Hi - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 14 Old 10-15-2007, 07:58 PM Thread Starter
jdtech

View Rex Bloem's Photo Album My Photos
Hi

Just a note to say hi from centeral Iowa. I have been reading some on this site for about a month and joined. I have been doing some woodworking for about 25 years. I am working to get my shop completed and in order if there is such a thing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 10-15-2007, 08:18 PM

View Daren's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Bloem View Post
. I have been doing some woodworking for about 25 years. I am working to get my shop completed and in order if there is such a thing.
I don't think there is. Complete probably not, in order definitely not unless you are cleaning and not woodworking. Welcome.
post #3 of 14 Old 10-15-2007, 09:55 PM

View Boardman's Photo Album My Photos
Hi Rex -

You lucky dog. I'm working on getting some of that beautiful chocolate walnut you guys have down there.

I have to get my shop "back in order" probably every 3 days.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 10-15-2007, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boardman View Post

I'm working on getting some of that beautiful chocolate walnut you guys have down there.
Down where? Oh I just checked your profile, Canadian eh? Yea the walnut grows on trees down here .
post #5 of 14 Old 10-15-2007, 10:57 PM

View Nathan's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome to the site Rex... glad your here!

Nathan

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot
post #6 of 14 Old 10-16-2007, 07:47 AM

View Bruce B's Photo Album My Photos
Hi Rex.
Welcome to our forum glad to have you.

B
post #7 of 14 Old 10-17-2007, 07:27 AM

[QUOTE][/Down where? Oh I just checked your profile, Canadian eh? Yea the walnut grows on trees down here .QUOTE]

Minnesotans consider anyplace that does not reach minus 20 degrees in the winter to be "down there" and a sub-tropical environment.
post #8 of 14 Old 10-17-2007, 08:07 AM

[quote=Boardman;11840
Minnesotans consider anyplace that does not reach minus 20 degrees in the winter to be "down there" and a sub-tropical environment.[/quote]

Now I am confused (as usual) why did I think you were from Canada? Minnesota eh?, close enough .
post #9 of 14 Old 10-17-2007, 08:12 AM

View woodman42's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome Rex.

Did you say tool sale?
post #10 of 14 Old 10-17-2007, 11:20 AM
Forgotten but not gone

View TexasTimbers's Photo Album My Photos
[quote=Boardman;11840]
Quote:
[/Down where? Oh I just checked your profile, Canadian eh? Yea the walnut grows on trees down here .QUOTE]

Minnesotans consider anyplace that does not reach minus 20 degrees in the winter to be "down there" and a sub-tropical environment.

Texans consider anything north of the Red River to be "Up There" and too cold to be fit for human habitation. Heck, even some south Texans view us northern Texans as part Yankee.
post #11 of 14 Old 10-17-2007, 11:35 AM

I lived in Tucson for a couple years, where they laughingly referred to the first 100 degree day of the year as when "the ice breaks up on the Santa Cruz" the bone dry riverbed that runs thru town. Usually late April or early May, and it just freakin STAYS that way until October. It is just so completely relentless...100-105 every day with cloudless skies. Having been raised in MI I just couldn't take it.

Up here when it gets to 25 below we entertain ourselves by going outside and whipping a glass of water into the air. It all freezes before it hits the ground. Just a big cloud of frozen mist. And you can sometimes hear the trees cracking from contraction. My sister has lived in the Twin Cities longer and recalls in '91 when it started snowing on Halloween night, and by the time it finished there were 36" of snow.

And don't worry Daren...to much exsposure to chainsaw noise loosens some brain connections!
post #12 of 14 Old 10-18-2007, 05:04 AM

View Bish's Photo Album My Photos
Hi from Australia
So youve been at it for 25yrs rex,sound like someone like me could learn a lot form someone like you.Ive only got my shed cleaned out recently and set my workshop up, so i'm just a learner.But I do enjoy getting dirty.(Much to the discuss to my wife!).
post #13 of 14 Old 10-18-2007, 09:31 PM Thread Starter
jdtech

Bish unforcantley I am mostly self taught. I started out by building my own garage. (24x32) Then sloooooowly added a shop in the front. I made some knick knack shelves and stuff. Then built a captians trundle bed. Also in added a deck on the house. Then we moved so it was time to start over. Had to wait 7yrs to build a new shop. Got the shed build and the inside finished. LOML needed a new kitchen and dining room and living room and mud room and garage. So now I am back to putting cabinets and etc. in the shop. Then I can start building again. To start with it is some cupboards and base units for the mud room and on and on. Someday with do some real furniture building.
post #14 of 14 Old 10-18-2007, 09:34 PM Thread Starter
jdtech

Sorry about the misspells. Fingers are more use to handleing wrench instead of keyboards

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode