Hello, from North Texas - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 5 Old 04-19-2009, 11:03 AM Thread Starter

View timbertoes's Photo Album My Photos
Hello, from North Texas

Good Morning, all.
Found the forums while searching for the perfect finish

Was doing general hobby WW'ing for about 7 or 8 years, then "quit"..bought a Lathe and turned Game Calls for several years..then quit for a while. Garage shop started accumulating all sorts of trash and junk for several years. 3 weeks ago, some invisible bolt of lightning, or the wrong kind of Beer... and I cleaned up shop
Found several Cast Iron tools with Power Cords still attached!

Got on the 'net, sold off my old Dirt Bike and 4 Wheeler (taking up way to much WW space) bought a new Bandsaw and Planer.
And now...turning a few game calls, and plan on just having some good times with Planks of wood.

Well, that's my story and I'm sticking to it

Name is Bryan Speed, live in Van Alstyne, Tx. Near Sherman, Tx.

Best Regards,
Bryan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 04-19-2009, 11:19 AM
Forgotten but not gone

View TexasTimbers's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome Bryan. Sounds like you have a good woodworking plan. If you stick your head out the window and holler loud enough I might hear you. I'm in Fannin county, north of Lake Bonham out in the sticks.

Sherman is close enough that it's in my local calling zone, don't know about Van Alstyne. I have a couple of buddies who work at the Van Alstyne Foxworth door plant there, unless it's gone under too. FWG shut down a lot of stores the past few years and Bonham was one of the first.

Anyhow, good to see a local.
post #3 of 5 Old 04-19-2009, 11:52 AM Thread Starter

Howdy, I get out your way on occasion, going up to Lake Fannin and thereabouts.

I am about 12-15 minutes south of Sherman.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 04-19-2009, 01:30 PM
Forgotten but not gone

View TexasTimbers's Photo Album My Photos
Yea I've been through V A plenty just don't know if its in our local call zone. I'm less than 10 minutes from lake Fannin. We used to have our family reunions there in the late 60s - early 70s before it fell under gov control and into disrepair. Was glad to see it finally retaken and refurbished. That's one of the prettiest scenery we have in the whole county, standing behind the lodge looking out over the bottoms. Do you hunt it or camp or what? That whole area behind it and down into the bottoms is overrun with Bambi. I like just going walking into the bottoms and to the river, you can see black panther on occasion and now they are saying black bear is back but I've not seen one here yet.

I've fished it quite a bit over the years but have had limited success. A few good days here and there but rarely. I never fish for cat though always bass. So one day after I got back from a dive trip, I still had over 1200 psi in one of my tanks so I drove out there and dove it. You've never seen so many bait fish in a lake! Big ones too but I figured the big ones never get hungry. I dove it several times actually but that first time I didn't stay in long because I kept thinking I was going to dive headlong into a nest of moccasins. It was the time of year and I'm sure you're aware that's one of the most snake-infested places anywhere in this whole region.

The next few times I dove it I always donned my wetsuit and headed beneath the thermal layer and spent most of time in the cool water where the snakes aren't supposed to go. Lake Fannin has a underground spring that feeds the lake so it stays cool on the bottom like that in the summer. The deepest hole I found in the lake was 30', but I haven't swam the whole thing. It's pretty big for a mud hole. My dad grew up going to that lake as a tot. Says it used to be *the* place to go in the summer back in the 30s and 40s. Says if got an underwater metal detector he could show me where the treasure is from all the lost coins and rings that are sure to be down there.

PM next time you head this way and we'll try to hook up.
post #5 of 5 Old 04-19-2009, 02:54 PM Thread Starter

Interesting info about the Lake!
I have gone there to hunt a few times. Squirrel, and calling Coyotes.
Also like to take the camera out that way
Have seen one Hog. The Ranger told me, don't even worry about bringing the Hog back out... no "wanton waste" if you did not harvest the meat, as far as he was concerned. lol.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode