Hello from Orange County - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 12 Old 10-17-2012, 04:29 PM Thread Starter

View Anthony Vu's Photo Album My Photos
Hello from Orange County

Hi Everyone!

I'm very new to woodworking, so I joined this forum to learn more about the craft...and boy, do I have a lot to learn. I've always enjoyed working with my hands as I've helped my brothers remodeled their homes.

I'm a cinematographer who pretty much film anything I find interesting.

Anthony
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 10-17-2012, 04:41 PM
Log dog

View Dominick's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome to WWT

When it's rustic......it's rustic
post #3 of 12 Old 10-17-2012, 04:43 PM

View Dave Paine's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome to the forum.

Most people still have lots to learn. In my case the latest learning curve is wood turning.

We normally say "we love pictures of your projects". In your case, perhaps we can say "we love to see the videos of your projects".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 10-17-2012, 04:44 PM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
post #5 of 12 Old 10-17-2012, 04:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Paine View Post
Welcome to the forum.

Most people still have lots to learn. In my case the latest learning curve is wood turning.
I can't imagine the level of difficulty of that wood turning. I'm still trying to get perfect 45 degree cuts. I've learned that miter boxes and cutting by hand isn't very fun nor accurate.

Quote:
We normally say "we love pictures of your projects". In your case, perhaps we can say "we love to see the videos of your projects".
I'll definitely include videos of my amateur wood working.

Thanks for the warm welcome guys!
post #6 of 12 Old 10-17-2012, 05:44 PM

View Dave Paine's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony Vu View Post
I can't imagine the level of difficulty of that wood turning.
I'm still trying to get perfect 45 degree cuts. I've learned that miter boxes and cutting by hand isn't very fun nor accurate.
When I think about wood turning being difficult, I try to remember that there is a wood turner out there who is completely blind. Talk about having to get a feel for turning.

It sounds like you are starting with hand tools. Lots of help available in the Hand Tools forum.

Many people do not attempt to cut a perfect 45 deg mitre. They cut and then tweak on a shooting board with a hand plane.

http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ShopMad...%20Board4.html

I have had to use this technique now and again, even when I have cut on the table saw. In this case, it was not my angle being off, but my length not being exactly consistent.

If you have a hand plane, I can recommend making a shooting board.

If you do not have a hand plane, I recommend searching the hand tool forum for the threads on hand plane recommendations. This is such a useful tool. The challenge is there is no single plane which can do everything. Many of us end up with a decent collection. I "only" have about a dozen.
post #7 of 12 Old 10-17-2012, 07:26 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Paine View Post
It sounds like you are starting with hand tools. Lots of help available in the Hand Tools forum.

Many people do not attempt to cut a perfect 45 deg mitre. They cut and then tweak on a shooting board with a hand plane.

http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ShopMad...%20Board4.html
Thanks for the helpful link Dave! This is really informative. They don't tell you about this stuff when you're at Home Depot buying a $7 plastic mitre box/hand saw combo pack.

Quote:
I have had to use this technique now and again, even when I have cut on the table saw. In this case, it was not my angle being off, but my length not being exactly consistent.
I was in San Francisco with my girlfriend and took a photo at this booth.

It was great because it was using photo paper and chemicals to develop, fix and stop for a print out. They just don't make them like that anymore. The photo that printed out was 1.5"x8". Because of the sentimental value, I wanted to frame it, but neither Aaron Brothers nor Michael's could do anything that thin. They told me there was a minimum width of 7". So I just decided to build the frame myself. How hard could it be right?

After getting a few cheap handtools, I got frustrated with how inaccurate my cuts were. And decided to upgrade on a few woodworking tools. After borrowing my brother's table saw, buying a router table, and building a table saw sled, I managed to finally put this bad boy together.

It isn't perfect, but it was the start of this desire to build stuff out of wood and start learning the tricks of the trade to build things myself. I think the next project will be a bedside table.

Again, thanks for all the useful help along the way.
post #8 of 12 Old 10-17-2012, 07:50 PM

View burkhome's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome...Your investment and tenacity certainly show your desire...I like the ambience of the keyboard and moniters in the backround.

Roger from the Great Horicon Swamp
post #9 of 12 Old 10-17-2012, 08:10 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by burkhome View Post
Welcome...Your investment and tenacity certainly show your desire...I like the ambience of the keyboard and moniters in the backround.
LOL. Someone asked me to take a photo of it while I was at my desk. Instead of setting up a nice photo shoot, I just took it with my phone.

Hopefully my future photos/videos will be better produced.
post #10 of 12 Old 10-17-2012, 08:19 PM

View 65BAJA's Photo Album My Photos
Careful spoiling us with your best stuff right off the bat. Our expectations will only be higher in the future. Just kidding.

Welcome to the forum!
post #11 of 12 Old 10-17-2012, 08:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65BAJA View Post
Careful spoiling us with your best stuff right off the bat. Our expectations will only be higher in the future. Just kidding.

Welcome to the forum!
LOL. I started off with the iPhone photo of a frame. If that's not at the low end of the scale, I don't know what is.
post #12 of 12 Old 10-19-2012, 10:37 PM
Making sawdust in MS

View rayking49's Photo Album My Photos
That is a good looking frame. And your desire and tenacity say alot about you. Welcome to WWT and looking forward to further projects from you.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode