Hello from TX - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 6 Old 07-05-2020, 08:28 PM Thread Starter

View EastTXFamilyFarm's Photo Album My Photos
Hello from TX

Hey everyone!

Just a novice here hoping to learn from everyone! I’m a 31 year old English teacher and am setting up a 16 acre farm with the rest of my family, so my projects will range from building gardens and coops to smaller, fun builds like toys and furniture. I’m currently building 2 toy barns for my son so I can get some practice. I’m mostly using a Ridgid portable table saw, but I would like to try working with some hand tools in the future.

Glad to learn from everyone!

- Daniel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-05-2020, 10:27 PM
Wood machinist

View difalkner's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome to the forum, Daniel, from a few miles east of you!

We do like photos so show us your shop, tools, projects, etc. whenever you're ready. What sort of woodworking are you planning or doing along with those toy barns?

David

David

Curly Wood Shop on Etsy
David Falkner - Woodworking YouTube channel and Instagram
Our music at church - current videos Airline Baptist BC Facebook Live
Romans 3:23
post #3 of 6 Old 07-06-2020, 11:14 AM

View WesTex's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome to the forum from an old English Major grad in Nolan Co. in west central Texas.

Youíll find a lot of woodworking knowledge here.

Since you are interested in getting into hand tools, you might check out Homestead Heritage in Waco. I took their weeklong introductory hand tool class a few years ago, learned a lot, and thoroughly enjoyed it.

A side benefit was that Lie-Nielsen offers students a 10% discount on all their tools. Iím not an associate, just a satisfied customer.

Again, welcome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 07-06-2020, 07:33 PM Thread Starter

View EastTXFamilyFarm's Photo Album My Photos
Thanks, Difalkner, for the welcome! Aside from toys, I will be soon be building an outdoor cedar bench for my wife, and I plan on picking up a few hand tools to practice some different joints.

WesTex, I’m glad you mentioned that! I visited homestead Heritage a few years ago, and they are actually a big reason i want to try some hand tools. I had no idea they did classes, so I’ll definitely check it out!

- Daniel
post #5 of 6 Old 07-07-2020, 12:04 PM

View WesTex's Photo Album My Photos
HH has several woodworking classes, along with a variety of others. Blacksmithing & husbandry are a couple I can think of off the top of my head.

I would like to take some of the other woodworking classes, but never seem to have the time available when they have the classes available.

I do highly recommend their introductory woodworking class.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #6 of 6 Old 07-11-2020, 01:35 PM

View Grandfather's Photo Album My Photos
Hello, my name is Nolan and I am listed here as grandfather. I’m 77, in the process of setting up my wood shop. In 2015 I had a complete workshop with most imaginable tools. I was poisoned 🤢 and spent 6 months in the hospital and lost my property and wood shop.
So I am starting new again at this age. I use to build large things from houses decks docks giant frogs and furniture. I am envisioning doing smaller more precise and imaginative tasks. My first will be an small Incense Cabinet with doors drawers pillars and decorative brass and copper accents. The wood will be Paduck Cycote Teak and some asst hardwoods for pillars.
Now I have one big problem! I bought a 14” floor model bandsaw at a yard sale. The owner plugged it in and it seemed to run fine, smooth with a light hum. There was some rust, the blade bearings were frozen and the blocks chewed and tires cracked. I owned a 4 speed HF model for several years with 1/2” blade and loved it. Took it home and replaced the blade bearings blocks and tires. Removed table and all rust and painted the bottom half. Took the old 1/4” blade which was tight off.
Bought a new 6 tooth 3/8” Olson 93.5” blade. Now when I put the blade on I have too much slack... if I try and tighten it the top wheel touches and binds and the blade is still slack???
I have a manual for a similar 14” HF model and the blade follows the blade-path perfectly. I had a friend who has owned a bandsaw and he could not figure it out either. Something obvious I’m missing but what. The traveling height block has a nut on the bottom that drops out of its socket when turned all the way down. But it goes back into the block and does it’s job raising it to its maximum travel.
I have measured the original 1/4” blade against the Olson and length is correct. I tried using washers under the nut and raising it sooner ( also tried hardwood under the adjustment screw to shorten travel. But none of it worked. My friend suggested a 1/2” thick steel plate sandwiched between the base and upper unit but that solution seems extreme. There has got to be something simple/stupid that I am forgetting or overlooking in putting the blade on or in adjusting the top wheel. When the top wheel is at its maximum and frozen against the rim cover I still have slack in the blade. Please help this grandfather.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode