Hello from Southern Indiana - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 6 Old 03-19-2009, 11:49 AM Thread Starter

View RIGOOD's Photo Album My Photos
Hello from Southern Indiana

I just recently found this forum and I like what I see. Seems like a nice friendly place. I've posted a few times and thought it was time for an introduction. What keeps food on the table is designing and installing media systems in churches (audio, video, and automation). MY passion is woodworking and recently received a contract to do all of the restoration, windows, doors, trim, furniture, etc. for 17 historic buildings locally. This is beginning to make woodworking profitable. Also just got together with an interior designer who is supplying quite a bit of work for her clients....armoires, entertainment centers, cabinets, etc. I am close enough to retirement (401K is now peanuts) that making some money through woodworking may ease the pain.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-19-2009, 12:05 PM

View Tom5151's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by RIGOOD View Post
I just recently found this forum and I like what I see. Seems like a nice friendly place. I've posted a few times and thought it was time for an introduction. What keeps food on the table is designing and installing media systems in churches (audio, video, and automation). MY passion is woodworking and recently received a contract to do all of the restoration, windows, doors, trim, furniture, etc. for 17 historic buildings locally. This is beginning to make woodworking profitable. Also just got together with an interior designer who is supplying quite a bit of work for her clients....armoires, entertainment centers, cabinets, etc. I am close enough to retirement (401K is now peanuts) that making some money through woodworking may ease the pain.
Welcome. This is a great forum. Lot's of great people and advice.

We used to own a farm down in southern Indiana. In Paoli Indiana.
post #3 of 6 Old 03-20-2009, 12:04 PM

View jdixon's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome to the forum. Lots of good folks and good knowledge on here. I installed the media system in our church. sound and projection system Always kind of wondered if there was a market for that kind of work. Do you travel around alot or mostly install close to where you are?

John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 03-20-2009, 01:56 PM Thread Starter

John,

I try to stay within 100 miles. There are over 1300 churches in a 60 mile radius, probably triple that in 100 mile radius. Certainly enough to keep me as busy as I want to be. Actually, business has become very good since the economy has slowed down.

Rick
post #5 of 6 Old 03-20-2009, 02:02 PM

Location: 2 1/2 hrs from anywhere in PA. that's Pennsylvania, the state of precipitation.
View creative novice's Photo Album My Photos
welcome

welcome to the forum....and congrats on the contracts...sounds very interesting to me! you didn't state what your background and experience level are.....i would assume 17 buildings is a huge contract. what kind of time frame are you looking at? and you mentioned the contract is for furniture too...are you to build that furniture? and what types of uses are these buildings for? really curious!!! sounds neat. welcome again. julie

"I tried it. I liked it. " Julie's 19 month old grandaughter, Feb 2009
post #6 of 6 Old 03-20-2009, 06:19 PM Thread Starter

Creative,

Actually, the powers that be with the historic buildings issue a PO twice a year and then let me know what they need, when they need it. The furniture is replica, writing desks, dressers, etc. (not often), more windows and doors than anything. There was a sect from Germany that settled here in the beginning of the 1800s. I notice you are from PA. This sect came to this area from Harmonie, Pa, they were here for around 10-12 years and then settled Economy, PA. They were quite interesting and very Shaker like, as is their furniture. If you google New Harmony, Indiana, you will gain a wealth of information. My background is that I love woodworking and try to do the best that I can and I have also realized we have a lot to learn.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode