hey from the great state of texas - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 7 Old 09-07-2008, 12:24 AM Thread Starter

View red830's Photo Album My Photos
hey from the great state of texas

just getting into wood working,. still trying to build up on tools, but who would of thought itd be such an expensive hobby.. ive been fortunate as far a lumber, for i had some nice big dead cedar trees to work with.. cut them down, took an alaskan mill to it., and i now i got some nice cedar lumber to play with.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 09-07-2008, 10:52 PM

View Tony B's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome aboard

Lots of experience and help here.
Also, lots of Texans.
I'm in Kemah, southeast of houston, where are you located?

Tony B
post #3 of 7 Old 09-07-2008, 11:16 PM

View Jdurg's Photo Album My Photos
Yes, welcome! I'm in the same boat as you since I just got started in this hobby myself. Never realized how much I would love it, nor did I realize how much money I'd spend on tools. Hehe. Still, I think a nice, new power tool is worth eating PB&J for lunch at work the next couple of weeks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 09-08-2008, 12:22 AM Thread Starter

View red830's Photo Album My Photos
right now i am living in kerrville texas, but i am originally from galveston, your neck of the woods.. humidity got to be too much though.. geez is it hot down there..
post #5 of 7 Old 09-08-2008, 08:21 AM

You must be referring to a different Galveston. Humidity here is only 90%.

And yes, it can be an expensive hobby. As a strong recommendation, do not buy cheap tools. You will only waste good money. Wait till you can afford the better stuff. I'm not referring to a Rolls Royce, but at least buy a Chevy or Ford and not a Hugo. Go to the library and get some books out on jig making. Take all the time and care you would in making an accurate (not necessarily pretty) jig and you can get by a lot better than you think. If you find a particular book you like, then buy a copy of it. Use library first if you can. There are many junk books out there also and books are not cheap.
Enjoy your new hobby.

Tony B
post #6 of 7 Old 09-10-2008, 08:45 AM
Forgotten but not gone

View TexasTimbers's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome red. Don't get to thinking you have to spend a wad of cash to start making cool stuff. Only advice i would give you right now is don't buy junk when you do make a purchase, especially on your more important machinery such as your table saw, bandsaw, jointer, and other big $$$ items.

Okay I just looked up to see what Tony wrote as his reply is at the top of my screen as I type this and i see we are giving you the same exact advice, two Texans makes a majority on any field.

Don't forget about Old American Iron. American machinery from the 40s through the 60s in general although some older and some newer also are very well made. Also don't rule out 3 phase equipment either. In fact there is a whole philosophy behind considering this route. It is not for everyone but something to at least consider.

Anyways welcome aboard and remember, you can start making really cool projects now if you research. If you are on a really limited budget I would say a good quality circular saw with a high quality blade and straight edge coupled with nice plunge router would be a good combo, along with a few other essential basic tools such as a ROS and some basic hand tools. Alot can be accomplished with a circular saw and a router.
post #7 of 7 Old 09-10-2008, 09:29 AM

TT : Great minds think alike.

As a side note on 3 Phase, I had once bought a 3 phase mortising machine for $100 at a Vo-tech auction. I replaced the motor with single phase 220V motor and ended up with a great mortising machine.

Tony B

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode