Hello from Wyoming - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 5 Old 11-25-2009, 12:59 PM Thread Starter

View Beachernaut's Photo Album My Photos
Hello from Wyoming

After lurking here off and on for a while, I decided to register and try to contribute to the community.

I would consider myself a true beginner when it comes to woodworking. My experience consists of shelves, some drawers, etc. Nothing complicated.
I've attached a pic of a basic display case I built about 6 months ago out of an old bookshelf from Walmart.
Note: The shelves and supports have been fixed so there is no bare wood visible, I don't have any newer pics.

I reciently finished building a heated workshop in my garage, so now I can tinker all winter long. Through the door in the pic is my hobby room where I work on my models. My wife calls it the mancave.

I've registered here primarily to share ideas and get help or suggestions on projects I have planned.
My first project comes partly from necessity, and partly from "No one makes what I'm looking for."
I'm planning on building an entertainment center that will fit the wall in my living room. It will not only be for the TV, but will also be used for book and DVD storage. The layout of my house doesn't leave much room for DVD racks or bookshelves, so I'm combining it into the entertainment center.
I've also attached a quick drawing of what I have planned.
I have some of it already drawn up on my CAD program, but I don't have it here at work.

Like I said, that's a rough drawing to give you an idea of what I'm doing.
The hardest part of the project is the book/DVD cabinet. The plan is to have 3 sets of vertical drawers with doors to hide them when not in use. The idea is to walk up, open the door, slide out 1 of the drawers and pick your book or movie. Each drawer will have 2 shelves on each side. It's kind of hard to explain.
I should be able to store up to 100 books (standard paperbacks), and all of my DVD's in the same cabinet.

I'll also have another similar cabinet off to the side for our larger hardback or odd sized books.

Each of these parts of the entertainment center will be separate so I can move them if I need. However I'm planning on having them tied together somehow so it works as 1 unit most of the time. That way I don't have to move the entire thing when I need to get behind the TV.

The last part I was planning for this was to have lighting on the top that'll shine up on the ceiling and help light my living room.

I'm still in the planning stages, and may still be for a while. I want to do this right. The last thing I want is a turd in my living room.
Questions, comments, and/or suggestions are welcome.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	11821  

Name:	workshop.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	11822  

Name:	Entertainment center.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	11823  

Last edited by Beachernaut; 11-25-2009 at 01:03 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 11-27-2009, 07:55 AM
red
Papa Red

View red's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome to the forum.

Red

Red
post #3 of 5 Old 11-30-2009, 08:20 AM
Forgotten but not gone

View TexasTimbers's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome to the neighborhood.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 11-30-2009, 12:23 PM

View Texas Sawduster's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome

Welcome from Texas.

One suggestion on the CD/DVD storage. If you are not planning on using pre-made plastic inserts, use shelf pins and drill the holes close enough together so the spacing is good for the plastic cases.
It will save time and materials on trying to custom make small slides or shelves for the plastic cases.
I am planning on using the pins for my EC if I ever get the room finished first.
post #5 of 5 Old 12-01-2009, 11:16 AM Thread Starter

View Beachernaut's Photo Album My Photos
Thanks for the welcome everyone.

Texas, thanks for the tip on the pins. Luckily, standard paperback books and most DVD cases are close enough in size (height and depth) that I can use the same size shelf for both.

When I'm a bit closer to actually starting this project, I'll post up my design for the community to check out.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode