Hello from Southern Calif. - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 4 Old 03-25-2009, 09:31 PM Thread Starter

View Sleeper's Photo Album My Photos
Hello from Southern Calif.

Hi everyone, I don’t know why I didn’t see this introduction section earlier. I was searching Google and stumbled upon this site. When I’m working on something I tend to get tunnel vision and miss stuff.
I’m almost 60 and I’m currently a Power Systems Technician by profession. I was an apprentice carpenter before Vietnam but decided to take advantage of the GI Bill when I got out of the Army and went to college. I’ve been dabbling in woodworking all my life, well since I discovered my dad’s complete workshop in our basement at 7yrs old.
My 1st project was a plywood jeep that I made while my dad was at work. I nearly cut my thumb off on his band saw and in my haste to conceal my injury, I left a big mess scattered all over the floor which my dad could not miss. My dad had a fit because I used some expensive plywood that he bought for a customer, but said my jeep looked pretty good. Well it was supposed to be a racecar, but after he said it was a jeep, I decided that was what it was. I never told him about the thumb.
My shop is mostly on wheels and consists of a Table Saw, Band Saw, Belt/Disc Sander, Router Table, Mitersaw and a Drill Press that doubles as a Mortiser. I had a 12” Radial Saw and a 6” Jointer but had to sell them many years ago during rough times. I have to wheel everything outside when I want to build something, so I don't do much during the winter except maybe at Christmas.

Last edited by Sleeper; 03-25-2009 at 09:41 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 03-25-2009, 09:52 PM

View firehawkmph's Photo Album My Photos
Sleeper,
Welcome to the forum. What do you mean you don't do much in the winter because of the weather? We are talking southern California, right? How cold does it get there? I'll gladly trade you the winter months. Well anyway, what's first up on the project list?
Mike Hawkins
post #3 of 4 Old 03-25-2009, 10:50 PM Thread Starter

View Sleeper's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawkmph View Post
Sleeper,
Welcome to the forum. What do you mean you don't do much in the winter because of the weather? We are talking southern California, right? How cold does it get there? I'll gladly trade you the winter months. Well anyway, what's first up on the project list?
Mike Hawkins
Well, Iím up in the mountains. It gets down in the 30ís and we do get a little snow here. Not as much as you get in Cleveland, but a little. Iím just spoiled I guess, I donít like wearing coats when I work.
I just spent a couple of weeks in Lorain, OH during February and it was snowing pretty good when I got off the plane. It was also snowing when I was leaving and all I could think about as I was looking at 2Ē of snow on the wings of the plane was that plane crash a few weeks before.
Right now Iím designing a hobby cabinet out of Red Oak to go in my living room. I want a large table that I can layout drawings or anything else that fancies me and be able fold it up without hauling it out to the garage. I have a lot of red oak in my stairs and want everything to match. Iím not much of a interior designer and donít know what looks good, so I think if I stay with oak Iíll be alright. Iím planning on a large table that rotates into a vertical position so as to not take up space when not in use, but also not be too high when closed. I also have a fold up doors so that it will not look like anything else but an oak cabinet. Iím still in the design stage right now trying balance between light and strong.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 03-25-2009, 11:44 PM

View firehawkmph's Photo Album My Photos
Ok Sleeper,
I take it back. Didn't think it got that cold where you were at. I give you credit for getting on the plane during a snowstorm. I probably wouldn't. Don't forget to post some pics of your hobby cabinet. Lorain is about 45 minutes west of where I am at. Weather is about the same.
Mike Hawkins

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode