Woodworking Talk banner

Hey Everyone..... new and need Baltic Birch.

2K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Ralphw62 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey Everyone..... new and need Baltic Birch. Long Island NY

I think I was a member here before, any I'm back

I live on Long Island, Hicksville. Hometown Is Binghamton, NY I miss it.
I do all kinds of stuff. be a master carpenter for a long time. started working with my dad doing home improvements when I was 16.

I was working in a brownstone in Brooklyn, had to fix a spackle job a new, (know it all)rookie did bad and slipped and fell 3 floors. Messed my back horrible, many screws and plates later I am up and around somewhat. trying to get my shop and tools in order again. 14 pounds has been my official limit to lift for a few years. learned to get through the pain with no drugs, well Advil,,, nothing stronger, don't help. I get help when I need it. hard to make a living these days.
Got pretty deep into building computers, know quite a bit about that. have a computer room/ studio/ I may do a few videos and see how that goes.. I must do something. bills keep coming.

I worked in Cabinet shops, kitchen and bath places, myself.
I would say I've been playing with wood /carpentry for 40 years, 57yo.
I carve Realistic water fowl, cabinets, remodel homes. many hobbies ,,, metal detecting. have a 68 Fairlane I'm restoring
Have a 1961 Grady White I restore completely, steam bending new white oak ribs.

I spray finish but not great, good enough.

I have loads of pic I need to find on the many hard drives I have stored away.

have a bunch of picture here,
https://www.facebook.com/Ralphw62/photos_albums

ANYWAY!!!!!! The reason I am writing today is I lost my source for Baltic Birch. I need to find a decent place where I can get a sheet or 2 5x5 3/8 - 1/2

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome to the forum, Ralph! Add your location to your profile so it shows in the side panel.

We have a local hardwood supplier and that's where I buy my BB, 5x5 1/2" is all they have (I think it's actually 12mm). Do you have a hardwood supplier up there? Louisiana is a long drive for BB. :wink:

David

#3 ·
welcome as well !!
I am more interested in the Grady than furniture any day !!!!
awesome job on that one for sure. I love wooden boats and
have had three Larsons in my past life.
and that duck is way too pretty to put in the water.
looking forward to seeing more of your projects.

#7 ·
You can find Baltic Birch at lumber yards. Call around first. It comes in 5x5 foot (60 x 60 inch) square sheets. Specialty woodworking stores like Woodcraft and Rockler sell cut pieces, like 12 x 24 or 24 x 30 inches, for example. There may be a store near you. Baltic Birch is expensive from them:
https://www.woodcraft.com/search?q=baltic+birch
https://www.rockler.com/shop?w=baltic+birch

There are different grades of Baltic Birch. If you price shop, be sure you are comparing the same grade and thickness. Baltic Birch is actually metric. Stated Imperial dimensions are approximate.

Around here (Southern California), you can also buy "Russian Birch" plywood. It is similar to Baltic Birch (many thin plies, all birch, no fills). It comes in 4x8 foot sheets. Prices are usually lower than comparable Baltic Birch, but I have seen them cost more, too. (My price comparisons were "per square foot" for the same thickness plywood.) I have not used it myself.

When I got back into woodworking a few years ago, I bought some low-cost plywood just to have some in stock for jigs and stuff. Based on my previous woodworking experience from the 1970s and 1980s, I expected something flat and practical. What I got was badly warped and useless. I went out and bought some Baltic Birch. It cost twice as much, but I never looked back. I like to keep Baltic Birch "in stock" at home - 1/4, 3/8, 1/2, and 3/4 inch. When I run low on a given thickness, I replace it with another 5x5 sheet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.