Hello from Texas - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 13 Old 12-13-2008, 10:52 AM Thread Starter
BBQ Master & Competitor

View mjdtexan's Photo Album My Photos
Hello from Texas

Hi, I am new to woodworking and new to this forum. I have something specific that I want to build and cannot find any detailed information on it so I figured a woodworking forum would be a good place to start. My father and I have been giving the go ahead to get some good wood working tools for Christmas and we are ready to get started. I will probably read post and look at yalls pictures for a while before I start asking questions. Have a good day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 12-13-2008, 11:29 AM
Forgotten but not gone

View TexasTimbers's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome Tex,

Glad you and Pa got the okay from the bosses to get some toys, I mean tools.

When you start putting your shop together, don't just start buying tools at random. First thing you should do, is something most guys never think of.

1) Ask yourselves what types of woodworking you will be doing most. It can evolve and usually does but it's an important first step. For example, if you know you want to build mostly cabinets at first, then you know you will need . . . . LOTS OF CLAMPS. You thought I was going to say a table saw didn't you?

I am, but it's obvious so I thought I'd make tyou aware of an expense most guys don't figure in to the budget. Clamps are expensive, and I keep an eye our on craigslist frequently and snatch up good deals when I can. The goal is to have 1000 clamps of various sizes and flavors. One hundred will suffice though. That's everything from spring clamps to bar clamps and ratchet clamps etc.

Another example why it's an important question is let's say you and your dad already know you want to make a bunch of whirly gigs, bird houses, and all manner of that kind of artsy crafty stuff. If you know you won't be doing much or any panel work, you need a good bandsaw more than a table saw in this scenario. You could get by just fine without a table saw in this case and just purchase a sub-$100 guide rail system for your circular saw. I can't imagine a woodshop without a table saw, but I can see how a benchtop tablesaw would be all a small arts and crafts shop might need, and just take the $1000 you would have spent on a behemoth cabinet saw and buy clamps and more clamps.

If you ARE going to be doing a lot of panel breakdown and little to no resawing solid stock or cutting small curvy parts, then you could get by without a bandsaw for now and just buy a nice jigsaw.

You'll need a planer. period. You need a good block plane. I would be lost without my little Stanley 12-220 block plane. i love that cheap little bugger. Most will tell you that you'll need a jointer. That's true if you are going to be making a lot of highly precise projects with thin stock. A planer bed will not give you a flat side on thinner stock because the rollers will push the stock downward, and it will bow back up as it comes out. So add a jointer if you are going to be building nice jewelry boxes and humidors and fine furniture.

No matter what type of woodworking you and dad delve into, you are going to need a good router or two, and a router table is always nice. A random orbital sander, belt sander (benchtops are nice) and a drill press. It can be used for lots of cool things.

2) After you make a list, and have crossed out about 25 things because you had no idea how expensive putting a shop together would be, look at what's left. Now it's time to shop. How do you know which tool to buy? Should I buy all one brand? NO!

IMHO, buying tools from one manufacturer is a mistake, because you rob yourself of owning the best tools in each category. For example, if I bought nothing but DeWalt tools, I would not have looked at the Bosch European barrel design jigsaw which, at the time was hands down the best jigsaw on the market.

If I was shopping now, I'd take a hard look at Festool if I knew I was going to use a jigsaw a lot. If I wasn't might not be able to justify that much money on a tool I'd only use a couple times a year. In that case, buy the best, highest-rated jigsaw in the dollar range you can afford.

amazon.com is an excellent source to read tool reviews. They are USER reviews and I always put more stock in those than edipor reviews. This and other forums is also a great place to read tool reviews.

There' much more to putting a shop together than this, but I have to get out of here and get something else done today. This is a good start and others will hopefully fill in my large gaps.

P.S. Don't forget a good dust collection system in the budget.

Last edited by TexasTimbers; 12-13-2008 at 11:36 AM. Reason: Added Link
post #3 of 13 Old 12-13-2008, 03:49 PM

View Tony B's Photo Album My Photos
Hello from another Texan

Kemah, Tx. here. Just SE of Houston.
Welcome aboard.

Tony B Retired woodworker, among other things.

"Strive for excellence and settle for completion" Tony B
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 12-14-2008, 10:03 AM Thread Starter
BBQ Master & Competitor

Thank Yall for the welcome Texas Timbers and Tony B. Furniture and small to medium size boxes are what we are looking to make. We have selected a table saw, miter saw, planer so far. We are looking into a jointer and and bandsaw currently. We have NO experiance. I,ve been doing a lot of reading and watching woodworking shows. We are in Houston. I am familiar with Kemah, Tony B. I held a couple of contracts out in Texas City and surrounding areas. I came by way of 146 to those job sites.

I am really really wanting to make 3 and 5 gallon whiskey barrels but I can not find detailed information on them. I can find some general information but no detailed information.
post #5 of 13 Old 12-14-2008, 06:39 PM

View jwcole's Photo Album My Photos
Hello and Welcome

Jonathan
post #6 of 13 Old 12-14-2008, 08:31 PM

Mjd

I Googles "making barrel staves" and this is amongst other good sites.
http:/www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~flbbm/heritage/cooper/barrelmaking.htm

Barrel making is quite an undertaking for a first project, but then again I was always for just jumping right in. I have no idea what your funds are like but if you have to make a choice, you can easily live without a joiner or miter saw if you have a good table saw.
I build quality furniture and I own neither.
I found my air compressor with spray gun and air nailer is far more valuable than a band saw when it comes to furniture making.
Again, I am not familiar with your budget, but if you are on a limited budget, you may want to slow down the buying spree and buy stuff as you need it.
If you "Search" this forum, there are several previous threads on 'what is your most important shop tool'.
I am not a 'hand tool' kinda guy but many on here are and there are lots of pros and cons.

You would be welcome to my shop anytime I am around, just message me and I will give you my cell number.

post #7 of 13 Old 12-15-2008, 06:27 AM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
Whether or not you need a bandsaw depends upon the type of furniture that you are building and if you have one you can use. Rocking chairs are a case in point. I have build one for one granddaughter and am just starting another. These are almost totally bandsaw work. Hardly a straight line on them. If I did not have the base hobby shop to use I would be in trouble because I really do not have the space in my shop (my garage) for an owned bandsaw if I am to be able to still get one car in.

Whether or not you need a jointer is much personal preference and how you work. I only recently purchased a planner, but have had a jointer for 20 years. I always purchased dimensioned lumber that was finished and really had no need to plane. I recently started using some unfinished lumber. I also need the planner for the rocking chair as I want to make all wood on it, except the seat, 5/8" thick to cut down on the weight.

If you have the space and money then go for a "full set" of tools.

Welcome aboard and good luck on your future wood working.

George
post #8 of 13 Old 12-15-2008, 08:20 AM
red
Papa Red

View red's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome to the forum. Red

Red
post #9 of 13 Old 12-16-2008, 09:15 AM Thread Starter
BBQ Master & Competitor

Thank all of Yall for the warm welcome. I am on a budget and to be honest I am getting tools off of Craigslist. I know, I know, its risky buying tools that way but it is what it is. We may wind up with the band saw being new though. I found the Grizzly G0555 for $395 in the September 2008 issue 183 Better Home and Garden Wood magazine. It had a comparison between 5 saws and it won out and it was the least expensive of the bunch. Its a 14" saw.

The whiskey barrel thing is something that I really just want to do for fun. Been interested in it for a while now.

Tony B, thanks for the offer to visit your shop. I hear the Board Walk is open. I have done some BBQ cookoffs in Kemah. Thats my true passion, BBQ. Many many trophies.

Yall have a great site here. I love the furniture and jewlery boxes. I have a thing for the woods that are rich reddish colors for some reason.
post #10 of 13 Old 12-16-2008, 09:41 AM

Location: Amidst of 1000 acers of crawfish ponds under a 500 year old Oak grove. SW La
View Handyman's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via AIM to Handyman
Welcome to the forum mjdtexan. Now here a guy I could be friends with. Woodworking and eating. My 2 favorite things to do.

Collector of Old Tools
Fixer of all things broke
Expert = Drip under pressure
post #11 of 13 Old 12-16-2008, 08:02 PM

Padauk is THEEEEEEEEEEE wood.

We are fortunate in the Houston area to have Houston Hardwoods. They have a great selection of very high quality hardwoods. My wife enjoys going with me to pick up lumber. We both love padouk, it is our very favorite. I have sold a lot of padauk furniture. My shop is about a mile past the Boardwalk about 150 ft. off of Hywy 146.
Holler at me when you are in town.
Maybe we could trade shop time for BBQ? LOL

post #12 of 13 Old 09-04-2011, 05:26 AM
No Longer Here

View rrbrown's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by inspiration View Post
welcome to this forum. you';ll defiantly find some great solutions here-
Hey you may want to look at the last post date before you post on a thread. In this case it was 12-16-2008 which is almost 3 years before you joined.
The Following User Says Thank You to rrbrown For This Useful Post:
txpaulie (09-08-2011)
post #13 of 13 Old 09-08-2011, 04:41 AM

View bella10388's Photo Album My Photos
Hi !
I've just visited this forum. Happy to get acquainted with you. Thanks.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode