HI Guys Question about a Table Saw - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 8 Old 08-02-2009, 12:09 AM Thread Starter

View kanoa9321's Photo Album My Photos
HI Guys Question about a Table Saw

HI, I am new to the forum and need your advice.

I am looking to buy a table saw a came across this one on craigslist.

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/tls/1285428025.html

Assuming it is in good condition, would you say that is a fair price or is it a little overpriced.

Also any thing in particular I should be aware of? Or better recommendations for a saw?

It is either a model # 113.298844 or 113.298762

another one I came across was this one:

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/tls/1275498552.html

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-02-2009, 03:38 AM
Thumb Nailer

View dbhost's Photo Album My Photos
Just FWIW, I'd probably go for the Delta if it were me... At least from the pic, it looks to be in better shape.

Then again those older belt drive Craftsman contractor saws are pretty nice...

Don't believe the HP rating unless it is a 220 volt saw. Chances are good that motor only puts out 1.5 HP or so... Which is okay, that is what you should expect in a 110V saw...

Interested in my woodworking, workshop and whatnot? See http://daves-workshop.blogspot.com, want to see my other interests such as hunting, fishing, off roading, and camping? See http://wildersport-outdoors.blogspot.com
post #3 of 8 Old 08-02-2009, 07:07 AM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
I like the Delta also

All things equal, price @ $250.00,3 HP motors, except the Craftsman has a roller base and the open style side extensions...I don't like 'em. I had that type and now have the solid surface which are much better for small pieces not falling thru to the floor and tools as well. bill

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 08-02-2009, 07:19 AM

View knotscott's Photo Album My Photos
A couple of things...the basic 113.###### contractor saw was made by Emerson for Sears, and is a solid design but has a lame fence. The same design went on to become the Ridgid contractor saw that's owned by Emerson, and was most recently made by TTI/Ryobi for them. The motor isn't a true 3hp, it's more likely a 14 amp 1-1/2 hp induction motor that can be confirmed by checking the motor plate....if it runs on a standard 110v outlet, it's not over 2hp. Nice mobile base, includes the blade guard and miter guage. It has a standard size top (27" deep x 20" wide for the table, 40" wide including the cast iron wings), so it'll accommodate aftermarket fences, and other 27" wings. $250 is on the high side considering you'll probably want a fence upgrade, but it's a good basic saw with potential. $200 tops (maybe offer $175), then look for a good deal on a better fence, and sell that one for ~ $35-$50 bucks to offset the cost. The Delta T2 fence can often be found in the $150 range. With any luck, you're total cost will be in the $300 range for a good saw.

The Delta looks to be the TS300 (descendant of the old 36-600 and predecessors), which is really a compact saw that's not quite full size, and has a universal motor, as opposed to a belt drive induction motor on the 113.######. It'd be ok for $100 as a temporary saw to get you started, but it's not one you can grow with and will likely want a different saw fairly soon.

Good luck!
post #5 of 8 Old 08-02-2009, 11:01 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys, I had read about the 3hp not being a true 3HP so I am aware of that.

Here are two more I found, both seem a little over priced, considering I found the first one with more accessories and cheaper but its 3 hrs away.

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/tls/1298643844.html

and

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/tls/1293833786.html
post #6 of 8 Old 08-02-2009, 12:41 PM

View knotscott's Photo Album My Photos
The more recent Craftsman shown has a better fence than the others you've shown so far, and probably won't need to be replaced, which is a plus. It has the same guts as the other Craftsman, but is likely made by TTI/Ryobi between 1997 and 2004....a model number starting with 315.###### would confirm (113. indicates Emerson). It does look fairly new, but $300 seems a tad steep considering the steel wings, has no warranty, and you have to drive. Cast iron wings are a "nice to have", but not a "must have", and could be added later on if you want...solid cast iron wings would make the price more attractive, and you could mention that if they seem stuck on their price. You could add a melamine side extension later on too. Maybe he/she would take $250 and meet you part way, if not, offer $225 and see what they say. .

The Rockwell is a proven workhorse, but you might end up wanting to upgrade that fence too. That design later became the basic Delta contractor saw. $295 seems a bit steep for that one too.....I guess folks in your area think highly of their used stuff! I don't think any of those prices are real show stoppers though...just a little high.
post #7 of 8 Old 08-03-2009, 12:30 AM Thread Starter

I had read that about the older 3hp ones.

Fence on the newer one looks good, except for the price, and the seller said he is firm on it(would explain why I see the same add being reposted every week.)

For the mean time I will keep looking.
post #8 of 8 Old 08-04-2009, 08:19 AM
red
Papa Red

View red's Photo Album My Photos
BTW,
Welcome to the forum.

Red

Red

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode