Hello From A VERY Wet Connecticut! - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 5 Old 09-06-2008, 10:53 PM Thread Starter

View Jdurg's Photo Album My Photos
Hello From A VERY Wet Connecticut!

I just got into woodworking and think I have found a new, expensive yet VERY satisfying hobby. I bought my house just about a year ago and that is what got me into woodworking. I don't have a garage so I can't really set up a woodshop, and my basement tends to collect about two inches of water in the middle of the basement floor when we get heavy rain. As a result, I can't really set up a big woodshop down there either. So I have to make do with some limited space and basic tools as my only entrance to the basement is the door inside the house.

I can still make some nice things though, and I think I'll be here a lot learning new techniques and better ways of doing things. Thus far, my tool supply consists of:

Basic Hand Saws.
Craftsman Cordless Drill.
B&D Jigsaw. (Really cheap and I should probably get a better one).
RIDGID Fixed Base and Plunge Router. (Need to get a router table for it).
Chicago Electric 10" Compound Miter Saw. (Cheap tool in both price and function. I plan to get a better Miter Saw with laser guides eventually).
RYOBI Circular Saw.
Small Air Compressor with nail gun and staple gun. (Could not live without this).
Hand Planer.
Bunch of clamps and squares and measuring devices.

One thing I can do is clear out the one side of my basement that doesn't get wet, put some protective sealent all over the place, upgrade the lighting and turn it into a small workshop. I need to get myself a Tabl Saw as I'm currently borrowing one from a friend, and eventually I plan on getting a Jointer, Band Saw, and maybe a Drill Press.

Below is a picture of my first project that is still in progress.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sep04Pic1.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	4772  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 09-07-2008, 12:25 AM

Location: Amidst of 1000 acers of crawfish ponds under a 500 year old Oak grove. SW La
View Handyman's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via AIM to Handyman
Jdurg From one hurricane refugee to another, Welcome to the forum. There is a lot of knowledge on the forum. Just ask what you need to, someone will have the answer.

Collector of Old Tools
Fixer of all things broke
Expert = Drip under pressure
post #3 of 5 Old 09-09-2008, 07:12 PM

View diamond willow's Photo Album My Photos
Hi im new here. but i must say that sure is a great looking table. good job
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 09-10-2008, 12:48 AM Thread Starter

Thanks! I played my first game on the table last night, won $11 and the table held up. I got a lot of great praise regarding the table and I KNOW that this will turn out great now. :-)
post #5 of 5 Old 09-12-2008, 10:11 PM Thread Starter

In order to do proper work, I needed to have a workbench. So I went to Home Depot to pick up some 2'x4' 1/2" thick MDF sheets to make the top out of, and some cheap studs to cut to length for the legs. As I was going to bring the studs in back to cut to length, the nice older guy working the saw showed me a bunch of scrap 2x4s and 2x6s that were left over from a contractor purchase, and they were all 4' in length (or thereabouts) which is EXACTLY the length I needed. At only 51 cents a board, why the hell not? So I got my MDF and support beams for less than $20! For the legs I'm taking two of the 2x4s and gluing and screwing them together. I've already got them cut to length and the glue is drying overnight. With my new miter saw, whch I love, I was able to cut them to the exact length I needed (THANK YOU LASER!) and cut them perfectly level once they were screwed together.

Tomorrow I'll attach them all together with the support beams and then get the MDF out of the car. (It started downpouring while taking the lumber out, so I didn't want to risk having the MDF soak up all that water and weaken). The legs were cut to 34" high and I'll put the 2x6s up there (actually 1.5" by 5.5") on top of the legs and across the length of the table for extra support. With the 1/2" MDF on top, it will bring the workbench to a standard 36" high which is a perfect height for me.

I will also be applying a few coats of a waterproof primer to the wood and MDF to avoid any rotting or weakening due to dampness from the basement. (It's not that bad down there, but I am always overly cautious). Once it's all done, I'll secure my miter saw to the top of the workbench, have a shelf underneath the workbench to store my other power tools on, and have the first part of my woodshop completed.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode