Hey from KY - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 8 Old 12-22-2008, 06:59 PM Thread Starter

View ironhead's Photo Album My Photos
Hey from KY

Hey people. I.m Ironhead aka Sam and new to the forun and to woodworking for fun. I have done some carpentry hear and there over the years but made my living as an ironworker for 25 years and have been a high voltage lineman for 2 1/2 years now. Like doing pretty much anything outdoors. My wife and I are slowly decorating our house as rustic as we can get it. I decided to start making log furniture recently after our 3rd stay in an old log cabin. Going about it the old fashion way partly because I like the thought of building things like hey did way back when and partly because I don't have the funds for anything but hand tools.

If anybody has any experience cutting mortises and tenons using a draw knife, brace & bit, and chisel I would really like to talk with you and maybe get some pointers to cut down on the " Oh hell " factor.

Thanks for hearing me out.

Ironhead
aka Sam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 12-22-2008, 10:16 PM

View firehawkmph's Photo Album My Photos
Sam,
Welcome to the forum. I can't help you with the rustic furniture, but I am sure there's somebody here that can. Most of my stuff has a plug on the end.
Mike Hawkins
post #3 of 8 Old 12-22-2008, 10:29 PM
Senior Member Grandpa

View drcollins804's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome to the forum. I know you will find others who can assist you with your questions but want to welcome you from another Kentuckian. I live about half way between Evansville IN and Paducah KY and work in Paducah. Look forward to seeing some of your work. We really like pictures.
David
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 12-23-2008, 01:09 AM

Location: Amidst of 1000 acers of crawfish ponds under a 500 year old Oak grove. SW La
View Handyman's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via AIM to Handyman
Welcome to the forum ironhead. There are a few rustic builders on here. There is a fairly new section on here for timber framing, I bet one of the guys on there have all your worldly answer. And yes we like pictures.

Collector of Old Tools
Fixer of all things broke
Expert = Drip under pressure
post #5 of 8 Old 12-23-2008, 09:29 AM
red
Papa Red

View red's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome to the forum. Red

Red
post #6 of 8 Old 12-23-2008, 02:41 PM

View raskgle's Photo Album My Photos
enjoy the form and where in ky are you. Carl
post #7 of 8 Old 12-23-2008, 05:06 PM

View Daren's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironhead View Post
If anybody has any experience cutting mortises and tenons using a draw knife, brace & bit, and chisel I would really like to talk with you and maybe get some pointers to cut down on the " Oh hell " factor.
It's not that hard Sam. Sharp tools that cut not tear/split the grain is step one, I would say probably the most important step often overlooked. You probably want to throw a handsaw in the tool box for squaring the shoulders of the tenon (if you are doing that kind of work, with bottomed out tenons)
My last piece of advice, maybe should have been my first is go to the library and see if they have any of Roy Underhill's books http://www.uncpress.unc.edu/woodwright/index.html
(or just buy them like I did to have around) There is a wealth of knowledge between those pages and just entertaining reading IMO.

You might want to check out this site too ? http://www.greenwoodworking.com/Draw...6T%20Joint.htm

Last edited by Daren; 12-24-2008 at 05:37 PM.
post #8 of 8 Old 12-23-2008, 09:22 PM Thread Starter

View ironhead's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by raskgle View Post
enjoy the form and where in ky are you. Carl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daren View Post
It's not that hard Sam. Sharp tools that cut not tear/split the grain is step one, I would say probably the most important step often overlooked. You probably want to throw a handsaw in the tool box for squaring the shoulders of the tenon (if you are doing that kind of work, with bottomed out tenons)
My last piece of advice, maybe should have been my first is go to the library and see if they have any of Roy Underhill's books http://www.uncpress.unc.edu/woodwright/index.html
(or just buy them like I did to have around) There is a wealth of knowledge between those pages and just entertaining reading IMO.
Hey raskgle I'm in Owensboro, KY in Daviess County.

Daren I clicked on the link and my jaw dropped when I saw what underhill has written books about. I was going to go to the library and see what they have to offer anyway. now I will see if they have any of his books to read. Will definitely be buying them as soon as I can.
Thanks for the welcome guys and will post pics as they come.
Ironhead

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode