Hello from SW Washington - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 7 Old 04-29-2009, 01:44 PM Thread Starter

View PCrosby's Photo Album My Photos
Smile Hello from SW Washington

New to the forum, been woodworking in my dadís footsteps for quite some time. Now I am trying to improve what I make. I purchased a set of cupboards for my study because I was in a hurry to get them up. It was a four thousand dollar lesson on what not to buy. Now I am starting my own set and taking the others down for scrap along with the base units. My shop is still coming together but it will wait until I have some projects for the house done first. I bought a new Powermatic table saw and searched Craigís list for many more pieces. I built an out feed table that will double as an assembly table. Now I will ease out to the shop and get going. I drew up a set of plans but they always seem to change as I go. I have never built a corner unit before so it will be interesting. I was a little apprehensive to start cutting panels until I thought about using any mistakes in the shop for storage. Now I am once again fired up and ready to get started. I love the saw and jumped ahead to practice making doors with the shaper.
I have been looking for places to buy my face boards. Somehow Home Depot does not seem like the best place but it gives me a reference to start with. Once the rain stops I head to Portland Oregon to see what is available.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-30-2009, 12:14 AM

View RussBoyd's Photo Album My Photos
welcome

Does the rain ever stop there....or in Portland for that matter? I'm from Spokane and thought I'd say hi. I also have a powermatic and love it. Also built an assembly table that is my outfeed. Works great doesn't it? Welcome to the forum. Russ
post #3 of 7 Old 05-03-2009, 12:52 AM

View Sleeper's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome from the desert

I live in the desert where we hardly ever get rain. Iíve thought many times of retiring to WA because of the rain. The wife and I used to run around the street whenever it did rain. The neighbors thought we were crazy. My wifeís family live in Spokane and they know we are crazy. They claim we would get tired of it. I donít know, I get so tired of sweeping up sand. I just filled up a 5 gal paint bucket full of sand from my patio today and also another one a couple of days ago.

JohnnyB
Iím a die hard DIY guy. Donít tell me to hire someone for what I can do myself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 05-03-2009, 10:35 AM

View w00dw0rker's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome

Welcome to the club, yeah after you figure out truly easy it is to build a cabinet I'm sure you will really be kicking yourself. So here's a piece of advice to help prevent you from doing that again... My first corner unit I built housed a lazy suzan, when I took it to my customers house I couldn't fit it in the door. So cut the back corner off flat untill your under the widest opening you have to get into, also this will assist in installation seeing as the corner you are going into will not be 90'. Have fun with it!
post #5 of 7 Old 05-04-2009, 02:35 AM Thread Starter

My brother lived in Spokane for a few years. I like that side of the mountains too. I also have a sister in Phoenix. That seemed just too hot in the summer. But as soon as the sun hits the ground here it is time to start taking care of the weeds and grass too. There may not be a perfect place but this is home and we are used to it. We may not have sand but we sure have moss!

Thanks for the corner thoughts. Iíve been planning on leaving some room in the back for the angle just in case. Then I will shim to the stud in back after putting my screws in the face pieces.
It is slowly taking shape between the honey-does and getting called into work. Hopefully I get a full day to work on it tomorrow.
post #6 of 7 Old 05-04-2009, 02:51 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussBoyd View Post
Does the rain ever stop there....or in Portland for that matter? I'm from Spokane and thought I'd say hi. I also have a powermatic and love it. Also built an assembly table that is my outfeed. Works great doesn't it? Welcome to the forum. Russ
It sure does. I started out with a 4X8 sheet for the top and thought I would cut it down to 4X6 but didnít want to waste the two feet. Iím glad now I left it at 4X8. The extra room at the end is great to work in while not ripping large pieces. My dad left me a piece of plywood about an inch and a half thick for my second work table. Too bad it developed a warp before I got it but I thought I might pull it down with some carriage bolts. So far it still has a crown but maybe in time it will conform. I have table room now anyway.
post #7 of 7 Old 05-05-2009, 08:58 AM

View navydaddjtc's Photo Album My Photos
Hello from Mineral Washington

Hello All,
I am new to this site and looking forward to learning as much from you folks as I can. Mineral Wa. is in the foothills of Mount Rainier in the great state of Washinton. I will be asking advice on different subjects as I venture into this world of woodworking as a 3rd career. It will help supplement my retirement and mostly keep me out of my wifes hair.
I need help finding a replacement fence for a 9" Delta table saw. I have seen several on e-bay and bidded without much luck. These fences are few and far between. Is there a aftermarket fence that would work on this saw? The table is 22" in depth. If you have a link or a site that I can find one please let me know. Thanks and I am looking forward to a great time with you folks. greg

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode