeveloped mainland.
This is the home of the Amaxhosa people who I have been privileged to have grown up with.
There are trees here which are unknown to the world. One is a tree known as Umsimbithi (Millittia grandis. This tree is found only in this area and is so dense and heavy it sinks in water.
We also get two types of teak, Strychnos decussata, umKhangele in Xhosa and Strychnos henningsil, umNonono in Xhosa.
Both these woods are very hard and beautiful and are used for walking/fighting sticks
I would welcome contact from any South African members on your site

Last edited by dali; 07-11-2015 at 05:08 AM. Reason: spelling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 07-11-2015, 08:48 AM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome. It is especially pleasing when we expand our international community.

George
post #5 of 6 Old 07-11-2015, 08:55 AM

View mikeswoods's Photo Album My Photos
Kind of funny, getting clobbered by a flying lathe project---That happened to me long ago---

I was setting up a new lathe ,with several friends watching---I hadn't wired in a switch yet--I chucked up a large chunk of wood---plugged in the machine --and it was shaking something fierce--

I was standing there ,afraid to get close enough to unplug it when --BAM--the wood cut loose and bonked me right on the forehead---

I was laughing so hard I could hardly breathe---My friends thought I was mortally wounded---
post #6 of 6 Old 07-19-2015, 09:22 AM

View blackpearl's Photo Album My Photos
Hi Dali,
Interesting selection of wood you have there. Wood that sinks in water! Is the Umsimbithi more stable structurally? I hope to see some of those in pictures as you post your work in due course. Welcome aboard!

John (from India)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode