Hi from Austin, TX. - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 9 Old 09-05-2011, 12:07 AM Thread Starter

View Sharptooth's Photo Album My Photos
Hi from Austin, TX.

Hey guys, my name is Nick and I just started getting into woodworking. I've been browsing this site for a month now and I figured I should introduce myself. I work as a software developer at National Instruments and I've decided to pick up woodworking as a side hobby.

So far I've only bought a dozuki saw and some chisels and have been playing with making dove tail and mortise and tenon joints. Right now I'm going for a low cost of entry, which makes it interesting trying to figure out how to stabilize the wood I'm working on when I only have a plastic folding table and some small clamps. As you can see from the pictures you learn how to make do.

I've since found a heavier wooden table that I can use as a bench and I've picked up some better clamps as well as a router that was on sale at Woodcraft last week. Now I'm just waiting on the router bits that I ordered to come in so I can work on some saw horses that I plan on making. While I'm waiting for those, I've been working on my first real project which is making a hammer out of maple. I'll try to post pictures as I go through it.

Thanks for stopping by,
Nick
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2829.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	28401  

Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 09-05-2011, 01:01 AM

View Corbin3388's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome!!! I will have to look you up next time wifey and I fly into Austin. There is no place like the salt lick.

Sent from my iPhone using Wood Forum
post #3 of 9 Old 09-05-2011, 03:15 AM
No Longer Here

View rrbrown's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome to the Forum Nick!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 09-05-2011, 05:33 AM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
post #5 of 9 Old 09-05-2011, 01:08 PM
Scotty D

View mdntrdr's Photo Album My Photos

Scott
OH, wait a minute ............Yep!.............That's what he said!

"Like" us on facebook
www.ScottyDsWoodworks.com
Watch Our YouTube Video
post #6 of 9 Old 09-05-2011, 02:02 PM

View phinds's Photo Album My Photos
welcome aboard. What exactly are you intending when you say "make a hammer out of maple" ?

You can never have too much pepperoni on your pizza or own too many clamps.
www.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/
post #7 of 9 Old 09-05-2011, 02:56 PM

View Noggin's Photo Album My Photos
Hey Nick, I'm in Austin as well and it looks like we're both at just about the same experience level. Today sure is a good day to be doing some woodworking with the cool weather. I never thought I say 90F was "cool" but it sure does feel like it! If you're not already aware of it, there is a lumber yard in town, Fine Lumber (http://finelumber.com) that has decent prices on lumber. FAR better than Lowes/Home Depot, and they're open on Saturdays. There are a few other places within a 30 minute drive that have better prices, but for the convenience, Fine Lumber is well worth it.

"I think the skirt is a little long for my taste (I like seeing lots of leg)" -- frankp
post #8 of 9 Old 09-05-2011, 07:06 PM Thread Starter

View Sharptooth's Photo Album My Photos
I actually tried to check out Fine Lumber on Saturday, and they were closed for memorial day weekend. I guess I'll have to try again later.

Today was a beautiful day especially with the shade in the garage and the breeze. Though I can do without the wind if it would help the fire fighters contain the crazy fires around here.

Here is what I'm talking about when I say make a hammer out of maple. I guess it's more a mallet. I also decided to use Indial laurel since I like the color and it was relatively cheap. I still need to shave down the top and do some final sanding. I'm still trying to decide if I want to stain it or maybe seal it. Do you guys have any suggestions for finishing this tool?

I grabbed some clamps from Harbor Freight for $4 and $4.50 for 6" and 12" ones respectively. Those are the clamps that you see in the pictures. I know they're not great quality, but on a budget, they seem to get the job done.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3045.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	28482  

Name:	IMG_3046.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	28483  

Name:	IMG_3051.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	28484  

Name:	IMG_3052.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	28485  

post #9 of 9 Old 09-06-2011, 07:19 AM

View Noggin's Photo Album My Photos
One of the tricks I learned (not sure if it was on here or not) was to pour some rubbing alcohol directly onto the wood to wet it. This changes the color to look pretty close to what it would look like if you just put some poly on it. I'd suggest that you do that first and see if you like it. Personally, I prefer the look of unstained wood, especially so since you inlaid it with the laurel.

Here are some more cheap-o clamps: http://www.harborfreight.com/12-inch...der-46807.html

"I think the skirt is a little long for my taste (I like seeing lots of leg)" -- frankp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode