Hi. Im Haunted (pronounced Bluto) from Spokane - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 9 Old 09-09-2011, 03:48 AM Thread Starter

View Haunted's Photo Album My Photos
Hi. Im Haunted (pronounced Bluto) from Spokane

Just joined this forum on my fancy new cellular telephone. I cannot figure out how to post a profile pic for myself on this forum. Also was wondering if there are any snowboard builders out there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 09-09-2011, 07:47 AM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
post #3 of 9 Old 09-09-2011, 08:28 AM
Really underground garage

View BWSmith's Photo Album My Photos
Haven't built any from scratch,but repaired a few.Been using an H frame Hyd press to VG effect.Always thought,if wanting to build them....lining up say 3 H frames would be pretty easy.And they don't need to be that spendy either......HF "cheapo's" would suffice.If getting out of the biz ever transpired you can sell'm for prolly .50 on the dollar.Good luck,be safe!BW

Those who say it cannot be done shouldn't interrupt the people doing it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 09-09-2011, 10:14 AM

View slicksqueegie's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haunted View Post
Just joined this forum on my fancy new cellular telephone. I cannot figure out how to post a profile pic for myself on this forum.
Welcome to the forum
Are you using the iphone app?
I dont think you can upload your profile pic with it, however you can upload pics on threads with it.
and using the safari browser does not allow me upload a profile pic either.

Anybody can become a woodworker, but only a Craftsmen can hide his mistakes!

Last edited by slicksqueegie; 09-09-2011 at 10:24 AM.
post #5 of 9 Old 09-09-2011, 11:13 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWSmith
Haven't built any from scratch,but repaired a few.Been using an H frame Hyd press to VG effect.Always thought,if wanting to build them....lining up say 3 H frames would be pretty easy.And they don't need to be that spendy either......HF "cheapo's" would suffice.If getting out of the biz ever transpired you can sell'm for prolly .50 on the dollar.Good luck,be safe!BW
Neato. I built a vacuum press that I can change out templates for different profile shapes. The top, I have a clamping surface as well as ( if I flip the clamping surface over) a router bridge assembly for shaping the core. I am new to it and enjoying very much. So far, 1st core on on the router bridge, then to press. Any ideas on making a jig for tapering tips with planer? Thanks.
Attached Images

post #6 of 9 Old 09-09-2011, 11:15 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicksqueegie

Welcome to the forum
Are you using the iphone app?
I dont think you can upload your profile pic with it, however you can upload pics on threads with it.
and using the safari browser does not allow me upload a profile pic either.
Oh I see. Well thanks I'll try it. Would like to post pics of my boards as they come along.
post #7 of 9 Old 09-09-2011, 11:16 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabinetman

Thanks for the welcome cabinetman.
post #8 of 9 Old 09-09-2011, 11:50 AM
Really underground garage

View BWSmith's Photo Album My Photos
Haunt,go to projects page and look for "Stone Cold Country"......you want to talk "tapers"..........building bows is nuthin but!!!!!That build which is an admitted complete ripoff,is sporting multiple tapers.Most bow manuf. settle in on certain "constant" tapers..001....002....003...thousandths,per inch taper.Think about that for a second.That bow runs from an .002 to .004.And it takes gobs of experience to get that transition in exactly the right place.

Now,what-if you could change that taper,mid-stream?This is where...I'd bet GOOD money the snowbd,"bigboys" are.Its that last bit of tuning that.....well,maybe Joe-Shmo couldn't tell the diff...but I'll gauren-DANG-tee you a pro could feel the difference.

Think about your question....you asked about tapering the core woods right?To wit,heck yeah...what do you want to know about it....when it comes to multiple tapers....its gonna get DEEP,WRT metrology and engineering....so,and don't take this wrong but....you'll need to get a full understanding of a std taper first.And it don't involve a planer.Its all about grinding(sanders).Imagine a widebelt or variant with your core wood sitting on a taper'd plane.Thats how most get a std taper.......the 64k$ question is how you custom cut multi tapers.But you really need to work on your std tapers first.BW

Those who say it cannot be done shouldn't interrupt the people doing it.
post #9 of 9 Old 09-10-2011, 01:14 AM Thread Starter

Yeah. That's awesome. Maybe I should stick with the router bridge method for a while. Will have to look at that site and others like it for a while to grasp the basic principles. Thanks again B.W.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode