Hello from Philly - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By jsdphilly
  • 1 Post By jsdphilly

post #1 of 15 Old 05-28-2017, 09:57 PM Thread Starter

View jsdphilly's Photo Album My Photos
Hello from Philly

Hi all, Jeff from Philly.

I recently moved into our first home, so I finally have room to have a little shop. Its just one corner of the basement, but I am so happy to finally have it. I built the work bench and the wood rack. I have never had any space to do anything, but I have always had an itch to get into wood work.

This seems like a great place to learn from people who know much more then me.

[What it looks like from the bottom of my stairs]

[Wood rack i made]

[Work bench i made]

[My fish tank keeps me company]

PS...I have no idea what I am doing, but i love doing it.

Here is the thing i threw together last night. It just got stained and tomorrow i will be finishing it. ITs the first thing I have ever really made more then little crafts/ small things.

Any feedback would be welcome, can't wait to learn from you all here.
hubaseball likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 05-29-2017, 09:19 AM

View woodchux's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome here Jeff, to this friendly WW forum, where there is always room for one more, and you get to choose how to make your sawdust. Good start on organizing your shop area, but you'll learn you will never have enough space. Consider putting locking wheels on some of those larger "toys" for building larger projects. Thanks for sharing the pics, enjoy your stay, post often, and be safe.
post #3 of 15 Old 05-29-2017, 10:53 AM

View Catpower's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome to the site Jeff

Nice looking project you made, and in a small space Woodchux is right, it is handy to be able to move the machines as needed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 05-29-2017, 07:47 PM Thread Starter

Luckily the Miter and the Ryobi table saw but like out pretty easily. I think you are right though, I am going to try and build some stands with locking wheels so i can slide them easily.

I finished staining the bookcase and finished it with a few coats of lacquer spray.
Catpower likes this.

Last edited by jsdphilly; 05-29-2017 at 08:51 PM.
post #5 of 15 Old 05-29-2017, 08:57 PM
Got Sawdust?

View Cowpokey's Photo Album My Photos
I don't think I've seen that many Ryobi tools in one place that didn't have a store front.

For someone that says they don't know what they're doing, your project turned out really well, you have natural ability.

I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.
- Frank Sinatra
post #6 of 15 Old 05-29-2017, 09:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowpokey View Post
I don't think I've seen that many Ryobi tools in one place that didn't have a store front.

For someone that says they don't know what they're doing, your project turned out really well, you have natural ability.
LOL, thanks...home depot sent me a 15% of coupon from the move. That combined with the Ryobi days sale and what I already had...it actually all was not even that expensive to get it all together. I also have quite a few Harbor Frieght toys in the bottom of the black cabinet.

Thanks for the kind words. I am really proud of it. The crown molding took about 50 cuts to get correct!! I need some resource on how to learn how to do it better!
post #7 of 15 Old 05-29-2017, 11:57 PM

View WesTex's Photo Album My Photos
That looks good.
If you put things on locking casters, spring for the ones that lock both the wheel and the swivel. Your stand, cabinet, or base will be much steadier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #8 of 15 Old 05-30-2017, 08:14 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesTex View Post
That looks good.
If you put things on locking casters, spring for the ones that lock both the wheel and the swivel. Your stand, cabinet, or base will be much steadier.

Thanks, I was just looking for them but didn't see any that lock like that. Any chance you know where to get them.

Thanks again
post #9 of 15 Old 05-30-2017, 08:28 AM

View woodchux's Photo Album My Photos
Two added comments - consider looking for books or on-line videos for info regarding "cutting crown molding". Also, your concern for finding "locking swivel/wheel casters". Rockler has them in their catalog/on line priced about $35-$40 USD, but have seen some in the "big box" stores too. Be safe.
post #10 of 15 Old 05-30-2017, 08:47 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodchux View Post
Two added comments - consider looking for books or on-line videos for info regarding "cutting crown molding". Also, your concern for finding "locking swivel/wheel casters". Rockler has them in their catalog/on line priced about $35-$40 USD, but have seen some in the "big box" stores too. Be safe.
Thanks, Ill check them out. This hobby is freaking addicting. I have been looking at router tables all morning!
post #11 of 15 Old 05-30-2017, 09:04 AM

View WesTex's Photo Album My Photos
The double lock casters can also be had thru Amazon.

post #12 of 15 Old 05-30-2017, 09:09 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesTex View Post
The double lock casters can also be had thru Amazon.

ahh, double lock caster. Didnt know how to search for it. I found them now, thanks.
post #13 of 15 Old 05-30-2017, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsdphilly View Post
Thanks, Ill check them out. This hobby is freaking addicting. I have been looking at router tables all morning!

You did `good for a first project

Yes this hobby is very addictive, but also be aware of it can turn you into a tool whore LOL

After seeing out son and DIL pi$$ away over a $150,000 inheritance, my wife and I decided we weren't going to leave them a pile of money, so I did quite a bit of updating tools in the wood shop, so I figured after I had spent about $15,000 on new machines and other niceties that I always wanted but was too tight to buy, I should take on a project, I am just about finished with new cherry cabinets for our house, used over 500 Bf of cherry to do the gig, plus about 10 sheets of Baltic Birch

I kind of bit off more than I wanted to chew LOL
post #14 of 15 Old 05-30-2017, 11:09 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catpower View Post
You did `good for a first project

Yes this hobby is very addictive, but also be aware of it can turn you into a tool whore LOL

After seeing out son and DIL pi$$ away over a $150,000 inheritance, my wife and I decided we weren't going to leave them a pile of money, so I did quite a bit of updating tools in the wood shop, so I figured after I had spent about $15,000 on new machines and other niceties that I always wanted but was too tight to buy, I should take on a project, I am just about finished with new cherry cabinets for our house, used over 500 Bf of cherry to do the gig, plus about 10 sheets of Baltic Birch

I kind of bit off more than I wanted to chew LOL
lol, I can only imagine what the wood cost alone! I am still trying to figure out where people get all this awesome wood. Is there anyway to get it even remotely cheaper...other then cutting down a damn tree.
post #15 of 15 Old 05-30-2017, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsdphilly View Post
lol, I can only imagine what the wood cost alone! I am still trying to figure out where people get all this awesome wood. Is there anyway to get it even remotely cheaper...other then cutting down a damn tree.

The price of the wood was mostly the reason it ended up cherry, I have enough ash or red oak to do it, but my wife really wanted cherry, so I called the saw mill I always buy from Phillips Forestry materials in DeKalb Tx, and asked what they were getting for select cherry, he asked how much I wanted I told him about 500 bd ft he said he only had 399 bd ft of select but he had about 300 bd ft of rustic cherry, and he would make a a good deal on it because it had been in stock too long, so he talks to his boss and said they would sell it for $1.75 rough, so I got it all. The rustic was 5/4, and had the best grain I have seen in years, really I have bought worse FAS

The dumb thing about it was I went back to get some more Baltic Birch and looked at the pricing board and they were selling the same cherry for $8 per bd ft

But I have seen several instances of that, the bean counter say it has been on the books to long get rid of it before thye find out how much it will be to replace it

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode