Hello from a "Newbie" from NC - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 13 Old 04-08-2008, 01:48 AM Thread Starter

View Bill Fitz's Photo Album My Photos
Thumbs up Hello from a "Newbie" from NC

I just want to say a quick Hello to all of you out there. I am a new woodworker after 65 years on this planet. I received a Dremel Rotary Tool for Christmas and have primarily been doing very small projects. I want to learn and am interested in plans and projects for small things appropriate to a very small work area.
I am a little "goggle-eyed" at all the new terms and tools but I am studying hard. Thanks for listening (or reading).

Bill Fitz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 04-09-2008, 12:46 AM

View daryl in nanoose's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome Bill, all it takes is one tool and your hooked
Tons of good info and everyone waiting to help out.
So just how small area to work are we talking here.
post #3 of 13 Old 04-09-2008, 08:12 AM

View Check twice!'s Photo Album My Photos
Welcome Bill

Like you I am fairly new to this forum, and have found a wealth of knowledge with someone always willing to help or give an opinion.

Have a great woodworking day!
John

Cleaning my glasses will not make me look any better.
But will make what I am looking at better!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 04-09-2008, 05:18 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs up Thanks to Daryl and John for the the welcome

I'm still goggle-eyed. To Daryl: I am talking smalllllll. I work in (out of) a 12X15 utility room which I share with a washer/dryer, freezer and shelves. I recently bought a small table (18"X20") which is small enough to carry out on our carport (the utility room is at the end of the carport, not in the house). I also bought a table with two sections which you can crank together as a vice (I cannot remember what that type of table is called). I got both at Harbor Freight, a store I have come to like very much. Anyway, the two tables and an extension cord to plug tools into allow me enough room to move around in on the carport.
To John: Again, thanks for the welcome. Welcome to the forum yourself. Your slogan reminds me of my brother. He was a carpenter and his mantra when we were working on something was "Measure twice and you only have to cut once".
So long for now.
I just noticed that I am talking to a couple of Canadians. Being from the south (North Carolina) it is nice to talk to someone from the north country.
Bill Fitz

Last edited by Bill Fitz; 04-09-2008 at 05:23 PM. Reason: I want to add one more comment
post #5 of 13 Old 04-09-2008, 05:27 PM

View Kenny K's Photo Album My Photos
welcome. put it to good use
post #6 of 13 Old 04-13-2008, 12:08 PM

View allenn's Photo Album My Photos
Bill,

Good luck with your little dremel machine.

I like harbor freight, too, for things that I do not mind breaking or breaking down (if electical), or too simple to get screwed up - like squares for church work, screwdrivers to be used as pry bars, epoxy, mallets, and HSS lathe tools. I wouldn't wanna buy a lathe there, though.

I think a table that screws two sections together and apart was called a Workmate when it was new.

How long ago was that?

bad, when I can't remember stuff.

allen norris
post #7 of 13 Old 04-14-2008, 09:22 AM

View woodman42's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome to the site Bill!

Did you say tool sale?
post #8 of 13 Old 04-16-2008, 02:23 AM Thread Starter

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenn View Post
Bill,

Good luck with your little dremel machine.

I like harbor freight, too, for things that I do not mind breaking or breaking down (if electical), or too simple to get screwed up - like squares for church work, screwdrivers to be used as pry bars, epoxy, mallets, and HSS lathe tools. I wouldn't wanna buy a lathe there, though.

I think a table that screws two sections together and apart was called a Workmate when it was new.

How long ago was that?

bad, when I can't remember stuff.

allen norris
Hey Allen,
I am still goggle-eyed! Thanks for the comments. I agree Harbor Freight products are not "top of the line" (to put it mildly), but I like the prices and the chance to try things out inexpensively until I know better what I am doing. I still feel like I am banging my head against a wall , but it feels so good when I stop. Besides, how much pressure can I put on an item with my Dremel?

You are right about the name of the table being called a Workmate, a Sears Craftsman product I believe. Not being able to remember stuff is one of the drawbacks of aging.

Have fun woodworking.
Bill
post #9 of 13 Old 04-16-2008, 02:30 AM Thread Starter

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodman42 View Post
Welcome to the site Bill!
Woodman42,
Thanks for the welcome. I don't remember saying "tool sale", but that is my kind of day if I find one. I'll see you around campus.

Bill
post #10 of 13 Old 04-16-2008, 09:13 AM

Those little workmate's are worth there weight in gold sometimes . I can remember having to work out of a small tent 8x10, had a miter saw and portable table saw in there that is until winter hit.
Have you ever thought of puting a pull down workbench attached to the utility room wall inside the carport, ?
post #11 of 13 Old 04-16-2008, 10:45 AM

View crafter1956's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome:

Welcome aboard:
post #12 of 13 Old 04-18-2008, 12:14 AM Thread Starter

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by daryl in nanoose View Post
Those little workmate's are worth there weight in gold sometimes . I can remember having to work out of a small tent 8x10, had a miter saw and portable table saw in there that is until winter hit.
Have you ever thought of puting a pull down workbench attached to the utility room wall inside the carport, ?
Hey Daryl.
I am getting some good use out of my Cheapo Workmate. I really like it. I had a real Workmate in another life (pre-divorce) .
A pull down workbench is a great idea, but I don't think I have the room and still have adequate space in the carport. I will do some thinking on it and measuring and other research. At my experience level it may be a job over my head. I'll let you know. Thanks.
Bill
post #13 of 13 Old 04-18-2008, 12:35 AM

Here is something only I would think of Okay I'm a little bored tonite if anything should be worth at least a good laugh
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	untitled.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	15.4 KB
ID:	3134  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode