Hello from New Hampshire - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 6 Old 10-29-2011, 11:54 PM Thread Starter

View BernieL's Photo Album My Photos
Hello from New Hampshire

Lights are flickering during our 1st "early" NE storm of the season so if this pops up as my 2nd intro post, I apologize and would like to blame mother nature who seems to be a bit confused this year.

I'm new to this forum, but not to wood working. I'm not a cabinet maker nor a weekend warrior. I would like to introduce myself as a craftsman and hope to live up to my self appointed expertise.

I live in Greenville NH and have an ultimate workshop (by my standards) which I built myself. I dug out the space from under my barn which had a walk in space, half of which was a crawl space. Living here in NH, I had to deal with lots of great big granite boulders and ledge. But my workshop is 24 X 24 and the ceiling height is 6ft 3inches. I had to avoid lots more serious digging, but managed to fit a wood floor into my shop. I did leave this unfinished so the shop could breath. There was a moister problem. The wood floor was a must because I have serious arthritis. But I took an early retirement with the Teamsters Union and currently living on easy street.

Been married 36 years to a wonderful lady who earned her Masters degree after raising our 4 sons. She gives me health insurance and I do the cooking (love it) and the house work (including windows).

Hope to add as much as I take from this site. Glad to be aboard!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 10-30-2011, 05:34 AM

View aardvark's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome from a wood piker and new member.
I've been in the construction end of wood and a architect/builder/bldg commish/ for 29 years and am in a semi retirement (not by choice but by economy...not much work out there in the construction industry...dead actually). But I'm new to wood working (or in my case butchering, I guess). I deal in log based furniture and my work is far from Norm Abrams fine joinery. My other hobby love is automotive resto.
Likewise, married 35 years to a very tolerant lady who puts up with 6 cars and the daily drivers sitting outside, as well as wood chips from a chainsaw constantly needing swept off of the driveway and stacks of cut logs/slabs. She's nominated for sainthood, and we are not even Catholic.

What kind of works are you doing?
And welcome.
God Bless(es)
post #3 of 6 Old 10-30-2011, 05:42 AM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 10-31-2011, 12:26 PM

View Texas Sawduster's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome from Texas !!!

Welcome to the forum.

Tools are like guns, You can never have enough.
Where did I put that tape measure???
post #5 of 6 Old 10-31-2011, 10:42 PM Thread Starter

View BernieL's Photo Album My Photos
Thanks for the welcome... got our power back on today after only 36 hrs. Unlike lots of other folks in the NE, we had minor damage in comparison because our trees were trimmed back in Dec 2008 when 90% of all utility poles in our area were destroyed by an ice storm.

Aardvark - I understand your "sainthood" statement. I've been a practicing catholic all of my life and my wife decided to join me about 15 years ago. When we inquired, the priest looked at me and told her he would like to skip that minor detail and make her a saint.

As for building, I'm finishing a cabinet for a sister of mine. It's my 1st attempt at inset drawers and doors and I'm pleased so far. Its' been quite a challenge. I'll be glad to post pictures once I figure out this site. I'd like to get a profile picture first.

Cabinetman - Nice scroll work for my welcome. I also like to scroll and will be proud to show some it. I accomplished my 1st intarsia project last winter and incorporated it into a piece of furniture I made for one of sons. My scroll saw is an important part of my workshop.

Last, but not least, thanks for the welcome from the biggest state in the union (I won't tell anybody about Alaska). Hope you escaped the fires of this past summer and I also hope you had less then 30 consecutive days of 100' + weather. You folks remind me of how much I love NH.
post #6 of 6 Old 11-02-2011, 07:32 AM

View Bryanatkinson's Photo Album My Photos
I hope that I'm not too late to welcome you, BernieL.
It's nice to have another experienced person entered the forum. I'm waiting to see your projects, please show them in the 'Project Showcase' section.

My website :
Corner Shelf Shop

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode