Hi from Colorado - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 10 Old 09-01-2008, 11:40 PM Thread Starter

View flash512's Photo Album My Photos
Hi from Colorado

Hey Everyone!

I'm a handyguy that just finished a bunch of projects on my house, now my hands are idle and I'm looking for a new hobby. I took a woodshop class, oh probably 20 years ago. I like building things, though, so I think I can get into this.

Any recommendations on resources for projects that don't require a lot of shop equipment? I have most of your power hand tools and a miter saw to work with. I'd just like to start easy before I invest in a shop's worth of tools.

Thanks,

Greg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 09-02-2008, 09:29 AM
Journeyman Wood Butcher

View smitty1967's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by flash512 View Post
Any recommendations on resources for projects that don't require a lot of shop equipment?
Hey Greg: welcome aboard! We're glad to have you. You'll find quite a lot of information sharing going on here, with none of the typical b.s. you find in some online communities. You'll be pleased with your decision to join us.

As far as information on projects goes, my suggestion would be to take a stroll through your local bookstore and grab up a few woodworking-based magazines. Wood and Shop notes are two very good places to start. You'll find some good projects, easy to follow notes and fantastic dimensional drawings in both.

You can then decide what skill level these projects may require, and whether or not you're ready to tackly something bigger. I started out much the same as you...High School shop classes many moons ago, and a desire to build something better than what I could buy. So here we are...

good luck, keep us posted, and by all means, don't be shy about posting.

regards
smitty
post #3 of 10 Old 09-03-2008, 09:41 AM
Curmudgeon in Training

View Geoguy's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome, Greg. I'm sure you're well aware that you don't need a shop full of tools to build some nice things. When I first started, several years ago, I had a tape measure, a square, a circular saw, a plastic miter box, and a sanding block. And I made some really nice things for my first little house. Now I've got a shop full of tools and it certainly makes things easier but it's not a requirement. Sorry, I don't have any resources for projects that don't require a lot of equipment, just don't be affraid to dive in. Even if it's a tough project, you can build something just as nice with hand tools - it just takes longer.

If you start a new thread and tell the forum you're starting a new project building an entertainment center and the only tool you have is a spoon, you'll probably still get some good suggestions and advice here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 09-03-2008, 02:29 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the encouragement! I've picked up a few books from our local library, and have found some good ideas for some easier projects to see if I'm bitten by the bug.

I've also found a couple of places that offer woodworking classes. I may try that as well.

I had a bit of a shocker yesterday when I went to the supply store for some cedar for a garden bench that I'm thinking about building. Wood ain't cheap!
post #5 of 10 Old 09-03-2008, 03:38 PM
Curmudgeon in Training

Quote:
Wood ain't cheap!
No kiddin'!!, it's darn expensive! Sometimes, I almost wish I was a pen turner just because you don't need much wood to make a pen (no offense to the pen turning, bowl making, lathe guys on this forum - I just don't do that because I'm not talented enough,,,,,, oh,,, and I don't own a lathe). I would much rather build a dresser or a table but buying wood for a big project can be a giant pain in the pocket book. Maybe Darren or Texas Timbers can hook you up with a local sawyer in your area - I know you got trees in Colorado.
post #6 of 10 Old 09-04-2008, 09:54 PM

View Ohio Ron's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Hey Everyone!

I'm a handyguy that just finished a bunch of projects on my house, now my hands are idle and I'm looking for a new hobby. I took a woodshop class, oh probably 20 years ago. I like building things, though, so I think I can get into this.

Any recommendations on resources for projects that don't require a lot of shop equipment? I have most of your power hand tools and a miter saw to work with. I'd just like to start easy before I invest in a shop's worth of tools.

Thanks,

Greg
Start simple. Ask your wife/family about some small projects they would like. Shelves, coat hooks, small tables, book shelves, etc. Then look at some of the plans that are available on the web. Do a search for wood plans..........you will get a ton of ideas and no expensive special tools required. Let your imagination run away.

Remember, as long as you are enjoying it.........you are doing it right.

good luck and let us know,
Ron
post #7 of 10 Old 09-05-2008, 07:28 PM
Curmudgeon in Training

Well said, Ron. Good advice.
post #8 of 10 Old 09-09-2008, 07:04 PM

View diamond willow's Photo Album My Photos
Hi im also new to this great site. I have been working with wood called diamond willow for about a year. its really a awesome and unique wood that you can make tons of stuff with it. you just have to let your mind run wild when you see this wood. diamond willow is actually a willow, when you peel off the bark it has diamond shapes in the wood caused from a fungus that grows and causes the diamond shapes.Im in the process of stripping and going to sell this wood to whom ever has a yearning for something new to work with. or i will sell it with the bark on it and let who ever purchases this unique wood to debark it themselves just to get the satisfaction of doing it all. please email me for more information thanks terry
post #9 of 10 Old 09-09-2008, 07:12 PM

View Ohio Ron's Photo Album My Photos
Remember to use a mask with working with fungi, some of that stuff can cause bad lung problems. I'd like to see a picture of that wood, sounds amazing.
post #10 of 10 Old 09-09-2008, 08:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Ron View Post
Start simple. Ask your wife/family about some small projects they would like. Shelves, coat hooks, small tables, book shelves, etc. Then look at some of the plans that are available on the web. Do a search for wood plans..........you will get a ton of ideas and no expensive special tools required. Let your imagination run away.

Remember, as long as you are enjoying it.........you are doing it right.

good luck and let us know,
Ron
Yeah, I'm a little worried about the cost of supplies and tools, but every time I tell my wife I want to build this or that for her she smiles from ear to ear.

Thanks again everyone for the advice.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode