Hello from a Newbie - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 3 Old 02-16-2017, 11:04 AM Thread Starter
Just a Hobbyist

View nkdenton's Photo Album My Photos
Hello from a Newbie

Long-time shop-piddler, mechanical engineer, some-time gearhead, now with 3 boys raised, out of college and out of the house freeing up the disposable income to finally have a wood shop where I can play, learn, and make stuff. Appreciate the wealth of knowledge already on this forum and the help to come.

NK Denton

What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly - Thomas Paine, Common Sense
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 02-16-2017, 03:00 PM

View woodchux's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome here nk, to this friendly WW forum where there is always room for one more. What aspects of woodworking are most interesting to you? If you have any "toys", consider making a list and the condition of each tool, then add or replace where necessary. Enjoy your stay, and be safe.
post #3 of 3 Old 02-18-2017, 01:39 AM Thread Starter
Just a Hobbyist

View nkdenton's Photo Album My Photos
Many thanks - the Boss has my first project lined up for me...built-ins for the family room as part of a make-over/update. After that will come recessed drawers mounted in the knee wall of an upstairs bonus room / bedroom and a window seat storage box. The toys I already have for the task are pretty entry-level:
PorterCable 220 table saw on the collapsible contractor rolling frame (plans for nicer shop suitable DIY saw table on my desk), just received today the dado throat plate insert from PC and an Olshun dado set from Rockler,
Craftsman Limited Edition 1.5 hp router (10th anniversary present from her 22 yrs ago) mounted in a Skilsaw bench top router table - but I'm building a nicer table to mount my Kreg router top/fence combo and DowelMax router lift on, which will probably host a second, larger router yet to be purchased.
I've got some cheapo Harbor Freight additions for the shop: small drill press, belt/drum sanding station, and a band saw.
I'll use a newly purchased Rigid shop vac with plenty of extra hose and adapter connections for the power tools.

I have virtually no decent hand tools yet: will be looking to get started purchasing wood chisels, block planes, etc - will be looking for advice on where to start and what the essentials are so feel free to suggest away.

Also have a vintage tabletop scroll saw (either a Craftsman or a Dremel, perhaps) inherited from my father in law. No jointer or planer yet - those will probably be Delta when the time comes, at least that's what I have on the wish list. I'm organizing my shop in a 275 sq ft basement room that currently has my reloading bench and supplies so will add a workbench and other amenities as I go and figure out how to arrange the different work stations. I'm am really excited to have a good variety of toys to start with and will upgrade to better equipment as my skills increase and the limitations of my tools start showing.

What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly - Thomas Paine, Common Sense

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode